2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FX4 grey fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
FX4 grey fender flares

Hey guys. Just purchased a 2006 FX4 SCrew. I did a little searching to find mixed results.
I want to get the grey fenders back to a consistent solid flat black or dark charcoal grey. I know some people have painted them, and I know some have used products from Meguirs/Mothers.
I'm hesistant to paint only b/c I HAVE NOT painted any items on any vehicle before, so my novice side is telling me not to paint.
My bumpers are color matched to the truck, so I don't have to worry about having the flares match the bumpers like on some FX4s.

I want to also address the cowl vent at the same time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do not use mothers unless you want to keep doing it every month and if you do make sure you wipe off the excess amount. Mothers does work great but you have to keep doing it every time you wash the truck or at least once a month.

I am going to use Fylon Fusion Paint I think its called in a week or so once I have a little bit more time. The Plastic Paint is not hard to do so you shouldn't be worried about it. Just take your time and go slow and you will be fine.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
I've heard of people using the Krylon Fusion before on other applications. Are you just going to mask off (tape) the body panels, etc and spray several light coats?

I know that the marine/boating community uses something to keep black plastic looking black, but I cannot remember the name to save my life.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
magnet1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever you do, Do NOT use Mothers Back To Black in the red bottle. It doesen't last long, And every time you wash your vehicle, Any water that sprays off of your fender flares carries the chemical onto your paint and makes these oily streaks that are time consuming to get off.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
jdvorak
New User
I offered a few guys here who posted above to try a fresh bottle of Back-to-Black which should work better -- we have made some formulation changes to address these problems.

Due to the overwhelming popularity of this offer, I will have to end it, but hopefully we'll have some feedback and maybe some photos.

You really want to avoid painting the plastic because it's not a permanent fix either.

Last edited by jdvorak; 09-21-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Ended offer
Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Jim,

Shot you an email. I'll take you up on that offer.
Thanks!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Jim I missed this information in another update and will send you an email as well to take you up on the offer. I have not had any problems with the streaking but I take good care to wipe off excess after applying. I am annoyed by how often I have to apply it to keep it looking fresh but maybe that is what i will have to do until I either paint it or get new flares.

Thank you

Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Got a nice email back from Jim. Looking forward to testing out the product and giving some feedback.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 PM
jpcjguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
I've heard of people using the Krylon Fusion before on other applications. Are you just going to mask off (tape) the body panels, etc and spray several light coats?

I know that the marine/boating community uses something to keep black plastic looking black, but I cannot remember the name to save my life.
The boat community uses 303 Protectant. It works great. I also had so-so results with Mothers back to black. If it has been reformulated, I might think about trying it again....

Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Just FYI. I created a new thread for the Back to Black that I used today for the first time. It's here in the 2004-2008 forum.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
fx4pitrone
Junior User
Anyone try painting them and actually have them hold up? I can't imagine Krylon plastic Fusion paint would hold up to a rock being thrown up at it????

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 AM
93MARKIII
Senior User
Originally Posted by fx4pitrone
Anyone try painting them and actually have them hold up? I can't imagine Krylon plastic Fusion paint would hold up to a rock being thrown up at it????

the krylon fusion paint actually fuses to the plastic becoming part of it, it doesnt just bond, it actually becomes part of the plastic being painted...

i cant speak to automotive use, but it works like a champ on lawn furniture, just make sure the plastic is absolutely clean before hand....

ive been told that if you have ever used something like armor all that you will never get all of it out/off of whatever you put it on....something to think about before painting exterior plastics

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 93MARKIII
ive been told that if you have ever used something like armor all that you will never get all of it out/off of whatever you put it on....something to think about before painting exterior plastics

Armor All is 100% crap in my opinion and it will actually void warranties for most tonneau bed covers if used as the protectant on the vinyl when you are cleaning. I recommend never using it period on anything.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Painting a porous surface worries me a bit. And 93MARKIII you're right about chemicals in the plastic. I too have been told the same thing. Since this is a vehicle that is new to me, I have no idea what the previous owner could have done/applied to the plastic, if anything.
So far the Back to Black has met my expectations. That's MET not exceeded.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:07 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Coskid
Armor All is 100% crap in my opinion and it will actually void warranties for most tonneau bed covers if used as the protectant on the vinyl when you are cleaning. I recommend never using it period on anything.

Great minds think alike.

Tried to rep you, but gotta spread the love around before I can rep you again.

Quick Reply: FX4 grey fender flares