Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Freshman User

barhopper901 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, for example in my case with leaf springs, if i wanted to go to a wider wheel/tire it would have to stick out further to the outside. More negative offset I believe. But i wouldn't want to ruin the paint on the side of the truck with mud, gravel, etc., so flares would need to be installed.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian123 View Post
Just curious, what's the point of getting tires that stick out if you're going to cover them with flares anyway?
Well, with larger tires they have to stick out to not rub the leaf springs or radius arms. Then if they are sticking out, you have to have flares to be street legal, although many people don't abide by that law. I'd rather not have mine sticking out uncovered, flinging gravel and mud all over the side of my truck and into the windshield of cars behind me.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Senior User

dscabra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhopper901 View Post
Nothing to add here really, and obviously everyone has their favorite, but personally I have always thought that this is the best looking truck I've come across on this forum. Very Nice! That is all.
Thanks!
2007 F-250 Lariat FX4 with 8" Procomp lift, Top Gun Customz dual in-line stabilizer, polished billet grille inserts, Bushwacker pocket flares painted to match, Fuel Offraoad Hostage 20x10 (-24 offset) wheels, Toyo M/T 37x13.50-20 tires, Randy Ellis Design, Inc. light bar with PIAA 520 series lights (two driving and two fog), SCT programmer, AMP Research Power Steps, Garrett PowerMax GT3788VA Turbocharger, EGR delete, 5" MBRP exhaust.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Posting Guru

Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
Well, with larger tires they have to stick out to not rub the leaf springs or radius arms. Then if they are sticking out, you have to have flares to be street legal, although many people don't abide by that law. I'd rather not have mine sticking out uncovered, flinging gravel and mud all over the side of my truck and into the windshield of cars behind me.
Gotcha, so you need the tires to stick out farther to fit them, you're not doing it for the look
4.5" Rough Country lift, Fabtech traction bars, XDP coolant filter, PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune, Blue fuel pressure spring, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, RiffRaff intercooler boots, Edge Insight CS w/ EGT adapter, Glowshift fuel pressure gauge
Old 02-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian123 View Post
Gotcha, so you need the tires to stick out farther to fit them, you're not doing it for the look
Some do, but I think that's idiotic. My tires are flush with the fender and I have no rubbing with a 35x12.50. I'm going to a 37x12.50 next and will add a small flair since the wheels will have more negative offset to clear the springs at full lock.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Senior User

redbull660 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Form looking at the one pictrue of the white f350 there isnt asy black rubber gasket on them, at least in the picture it doesnt show them. Does the rubber need to go on or does it prevent the flare from rubbing the fender.

Im going to get mine painted white also to match my pickup. So far maaco is the cheapest.

Dry Creek Powder Coating and Exhaust Ceramic Coatings.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Post Fiend

Maaco... you get what you pay for. At least the flares are new so you don't need to worry about them not getting all the bugs scraped off before painting. The black rubber protects your paint, without it the flare edge would chew your fender up. The rubber piece is pretty small and the slight contrast looks better than if the flare were put on without it.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Senior User

redbull660 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ya I was wondering about maaco, never had anything done by them before. Maybe I'll pay the price and have a reputable body shop do them. I would hate to have the paint not match.

Dry Creek Powder Coating and Exhaust Ceramic Coatings.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Senior User

dscabra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull660 View Post
Ya I was wondering about maaco, never had anything done by them before. Maybe I'll pay the price and have a reputable body shop do them. I would hate to have the paint not match.
I worked a deal out with a local body shop to do mine. Since I wasn't in a big hurry, they sprayed the color on them and did the clear with extra material from another job. Saved me some money that way -- paid $250 total for the paint. Don't forget to put a flex additive in the paint!!!
2007 F-250 Lariat FX4 with 8" Procomp lift, Top Gun Customz dual in-line stabilizer, polished billet grille inserts, Bushwacker pocket flares painted to match, Fuel Offraoad Hostage 20x10 (-24 offset) wheels, Toyo M/T 37x13.50-20 tires, Randy Ellis Design, Inc. light bar with PIAA 520 series lights (two driving and two fog), SCT programmer, AMP Research Power Steps, Garrett PowerMax GT3788VA Turbocharger, EGR delete, 5" MBRP exhaust.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM
New User

Another JoyRide is starting off with a positive reputation.
To cover the meat spray & keep the Pokey away . . .
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Elder User

Tecman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Tecman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Some nice looking trucks here. To answer the person asking why to get flares? Well to cover the notorious ford fender rusting issue! I bought a set of xenon street flares and they are being painted 2 tone just like my truck so they should blend right in. Can't wait to get pics up. They are all blue right now and waiting to get the silver sprayed.

2003 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 SRW Lariat Sonic Blue with Silver 2 Tone

View my extended Picture gallery HERE
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
New User

brey1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=dscabra;11389503]Bushwacker pocket style flares painted body color (from the side):

Were did you order or get these pocket style fender flares? Im wanting to get them for my 04 250 but I can't seem to find a good site or place that sells them.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Posting Guru

Quad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to all
Here is a picture of my newly installed flares from the front. They are Prestige brand flares and these are the RX style. They have a texture molded into them to show less scratches. Other than being a little shiny out of the box I'm liking them. I got them to keep mud/rocks from destroying my paint. I got the wheels/tires for the wider stance and now don't have to worry about damage as much.

And from the side. They cover an additional 2" from stock. Works perfectly.

Camping this weekend I tried them out, and got mud on the trailer but hardly any on the truck.

08 XLT 250 CC V10 4.10 - 5 Star tunes (giddyup),18"x9" XD Addicts, 295 70 18 Trail Grapplers, Prestige fender flares, side marker lights
2001 E 250 Work beast

Jason
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Posting Guru

GregsSD has a good reputation on FTE.GregsSD has a good reputation on FTE.GregsSD has a good reputation on FTE.
Just bumping up this thread on fender flares because it has some good pictures of different brands of flares!

I just installed a set of Street Scene flares that I bought from 4wheel Parts Wholesalers, here is a link: Street Scene Part 950-55250 - Sport Fender Flares

I love how these flares turned out, they fit nice and look great!!!

SCT custom tuning, ARP headstuds, Banks turbo back 4" exhaust, Airraid intake
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior User

03F350XLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I have the chrome putco lips. I like the look but rear fender rust bubbles have crept up beyond them. I too am going to dig in soon. Removing that stupid piece of foam that soaks up all the salt and moisture and then a ghetto paint/grease/fluid film repair to be coverd by some bolt on style flares. I've had it repaired twice in 3 years and its a losing battle in mass.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
06, 97330, bushwacker, chrome, ebay, f150, fender, flairs, flares, ford, make, putco, short, street, taller, trim, truck