Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Freshman User

MDSLIGHT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Speedometer/Odometer not working

Hey guys and gals, I have a Class C motor home with a Ford E350 front. It is a 1992 with a 460 EFI engine and I believe it has the E40D tranny. My problems started on my last trip. When I stopped for gas and restarted the motohome the odometer was not displaying. Shortly after I noticed the speedo not working as well. Then I tried the cruise control and that to did not work. On top of all this the tranny started to get hot. The tranny will usually stay between 170 and 190 depending on hills. Now it is running at 220 to 240. I have done research and everyone says speed sensor. I replaced the speed sensor and still having the same problem. When I unplugged the speed sensor the ABS light comes on. Does that mean the sensor is reading? So what else could it be? I also noticed that the part numbers are a bit different for the sensor. F37F-9E731-AA is the one I pulled out of the rear diff. F85Z-9E731-AB is the new one that I put in and still not work. Any thoughts??
Thanks Matt
Old 09-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Most likely the PSOM (programmable odometer/speedometer module) went bad. It's integral to the speedometer and receives the signal from the speed sensor. They can be rebuilt, or you can buy a used cluster from a junk yard and swap it. PSOM also stores vehicle mileage so if you end up with a used one, whatever miles the donor rig had will now show on your rig.
PAA Member #2
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
96 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD - totaled 4/17/11 and sorely missed
God speed PaysonPSD, you will be missed
ThumperTalk / All Things Moto! / Back Country Rebels / SAWS / BRC
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Freshman User

Would the PSOM cause the tranny to get hot? Or is that a seperate issue all thogether?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Postmaster

jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.
Bad speed readings could confuse the engine/tranny computer so it could cause overheating if it is making the tranny run in too low a gear or unlock the TC CLutch or slip gears etc.

One check I would do since it costs nothing to check and probably nothing to fix, I like cheap...

Check your plastic vacuum lines around the engine, especially those around the Airconditioning box on the passenger side firewall. I think they are Red White and Black vinyl looking lines about 1/8 inch OD. Several of them are joined together in black rubber plugs that plug into various places.

A lot of times, especially if I work on the passenger side of the engine, the "Plug" with 2 or 3 plastic lines will unseat from the AC box and cause strange engine problems including error codes, speedo jumping and bad shifting. Just plug it back in. Happens every time I change spark plugs.

ALso check any vacuum lines you can find to make sure they are in place and not cracked open.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson
Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Postmaster

White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.
I'm not a transmission expert by no means, but from what I have read here and other places, I would start by getting the speedometer working, the PSOM also supplies information to the computer and/or transmission. So most likely you trams issues are due to it receiving incorrect info..

Edit: Dang Jim did a better job explaining it.. and did it while I was posting this mess...
1997 F-250 HD Extended cab, long bed, 5.8L, E4OD.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for all the feedback. Is there anyway to check if the PSOM is not working. Can I pull it out and check it somehow?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Freshman User

Man I was so excited to think it was just a 25 dollar VSS part and all would be fixed.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Freshman User

Ok I have another question about my issue. I noticed that when I pulled the VSS to replace it. There is grease or some substance all over the VSS. Is this normal? How does the VSS work inside the rearend? There were also some metal shavings on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Postmaster

White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.
Metal shavings are NOT good... The VSS works like a generator, there is a toothed ring on the carrier that interacts with the electrical coils in the sensor, each tooth produces one pulse.. The metal shavings are (for a lack of the correct term) shorting out the coils... If you pull the VSS out again and find more shavings you are going to have to pull the cover for an inspection....

I sure hope someone comes along that can explain what I trying to say...
1997 F-250 HD Extended cab, long bed, 5.8L, E4OD.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Freshman User

Well I took her in to the shop this morning. I hope they dont rape me to bad. I will let you guys know what they figure out. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
You can get a PSOM out of a salvage yard for about $30-$50 and if they replace it you are looking at $400-$500.
77 F250 351M-2V NP 435/4 Speed 4X4
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 09-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Freshman User

Well if they determine that the PSOM to be the problem. I will just pay the 100 bucks they charge to look at it and change it myself.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
New User

1995f25013 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have a 1995 f250 and i some how sat on my roof in a way where it shorted out something and the intereior light did not work the bed light did not work the hood light did not work and the speedometer did not work and the odometer i could not see the numbers all it did was light up green. and all it was was a fuse in my fuse panel and i am good to go with that issue so far. beside s now i am also blowing blue smoke so i would check the fuses also. just to be safe i have a e40d also.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Freshman User

Update the garage told me it is the PSOM. 200 bucks to tell me what you guys have already told me. They want another 500 to fix it. That includes sending out my current PSOM to have rebuilt for 350 bucks. I just told them to go ahead and wrap it up. I can take care of it from here.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Freshman User

Does anyone have somewhere they recomend to have the PSOM repaired?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1996, 1999, 73, 87, decoding, e350, f250, f85z9e731ab, ford, navigator, odometer, odometerspeedometer, speedo, speedometer, truck, working