1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Truck won't Start . . . Theft light is flashing :( Help! (2001)

Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Roger1960
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeVR5
Roger,

Thanks for your advice. I solved the ding ding ding problem and it does not appear to be related to the theft-light-blinking-no-start problem. The small wire was loose in the ignition and it was completing the circuit on the ignition switch, hence the ding all the time

I found out some additional information on the truck. The guy I bought it from purchased it from an auction for dirt cheap because it had no key. It was sort of a gamble, and he ended up doing pretty good because once he ordered a new key system, it started right up.

So this tells me that the ignition cylinder has been replaced . . . i.e. messed with. Are there any connections I should check that may be causing this no-start problem? It hasn't happened in a long time.
If the guy had a working key made after he purchased the truck then it makes no difference if it was the original key code or if a new lock cylinder was installed.

The way the transponder system works is a code matching the chip in the key is sent to the computer. The computer checks to see if that particular code is authorized, if it is then the truck will start, if not then it won't start.

There would be no reason to "mess with" the electronics, reprogramming can only be done with a programmer speaking the proper language to replace the previous transponder code with the new ones.

It sounds to me like the truck's computer and the chip in the key are not talking to each other so the computer thinks the truck is being stolen.

Your local locksmith can probably narrow down or fix the problem by plugging in his programmer. (Probably a lot cheaper than the dealer.)

If your lucky, it will be a bum key or a loose wire.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Roger1960
Senior User
Roger,

Thanks for your advice. I solved the ding ding ding problem and it does not appear to be related to the theft-light-blinking-no-start problem. The small wire was loose in the ignition and it was completing the circuit on the ignition switch, hence the ding all the time

I found out some additional information on the truck. The guy I bought it from purchased it from an auction for dirt cheap because it had no key. It was sort of a gamble, and he ended up doing pretty good because once he ordered a new key system, it started right up.

So this tells me that the ignition cylinder has been replaced . . . i.e. messed with. Are there any connections I should check that may be causing this no-start problem? It hasn't happened in a long time.

BUMP!

Joe VR5,

What is going on with the truck?

Is it fixed? what was the problem

Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 PM
JoeVR5
Senior User
Hey Roger!

I pulled the lower cover off the steering column and closely checked all the wires and connections. The only loose oddball wire I found was a light blue one that appeared to be connected to the door-ajar/key-in-ignition ding. Other than that, everything looked normal.

I hate to say it, but I can't get the truck to replicate the problem. I am really hesitant to take it to a locksmith and pay him to plug into my truck when it isn't having the problem. I'm grateful that the no-start issue hasn't happened for a couple of months, but I'm worried about it coming back.

I was hoping to find a bypass kit to bypass the PATS system, but it looks like those are hard to get ahold of.

So sorry I have nothing spectacular to report. I'm not sure what I did, but the problem has not come back!!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Roger1960
Senior User
Hey Roger!

I pulled the lower cover off the steering column and closely checked all the wires and connections. The only loose oddball wire I found was a light blue one that appeared to be connected to the door-ajar/key-in-ignition ding. Other than that, everything looked normal.

I hate to say it, but I can't get the truck to replicate the problem. I am really hesitant to take it to a locksmith and pay him to plug into my truck when it isn't having the problem. I'm grateful that the no-start issue hasn't happened for a couple of months, but I'm worried about it coming back.

I was hoping to find a bypass kit to bypass the PATS system, but it looks like those are hard to get ahold of.

So sorry I have nothing spectacular to report. I'm not sure what I did, but the problem has not come back!!
This is a good thing!