Best WVO system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
RoysVeggy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best WVO system?

I currently use WVO on my 300SD and love it. I would like to eventually convert the new F350 I picked up.
After conducting some of my own research, I have realized that Frybrid seems to have the nicest kit and the highest quality parts.

Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems -- Catalog

The Complete Frybrid kit for the Ford IDI engines, Pre-1995 is $1695 without the fuel tank.

I also was looking at different fuel tanks to mount in the bed to hold the vegetable oil. Look at the options:
RDS Fuel Tank Toolbox Combo — 91-Gallon, Model# 72748 | Auxiliary-Transfer Tank + Toolbox Combos | Northern Tool + Equipment
Better Built Steel Transfer Tank — 100 Gallon Capacity, L-Shaped | | Northern Tool + Equipment

Is it worth the money for the aluminum with or without a toolbox? Or would a steel one be fine? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I will email Frybrid and see if these tanks would work with their tank heater installation.

I will most likely have a friend of mine install the kit, as soon as I finish up some maintenance items on the F350. I attached a picture of my new truck!
The Big Brown Beast picture by roysgti - Photobucket

Any help/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!
RV

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Save yourself a FORTUNE and build it yourself. You can get the same parts from the same places that Frybrid and Greasecar get theirs. I estimate that you can build a grease system for $200-$400, not including tank. A custom aluminum tank should cost $200-$300, or you can use a poly tank that you can get from tractor supply co.

I have found that I can get the same valves, manifolds, orings, etc. locally for wholesale prices. PM me and I can give you the names of the companies that I get my stuff from and some links to people's pages who did it themselves without a kit.

I was a sucker and paid $2000 for $400 worth of parts for my kit. I have learned from that mistake once I saw that there is nothing special about the parts that came in the kit. Heck if you want to you can build a manually switched conversion using ball valves and tees from the hardware store for even cheaper! There is nothing tricky about converting to grease. You just need to switch between diesel and grease, and get teh grease hot so it will flow.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Oh I forgot this... you do not want to use steel tanks and don't use any brass tees. Both will cause polymerization of the oil and it will clog your filters quickly.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
ok if you want to get into the wvo idea you need to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. there is plenty of brands out there that u can go with. Each has there own down fall.

some kits use copper heat exchangers - well copper causes polyermization

some kits have steel fitting and steel tanks - well same idea

and some kits are expensive - you get what you pay for.

i decided to buy a kit and after more research you can build your own kit for not much. where i would skip is the tank and even there it all depends what you want. there is a heated tank, there is a heated fuel pickup and there is a flat plate heat exchanger. well like i said just research.

frybrid, greasecar, vegistroke and soon a new company will come out

Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
mud rat jr.
Senior User
check the for sale section on here just put a greasecar system there

Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM
RoysVeggy
New User
kirkharrod, I messaged you about your WVO design plans/parts.

Does anyone else have any experience or plans for a 92 F350? I would love to convert ASAP, but would rather not pay for a $1700 kit. Thanks again!