Color: Dark Red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): WV
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 2.3L Turbo
Although I hate to do it, the time has come for me to part with my Bird. I just don't drive it anymore, I'm in the market for a newer vehicle and I can't keep the bird around (don't have the room).
So here's the skinny on the car...it has 173K on the body. Engine has approximately 35K on it, I can't remember exactly.
To get it out of the way, I suppose I should first point out the things on the car that will need attention. These are as follows:
- Most obvious is the fact that the clearcoat is peeling. When I bought the car, the previous owner told me the car had been repainted 3 times. Apparently they did not prep very well when they did that last paint job. The clearcoat is completely gone from the roof (and in fact the color coat is starting to peel in a couple spots) and it is peeling off the hood and trunk lid. Everything else is perfectly fine, for some reason.
- There is some damage to the driver's side of the car from a minor fender bender I had almost 6 years ago. Very obvious in person but very difficult to show in pics. I replaced the front driver's side fender and it doesn't quite match the rest of the car, the front end is slightly tweaked. Mostly it's a slight crease down the driver's side door and a couple small dents in front of the rear quarter.
- Needs new tires.
- There is rust behind the driver's side rear wheel. I repaired this area years ago but it rusted again. Passenger side has been repaired twice, doesn't look to be rusty but the bondo there is cracked (shown in the pics). These were done by me so they are a little amateur but it didn't look bad with paint on it and got the job done.
- There seems to be a small amount of rust on the bottom of the doors, it has not rusted through the outside but the inside may need wire brushed/ground down and painted
- There is a small rust spot at the bottom of the rear window (shown in one of the pics). This spot has been there since I got the car and has never gotten bigger, I dunno.
- Of course, the car has a lot of the usual 27 year old car issues...some of the interior parts may have broken off tabs or whatever, most of this is from the PO and not of my doing and I have replaced a lot of parts.
- For some reason, the transmission makes noise at idle in neutral with the clutch out, and makes a whining noise in gear (almost sounds like straight cut gears). It has been doing this since I replaced the tailshaft bushing and seal. I topped off the fluid last year, it has always shifted fine and I've never had problems with it, not sure why it's making this noise. It's definitely not the throwout bearing, had one of those go bad before and I know what they sound like.
- The engine leaks some oil, unsurprisingly. I can't really tell where it's leaking from as last time I checked both the front and rear main seals looked dry and were not leaking.
Now on to the car itself, I will break down into individual areas as far to what it has done.
This car has a '84 Turbo Coupe engine in it which I rebuilt in 2004. The block was honed, all new rings were installed. Has ARP rod bolts and a crank scraper. Oil return is welded into oil pan (currently plugged), low oil level sensor hole has been blocked off (it was leaking).
Head was ported and polished, chambers polished and CC'ed, by me, with ARP head studs. Has a Motorsport A237 cam and Esslinger adjustable cam sprocket. '84 TC cam cover.
Intake is the "tall" SVO style intake, mildly ported and polished by me with a phenolic spacer at the head and the water passage is blocked off. 94 GT throttle body with blocked off EGR. Stock 35 lb injectors, Accel adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge on rail.
Custom center mount header (made of schedule 40 pipe) with a Schwitzer S200 turbo. -4 AN oil feed (from head), -10 AN drain to factory drain in block. Ebay external wastegate, adjustable from 13-18 psi I believe (currently set around 15 or so).
Nice front mount intercooler. Currently has blow-thru VAM. Forge BOV.
Radiator is a Cobra-style 3-core, with dual 12" electric fans in a custom shroud (built by me), wired to an adjustable thermostat so the fans kick on around 200 and kick off at 180. Custom overflow tank.
Clutch is a Centerforce II disc and pressure plate, with a factory flywheel and factory throwout bearing. This transmission also got one of the last NOS TC-style clutch forks in the country.
3" exhaust, has a cutout at the end of the downpipe that I have honestly never used). Connects to one of Stinger's first TC exhaust systems, splits to dual 2 1/2" with Hooker Maximum Flow mufflers, out 2 1/2" Flowmaster Mustang tailpipes modified to work, with 3" stainless tips.
Front springs are used BBK 5.0 Mustang springs, rear are SN95 springs with overload airbags which can raise the rear of the car an inch or so. Shocks/struts are all factory PRC stuff. Urethane snubber. Front LCA's were swapped for a low mileage factory set a couple years ago with factory style ball joints. I still have the others that were in the car and will include them if desired.
Factory front swaybar with urethane bushings and aftermarket urethane endlinks. '99 GT rear swaybar (7/8").
Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace and 2-point K-member brace. Subframe connectors with Chuck W's seat mounts.
Front brakes were upgraded to 73mm calipers. Brakes have been converted to vacuum-assisted brakes with an SVO master cylinder and 5.0 mustang booster.
Boost & water temp gauges on pillar. Oil temp, oil pressure & volts in the center console. Custom white face indiglo gauges from Panther37 (the factory water temp face doesn't light up for some reason) with dimmer and switch for blue or green. Sony Xplod head unit (is a few years old), with Pioneer 3-channel 6 1/2's in the doors and 2-channel 5x7's in the rear deck. Factory amp removed.
UPR Blu Thunder shifter (Pro-5.0 style with positive stops, with a custom handle made by me)
Driver's seat has a manual track under it.
The cigarette lighter is not currently in the car, I bought a new universal one to replace it but haven't wired it in yet.
Has some nice stainless steel door sill plates that I got out of the '84 TC I pulled my engine out of.
The map pocket on the driver's door unfortunately broke and I had to take it off.
Also the car has a new heater core as of last fall.
Cut out middle of front fascia to install driving lights, which are wired into the highbeams. These have 100W "gold" bulbs in them.
Although you can't tell I took all the lights off and polished them about 4 years ago.
Around the same time, took the taillights off, took them apart, cleaned them out, and resealed them.
Also has newer weatherstripping around both doors and trunk.
That's all I can think of for now...any specific questions please ask. Everything on this car works (to my knowledge) and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. It was always a reliable vehicle.
NOW, another thing I am going to note- with the purchase of this car I will include a few things that I have had sitting around the garage and never got around to installing. These include:
- used 255 lph fuel pump
- a set of Chuck W's shock mounts that allow the use of Mustang rear shocks
- a pair of low-mile V6 strut plates (was going to convert the car to aftermarket Mustang shocks/struts all around)
- a set of "battle box" torque box reinforcements
- two spare TC wheels with no tires on them
- and whatever else I happen to dig up that I think should go along with the car.
I'm really not sure what to ask for this car...I have a lot of blood, sweat, tears and $$$ invested in it...so I'm going say $2500
and I may entertain offers. I know this car is a tough sell due to the paint and the fact that it needs tires. I MAY consider trades depending on what it is, but would prefer a sale (I have a loan I'm trying to get paid off early).
The body isn't so great but I this car has had a lot of mechanical, chassis & suspension improvements. Everything on the car was done by me aside from the block honing, I don't like to farm out work (not to mention I couldn't really afford it at the time). I don't think it would take much to make this a good road course or drag car.
So, on with the pictures....
Sorry, the interior isn't the cleanest it could be right at the moment, I'm gonna scrub everything down real good soon. Also I think the rust looks a little worse than it is in these pics because it was wet, I had just washed the car.
If you are interested PLEASE PM ME!