1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Auto Trans Overdrive problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Sams_animal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Trans Overdrive problems

Hi, I have a 1997 F250 dual cab with the 7.3 lt. Turbo PSD. Four speed auto tranny. Last week I had a couple of fuses under the bonnet blow. Twice it was the one that controls some part of the auto trans as after it blew the trans shifted real hard. Replaced fuse and all OK.
This week had the same thing happend but it now wont drive in overdrive. Drives fine with overdrive off, but with overdrive selected, once it goes into overdrive it starts to pull the motor down and feels like it would stall out. Someone said there is an electric soleniod that controls the shifting to overdrive, could this be the problem and how do I find it. Or what other suggestions are the. It has done 180,000 miles and tows a large enclosed race trailer.

Thanks
Phil

Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
A suggestion I may offer.. if you get a chance to look at the wiring under your truck following the trans, see what condition its in. If its looking good, I would unplug the connector on the passenger side of the trans, and check the connection there. For some reasons, the E4OD transmissions have a habit of collecting dirt and debris, causing havic with the operation of the trans and other related electric issues. I would even go ahead and throw extra dialectric grease into the connector to prevent fututre issues!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Sams_animal
New User
Thanks Chris, I will try this. We had driven a couple of thousand miles in the rain in the last week so it could well be the issue. While the problem feels like it is mechanical I feel that it is more likely electrical with the fuses blowing, seems to much of a coindence
Thanks
Phil

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you tell us which fuses blew?
That would help a lot in troubleshooting.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Sams_animal
New User
Maxi fuse 50 amp that lists as for instrument panel fuses and the 15amp Oxygen senor heater, so nothing that realy relates but did stop the motor running and cause the trans to shift hard.
Phil