Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Edge CTS Evolution Programer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Edge CTS Evolution Programer

OK guys, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing one of these for my 2000 F-350 7.3 4X4 CC LB with 124000 miles. I like it because it is plug and play with all the guages. It is the cali truck. Anyone have any bad experience with this ?

Why I should not get it ?

Thanks in advance.
armstrong

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
kdv
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a bump for you and a question to tie in.

What other brand setup has the gauge capability like the edge? Recommendations?

Thanks, Ken

Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think all the "off the shelf" tuners/chips work about the same. They are not like a custom tuned chip, but they will have better power than stock.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
miller_feed
Is the custom chip better ? Why in your opinion ? What should I get as far as tunes ? Guages ? Boost,trans temp,? pod.

thanks

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the CTS is an awesome display & touch screen is cool, but I won't buy one just for that. I have the juice w/ attitude. I mostly bought for the digital gauges and chip built in one, it does a decent job making more power, but does nothing to get it to the ground. Anything above level 2~3 and trans. would slip. Right now I leave it on level 0, use my Diablo Predator to make power, raises line pressure, correct shift points, etc. Yup, I have $800 gauges...lol...but I can stack chips for little more though.

Assuming you have 124K on the trans. too, I don't think it would take long for it to take a dump on ya.

Just my $.02

Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
sledhead999
Thanks for the info. So are you saying if I chip it i will be getting the transmission rebuild, or if I just go with the EDGE. Would the DP TUNER be better with guages.
How would someone tell if the tranny has been rebuilt ?

Thanks
armstrong

Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
The problem with any OBDII gauges like that is that you don't get the most important one, the pyro, without buying and installing the probe. So in the end you aren't really saving any time or money because you still have to buy the probe and have programming that is ok but won't give you the bang for the buck something like a DP Tuner chip or Tony Wildman would. The Edge won't automatically kill yours trans but I do recommend the tuning on the custom chip far above that of the box tuners.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 AM
sledhead999
Elder User
Originally Posted by armstrongfordtrucks
sledhead999
Thanks for the info. So are you saying if I chip it i will be getting the transmission rebuild, or if I just go with the EDGE. Would the DP TUNER be better with guages.
How would someone tell if the tranny has been rebuilt ?

Thanks
armstrong
I'm just saying the EDGE had soft stock like shifts, which slip clutch plates. A well used tranny could send it to the tranny shop quicker. An off the shelf tuner is OK for the average guy lookin for a little more, but every add-on could be tuned better like Clay said. Diablo Sport sells hand held tuners and are internet updateable for free. Thats why I chose them a few years ago, they also do custom tunes & have local dealers round the country.

Just somethin' to consider. Nothing wrong with supporting our sponsors either!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 AM
KH85
Senior User
Um yeah what Clay said. IMO you cant beat "real" guages and a custom tuner. Though I dont have a custom tuner, but I have never heard a bad thing about them and have heard alot of bad about off the shelfs.

The custom tuners are well worth the money and more than out proform the off the shelfs from what I've read/heard.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:30 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I had the original edge programmer when I bought the truck. I have updated to pod gauges and the DP tuner. Edge has nothin on DP.. its that simple.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
The problem with any OBDII gauges like that is that you don't get the most important one, the pyro, without buying and installing the probe.....
And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that "real" gauges are more accurate than a simple display of what the PCM sees. Is that correct?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Plankton
And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that "real" gauges are more accurate than a simple display of what the PCM sees. Is that correct?
Depends on what sensor you are watching. Your boost can be off if you run an OCR or fooler. But I think typically it is just hard to watch digital numbers on something like boost or pyro that can rapidly move.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
MR5x5
Senior User
Armstrong - I have owned and currently used both a Dp tuner, obviously for tunes, and my Edge Evo Programmer for gauges. My truck is not "built for speed" it is built for enhanced power and reilability.

Here's the deal; The Edge will provide a significant power upgrade. I run my Dp with the 80 Econo Tune and it is very similar to the 2nd setting on the Edge. The Dp does fill the low end torque better than the Edge, but the top end power feels the same. No startling difference between the 2nd and 3rd setting on the Edge.

Gauges - The gauge functions are very good on the Edge. I would be very suprised if there are significant difference in accuarcy. Yes the Edge pulls them off the OBDII bus, which is the data the truck uses to make decisions. It is debatable whether or not it is more valuable to have an independant set of gages, or to know what data the truck is seeing. Pyro - The Edge comes with one. You need to install it. Simple.

Tranny - Edge products (at least the older ones) have a reputation for beign hard on transmissions. The programmer does allow you to change line poressures, but that is it. Edge does not allow you to change shift points. I'd say anybody adding power from any source should install an upgraded valve body. Valve body = $200, Tranny = $5k.

Scanner Functions - The Edge does store engine codes which is a very handy feature.

DP - The ability to switch programs on the fly is very cool. The Edge reprograms the ECU and takes about 5 minutes to change programs. Personally I don't like the idea of reprogramming because computers have a tendancy to get confused along the way. This could certainly leave you in a lurch.

If you plan to "build out" the truck. Then you'll want something custom.

Cost - I got my Edge as a betta user for very cheap. I'm thinking they cost about as much as gauge cluster now...?

So, if I were to do it again from scratch knowing what I know now, I would go with a custom tuner and gauge cluster. The most notable difference would be the lack of scanning functions.

Note that I'd keep my supporting mods the same. In fact, the tuner was the last mod I made...

Hope this helps,

Mike

Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by armstrongfordtrucks
miller_feed
Is the custom chip better ? Why in your opinion ? What should I get as far as tunes ? Guages ? Boost,trans temp,? pod.

thanks
Ask yourself this. If I wanted to have a suit, what do you think of using the specs "40 yo white male"? Think that fits well? That is the one you get off the shelf.

Customizable one from a tuner would be like getting a suit which is made based off your ht, wt, arm length, etc, etc.

Live tuning one is like having a tailor make the suit so if it fits you like a 2nd skin.

You tell me, which suit is best.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM
roushcm
Senior User
This is from my own experiances with edge, I will never buy another! costomer service is horable and the gauges were very off. I sent it back and they sent it back to me saying everything passed there bench test, well i took my truck to a diesel shop and hed them test the trucks edge gauges with the scan tools they had and well that same day i bought autometer gauges and a dp tuner and have never had any problems. Edge gauges would read around 1400 egt driving down the road and boost at 10 max psi. Just get costom tunes and gauges Just my .02

Quick Reply: Edge CTS Evolution Programer