Converted 1997 F-350 7.5 460 to Sequential EFI - Dyno Graphs Inside - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



Converted 1997 F-350 7.5 460 to Sequential EFI - Dyno Graphs Inside

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 09-29-2010, 01:25 PM
mdula's Avatar
mdula mdula is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 506
mdula is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
If I hadn't already started acquiring my stuff for a conversion, I probably would have looked at AEM, I looked at a bunch of aftermarket setups. My major hangup on them was transmission control. I am going to EFI primarily to use an E4OD in place of the C6. I did acquire a 93 SD SEFI computer with E4OD control but after talking with a number of people found that SD doesn't tolerate much cam change. It causes the same issues we used to see with lumpy cams that had low vacuum at idle.

I plan on seeing if mine will go 16:1 or leaner at cruise, the old 390 2V engines in the LTDs would cruise at 19:1 or leaner (they would peg an AFR meter on the lean side). At least I don't have to worry about Cats on mine.
So will the AEM not have the ability to control an E4OD?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM
85lebaront2's Avatar
85lebaront2 85lebaront2 is offline
Old School Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Exmore, VA
Posts: 6,147
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Not that I could determine. Everything I found required another stand alone transmission controller. That gets expensive fast. One of the issues I found is the E4OD is different electronically than the AODE or 4R70W. As a result, the pouplar ECMS (A9L and similar) will not operate it. Only the truck computers, 5.0L or 5.8L with E4OD have the circuits for this. I am going to be using a WAY1 box which uses the VEX1 strategy. It is a 5.0L Bronco unit.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM
jonbar87's Avatar
jonbar87 jonbar87 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 357
jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdula View Post
So will the AEM not have the ability to control an E4OD?
Yes it does. You would just have to use the 30-1401 unit instead of the 30-1400 like I did. The only difference between the two is that the 1400 is setup for a standard transmission while the 1401 is setup for auto transmission controls. Like I've said before, this is a STANDALONE unit, it can do ANYTHING you want it to!

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM
jonbar87's Avatar
jonbar87 jonbar87 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 357
jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
If I hadn't already started acquiring my stuff for a conversion, I probably would have looked at AEM, I looked at a bunch of aftermarket setups. My major hangup on them was transmission control. I am going to EFI primarily to use an E4OD in place of the C6. I did acquire a 93 SD SEFI computer with E4OD control but after talking with a number of people found that SD doesn't tolerate much cam change. It causes the same issues we used to see with lumpy cams that had low vacuum at idle.

I plan on seeing if mine will go 16:1 or leaner at cruise, the old 390 2V engines in the LTDs would cruise at 19:1 or leaner (they would peg an AFR meter on the lean side). At least I don't have to worry about Cats on mine.
Cruise at 19:1...? I've never owned a 390 so I don't know but that sounds a bit lean to me....

General Air Fuel Ratio Effect on Engine Performance

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1271770234.jpg

http://blog.unleashedmoto.com/wp-con...ge_airfuel.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
85lebaront2's Avatar
85lebaront2 85lebaront2 is offline
Old School Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Exmore, VA
Posts: 6,147
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Jonbar, this was a 68 or 69 LTD with the 390 2V engine at a friend's shop just up the road from mine. He is a Chevy guy, and was showing me how efficient Ford's intake design was. He and I had staion wagons at the time for our families and were comparing notes. His was a Pontiac LeMans into which he had istalled a 327 250hp and Powerglide, 3:08 gear rear end and dual exhausts, mine was a 1970 1/2 Falcon with a 302 that I had installed 1965 289 4V heads and intake on, 351W exhaust manifolds and dual exhausts 3:00 gear. Around town I could kill him on fuel economy, but highway, they were real close due to his Quadrajet vs. my Holley. I finally got up to his level when I put a 1974 California 460 Carter Thermoquad on the 302. I know you can't do that level of lean mixture with EGR or catalyst as it just won't work. The catalyst needs that narrow range the O2 sensor wirks in.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 AM
jonbar87's Avatar
jonbar87 jonbar87 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 357
jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Jonbar, this was a 68 or 69 LTD with the 390 2V engine at a friend's shop just up the road from mine. He is a Chevy guy, and was showing me how efficient Ford's intake design was. He and I had staion wagons at the time for our families and were comparing notes. His was a Pontiac LeMans into which he had istalled a 327 250hp and Powerglide, 3:08 gear rear end and dual exhausts, mine was a 1970 1/2 Falcon with a 302 that I had installed 1965 289 4V heads and intake on, 351W exhaust manifolds and dual exhausts 3:00 gear. Around town I could kill him on fuel economy, but highway, they were real close due to his Quadrajet vs. my Holley. I finally got up to his level when I put a 1974 California 460 Carter Thermoquad on the 302. I know you can't do that level of lean mixture with EGR or catalyst as it just won't work. The catalyst needs that narrow range the O2 sensor wirks in.
I see. That's interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 AM
jonbar87's Avatar
jonbar87 jonbar87 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 357
jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My F-350 was stolen this last December and I replaced it with a 2012 F-150. The entire SEFI kit is for sale. It includes the complete wiring harness that I made, MAP sensor and the programmable AEM 30-1400 ECU. Let me know if you're interested. Quote me a price and we'll talk.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
scottfreeman's Avatar
scottfreeman scottfreeman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cascade, ID
Posts: 786
scottfreeman is starting off with a positive reputation.
stolen......

That sucks....did they catch the lowrents that drove it off?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
jonbar87's Avatar
jonbar87 jonbar87 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 357
jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreeman View Post
That sucks....did they catch the lowrents that drove it off?
Nope. Never found it. I'm sure it's running drugs on the border. I replaced it with a 2012 F-150...don't regret it at all
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 AM
jas88's Avatar
jas88 jas88 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Greater Austin, Texas
Posts: 4,152
jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.
So, if the truck was stolen, why was the AEM not stolen along with it?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
jonbar87's Avatar
jonbar87 jonbar87 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 357
jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas88 View Post
So, if the truck was stolen, why was the AEM not stolen along with it?
Funny you ask...someone on a different forum asked the exact same question.

About 6 months before it was stolen I decided to sell it, and since I was going to sell it, I converted it back to stock. That's why I still have the AEM with all the wiring and sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Haz Tanker's Avatar
Haz Tanker Haz Tanker is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Haz Tanker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Not that I could determine. Everything I found required another stand alone transmission controller. That gets expensive fast. One of the issues I found is the E4OD is different electronically than the AODE or 4R70W. As a result, the pouplar ECMS (A9L and similar) will not operate it. Only the truck computers, 5.0L or 5.8L with E4OD have the circuits for this. I am going to be using a WAY1 box which uses the VEX1 strategy. It is a 5.0L Bronco unit.
I have a 1993 Super Duty with an E4OD, the 7.3 engine is the old IDI type, the truck uses a computer for the trans, perhaps you could make one of these work for you?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-01-2012, 02:41 PM
85lebaront2's Avatar
85lebaront2 85lebaront2 is offline
Old School Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Exmore, VA
Posts: 6,147
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
I have a friend, who is also on here, who has been trying for a couple of years to get an IDI trans controller to work with a gasoline engine. He has had all kinds of problems starting with the rpm signal. He finally threw in the towel and ordered a Baumann Optishift.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
peter_x peter_x is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 214
peter_x is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is the kit still for sale? How much are you looking for?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
jonbar87's Avatar
jonbar87 jonbar87 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 357
jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_x View Post
Is the kit still for sale? How much are you looking for?
I paid $750 for the AEM 30-1400 ECU, (still has my dyno tune programmed on it) $50 for the wiring harness from the junk yard, and had a Honda map sensor lying around (that you could have). I kept the instructions in the glove box but obviously they got stolen with the pickup so unfortunately I no longer have them but I could walk you through the install from what I remember. Make me a REASONABLE offer and I'd consider selling.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converted 1997 F-350 7.5 460 to Sequential EFI - Tuned with AEM - Dyno Graphs Inside jonbar87 Computer Chips & Tuners 4 04-30-2012 01:56 AM
Pro Comp Traction Bars vs. One Up Off Road Traction bars vs. All Spring Lift jonbar87 Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 3 08-29-2011 08:44 AM
Like New Toyo Open Country M/T 35x12.5R20 tires for sale jonbar87 All Other Items for Sale 0 08-17-2011 09:43 PM
1996 -97 7.5L 460 F-350 EEC-IV Powertrain Control Module (PCM/ECU) Pinout jonbar87 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 0 08-29-2010 06:30 PM
1996 - 97 7.5L 460 F-350 EEC-IV Powertrain Control Module (PCM/ECU) Pinout jonbar87 Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) 0 08-28-2010 05:21 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
1999, 460, 75, bank, cardone, chevrolet, conversion, dyno, f350, fire, ford, injector, jonbar87, sefi, sequential

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.