1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Springs

I am trying to decide what to do with my springs. I want to lower the truck some but not in the weeds. I have about 2 21/2 inches clearance between the front tires and the fender lip. I want to lower it to having only about an inch. I was wondering if a mono leaf with stock eyes get me where I want it to be. I am also will need to do something on the rear to bring it down leaving a little rake to it. Do the springs on the rear with reverse eyes need the front hanger flipped like M50 suggests? I talked to a guy at a cruise night that had a 53 and he had his stock main spring rearched the reversed way to make the eyes reversed and he did not flip the hanger. He did raise it on the frame.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my truck with a Mustang II IFS installed and the rear springs were stock with leafs taken out. I replaced the broken rear springs with std eye monos and ran that setup for many years. I was never happy with the ride. It sat right, but rode very stiff, and shuddered over potholes. I needed traction bars to stop wheel hop at even moderate acceleration.

I recently replaced the rear monos with M50's smooth and short rear springs. I couldn't be more pleased. The truck has a great ride and is at a very good ride height. I did flip the front spring hangers and use 2" lowering shackles. The truck has about a 2" rake.

If I had a stock truck (knowing what I know), I would use Mid Fifty custom springs front and rear. It is not the least costly option, but considering the money I spent finding out what works, it would be a lot cheaper to start out that way.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
If you have a copy of Midfiftys catalog there is page there that tells you what will lower your truck and by how much, very good information like Randy suggests. The page number I'm refering to is pg.126 and can be view on thier web site www.midfifty.com

Old 09-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I have looked at M50's catalog over and over. It just is hard for me to figure out for sure exactly how low they will lower my truck from where it sits now. I am sure the old springs are sagging so it is not sitting had stock height. Plus I have 15in tires and wheels on it. Randy did not like the mono on the rear, which I was not planning on using, but am thinking about the mono on the front with stabilizer bar. Will it ride stiff like it did on the rear of Randy's truck?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:51 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Wish I could answer your question Pappys53 but can't as I'm running with coils on all 4 corners. I believe AXracer has lowered his panel and is still using the straight axle up front, it might be to your advantage to pm him unless he's reading this and joins in. Hope you can get this sorted out. If I can afford to build my pickup after I finish my panel I will likely be going the same route as you are with your pickup.
John

Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 AM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased a set of front springs from Posie. Theirs are dual leaf. I should have everything back together by midweek.