gas smell

Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 AM
62surftruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas smell

I put a new fuel pump on my 170 engine and there are no leaks at all, problem is when I first start my truck it kicks right over with the manual choke on. I'll drive it around and when I stop and turn it off and go into a store or something I'll come out and it smells of gas in the cab and it will have a lot of trouble starting back up. I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal to the floor for it to kick over and it runs like crap for about 5 seconds then it idles fine. Sometimes I can't restart it and the gas smell is very strong. I checked to see if any gas was leaking anywhere and there is none. Any ideas is would be helpful. Thanks Tom

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like the float is too high or the needle is not seating properly and the carb over flows in the throttle body. Thus giving you the gas smeel and flooding troubles starting.
Also the fuel pump maybe giving too much pressure. It may need some time to break in. You could try the old fuel pump back in and see what if this still happens.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Irisher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '67 has the same problem with smell. Exhaust and gas. Just got done insulating the engine compartment, which really quieted it down, but still has the exhaust and gas smell. Frustrating.

Search this Thread