2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 PM
jmm137
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Speaker Replacement

I just recently picked up a 2007 supercrew fx4 f150 and im looking to replace the headunit, door speakers and possibly add an amp for the new speakers.. My question is what size are the factory speakers? Also, should I go with a component set for the front doors and where is a good place to mount the amp? (will be adding a second in the future for a sub)

Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jmm137
I just recently picked up a 2007 supercrew fx4 f150 and im looking to replace the headunit, door speakers and possibly add an amp for the new speakers.. My question is what size are the factory speakers? Also, should I go with a component set for the front doors and where is a good place to mount the amp? (will be adding a second in the future for a sub)
They're 5x7's. Yes, get components for the front. Depending on the size of the amp you get there is room to mount it behind the rear seat. Some folks also mount them under the passenger seat or take out the jack and mount there. I used to have one mounted under the passenger seat, but it was a tight fit and passengers would often end up changing the settings with their feet. So behind the seat it went.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
jmm137
Freshman User
Are they 5x7's all the way around? What size component speakers should i go with for the front? and what size amp were you running? As of now im going with a Kewood Excelon KDC-X794 head unit and i just need to pick out what speakers and amp to run

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Yes, 5x7's all the way around. I use 5x7 components in the front, but they seem harder and more expensive to find these days. You can go with 5.25in components in the front with a special mount or 6.5in components with some modifications to the door.

As far as amps, I just use my Pioneer's internal amp to power mine and a 100watt amp for the sub under the rear seat. For speakers I use JL Audio and Polk Audio.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with bridge that the head unit's power is sufficient enough to power your door speakers, even the componet set in the front really. Of course if you wanted to go big, why not look for a 5-channel amp? That way you could power all 4 doors, and have a designated sub channel for the sub you plan to add, all in one nice clean package.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
jmm137
Freshman User
well if the headunit will be good enough to power the speakers i may just put the extra money into a sub.. I have a set of 6.5 memphis component speakers from my old suv, would those require much modifications to the door or should I just sell those and get a set that will fit correctly?

I was looking through ebay last night and found some complete setups that have a box, sub and amp all included for once price so i may look into getting something like that

Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jmm137
well if the headunit will be good enough to power the speakers i may just put the extra money into a sub.. I have a set of 6.5 memphis component speakers from my old suv, would those require much modifications to the door or should I just sell those and get a set that will fit correctly?

I was looking through ebay last night and found some complete setups that have a box, sub and amp all included for once price so i may look into getting something like that
A 6.5" is going to require some cutting. The door holes are prepped for a 5x7" so at any point the widest part of the narrowest portion of the opening is 5".
Personally, I'd sell what you have and get something new that's meant to fit the opening. Just my $.02. I'd rather not cut up, or pay someone to cut up, my new doors.

There are some 5x7" components out there. Check out Crutchfield or your local store. Most local audio shops, at least around here, will give you a labor discount, or more, if you buy a complete system at once. If uou have them install, then their work will usually come with a warranty. I like that peace of mind for a few extra $$

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
jmm137
Freshman User
yeah I think im going to just sell what I have and get something new. I actually have a friend that works for a local audio shop who I have had put all my systems in and he does really good work at a good price.. I have been looking around on crutchfield but I haven't seen any 5x7 component speakers

Old 09-24-2010, 11:54 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Actually, I think the door speakers are all 6"x8" but that many speakers fit both. Here's what I ordered from Crutchfield:
Infinity Reference 6820cs 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way Component System

Old 09-24-2010, 02:04 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
I just checked out Crutchfield by putting in the info for my 2006 SCrew. They have 4 choices for the 5x7/6x8 openings for component sets. Infinity Reference and Kappa (I've had Reference's in one of my older Explorers -- loved the sound). Also JL Audio has two choices but D@MN they are expensive.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
tooldad
Elder User
I have Infinity Reference components in the front and Kappa coax in the back plus factory sub. Sounds pretty awesome. Could always spend more money, but why bother.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Also JL Audio has two choices but D@MN they are expensive.
Indeed, but they sound absolutely incredible. I like the infinity's as well, but I find they need a baffle to handle the mid to lower ranges, I wouldn't suggest sending anything lower than 80hz to them. Their components are also a little bright, so take advantage of the attenuation settings on the crossovers.

I had a five channel Infinity amp installed in my Expy and loved it. Plenty of power and easy to wire. You might be able to mount one behind the seat, but I would be concerned that it might not be able to dissipate heat...it was humongous.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 PM
tooldad
Elder User
Yes, I turned the antentuation down. Still bright, but really clean. And the sub picks up the bottom end. I want to install an amp, and was thinking a 5-channel behind the seat. Others have installed them behind the seat. No reported problems.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:51 AM
jmm137
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tooldad
I have Infinity Reference components in the front and Kappa coax in the back plus factory sub. Sounds pretty awesome. Could always spend more money, but why bother.

Would you buy those speakers again or would go with something else?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:00 PM
tooldad
Elder User
Probably. Also had good experience with Polk Audios in my Suburban. The reason I did not buy them for the F150 is that the Infinity's were on sale and the PA's were not. But very happy with them.

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Replacement