1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Starting: 03 F250 Fx4 V10

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not Starting: 03 F250 Fx4 V10

Ok, bought this truck Sunday. 116xxx miles. Drove it from Houston back to San Antonio. Drove it all day yesterday, then last night I went to start it and nothing happened. Didn't try to turn over, nothing. Seemed to me like a dead battery, bought a new one this morning, turn key, nothing. Any ideas? Not too mechanically inclined, so dumb it down a little.

Thanks!

Jorden

Old 09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably your starter or starter solenoid. You turn the key over to the cranking position and it does nothing? No sound, no turning over, nothing?

Happened to me a couple months ago. 75k miles on an 02 V10. Turned out to be the starter. Just randomly happened one day.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Probably your starter or starter solenoid. You turn the key over to the cranking position and it does nothing? No sound, no turning over, nothing?

Happened to me a couple months ago. 75k miles on an 02 V10. Turned out to be the starter. Just randomly happened one day.

Yeah, turn key to start it and nothing happeneds at all.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Future_LEO
Very possibly a starter, but check the fuse panel just in case.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Bah, double post.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Seemed to me like a dead battery, bought a new one this morning, turn key, nothing. Any ideas?
Do you hear the starter solenoid click when you turn on the key? If not, I would start there. If you hear the click, but then nothing when you crank it, I would check the starter.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
I hear nothing when I turn the key to start, i did hear a small "rev" or "wind" type of noise from something after i try and start and turn the key back to the position where you can pull the key out. It happened about 2-3 seconds after I turn the key to try and start it. Cant really pin-point what it is coming from but its a pretty quick sound then stops.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
DavidB
Elder User
Automatic transmission?

I had a problem like this with my 2000 F350 V10, automatic transmission. I checked everything under the hood and could not find anything wrong. If you put 12V on the starter solenoid where it connects to the ignition switch, it would crank fine. The only other thing, besides the ignition switch itself, that looked suspect from the wiring diagram was the neutral safety switch on the transmission. I pulled off the connector and sprayed a liberal amount of contact cleaner on it. reconnected it and the problem was gone. After a couple of months of driving and cranking it every day, the problem has not returned.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Gonna have someone replace my starter hopefully tonight. If that doesn't work (worst case scenario) what should I look at next? Also, does anyone have a Fuse box diagram for the 03 F250 v10? I don't have a manual.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
I hear nothing when I turn the key to start, i did hear a small "rev" or "wind" type of noise from something after i try and start and turn the key back to the position where you can pull the key out. It happened about 2-3 seconds after I turn the key to try and start it. Cant really pin-point what it is coming from but its a pretty quick sound then stops.
Gonna have someone replace my starter hopefully tonight. If that doesn't work (worst case scenario) what should I look at next? Also, does anyone have a Fuse box diagram for the 03 F250 v10? I don't have a manual.

Thanks.
Is the sound you are hearing the fuel pump? When you turn the key on you should hear the solenoid click just before the engine starts. If you aren't hearing that click, then I would check the solenoid before I replaced the starter. When the starter goes bad you will still hear the solenoid click, but the starter doesn't turn over.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Its not the fuel pump that I hear, I don't even hear the fuel pump. The noise comes after I try to turn the truck over and then turn the keys back towards me.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Its not the fuel pump that I hear, I don't even hear the fuel pump. The noise comes after I try to turn the truck over and then turn the keys back towards me.
Just my opinion, but I would hold off on changing the starter until you know that it's the problem. I don't like doing work twice or spending money I don't have to. The solenoid is the easiest thing to check and it will also help tell you if the starter is bad. If you "jump" the solenoid and it starts, then the starter is good and the solenoid is bad. If you jump the solenoid and the starter still doesn't turn over, then more than likely it is the starter. If that is the case, I would still take the starter off and have it tested (Advance does it for free) before buying a new one.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there much slop in the shifter on the colum?
I had mine fail to start the same why yours did. It looked like it was in park, but it was really right on the edge of reverse and so it would not start.

Try and push the shifter all the way to the left and forward, then turn the key.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Originally Posted by bill11012
Is there much slop in the shifter on the colum?
I had mine fail to start the same why yours did. It looked like it was in park, but it was really right on the edge of reverse and so it would not start.

Try and push the shifter all the way to the left and forward, then turn the key.

NO F'ING WAY! I read this, and said, damn that sounds too easy but I'm gonna go check. And WOW! I'm an idiot! It looked like it was in park, but it wasn't and it started. Holy ***** dude. THANK YOU!

Classic, "Here's your sign!"

This is a classic fail! Wait till this makes it to the chevy/dodge forums! lmao

Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
This is a classic fail!
Which part? You randomly buying and replacing parts that weren't needed or the truck not starting in the first place? I'm just messing with you, glad you got the problem solved though.
Good post Bill. I would rep you, but I have to spread it around some first.

Quick Reply: Not Starting: 03 F250 Fx4 V10