Notices

Raptor 6.2 vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
2: Expedition has 8.7 inches of workable ground clearance. The Toyota Land Cruiser 200 only has 8.9 inches, of workable ground clearance. They are virtually the same.

I think while the Expedition may have similar MINIMUM clearance as a LC, if we were to take the average of a bunch of points on the underbody, it would have significantly less AVERAGE clearance.

Just look at these two photos you posted:

Look at how low the area between the front axle, and directly behind it, is. Compare that to a 200 LC:

I have an 06 Explorer, which uses a different frame than the Expy, but similar control arms. My feel is that these two trucks are too stiff (for IFS/IRS) to have any good flex. If I have to guess the rti, it'll be about 300, far cry from the LC's 550.

They're not bad for overlanding (what I'm building up my Ex for, with 2" lift and 31" tires), but on a technical offroad trail, I think they won't come close to a LC.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Speaking of 200 LCs, this one is a sick looking overland setup!

Too bad I can't afford the $$$ Just that fridge and rooftop tent is a couple grand...

Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Originally Posted by transferred
RoyJ....yes, a clean, former-pavement queen Power Wagon would make a fantastic second hand buy. They are great go-anywhere trucks both the gen 3s and updated int/ext gen 4s. Also handy to have aprx. 2,000lbs of payload for long expeditions. But it sure is said the EPA/DOT ensure we can't get any Defenders that aren't 25 years old. And doubly sad is the fact even in Europe they're unlikely to make it passed the next round of Euro regs in c.2014. Terrible, nanny states looking out for us worldwide like we're 5 years old.
This is a rare occasion where things are better here in Canada - our limit is 15 years. Which means I can get early to mid 90's right hand drive LC with the diesel 6.

But this doesn't stop people from asking retarded price levels. A 93 LC goes from $15k to $25k, similar age Defender go for $50k+. I'm sorry, but as good as they are, I won't even think about one when I can get myself a 06 Power Wagon for $15k, with double to triple the hp. I'll just pretend it's a Defender 140...

Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Originally Posted by transferred
You clearly own an Expedition and have Ford goggles on hence the rants and excuses.

Seriously, the Expedition is in now way shape or form a match for a LandCruiser off road. You sift through the marketing materials and post only what promotes your cause and nothing that goes against it which, a fact obvious to all. Errors abound too. Amusing how you try and make excuses for it but totally pointless to correct you as no matter how wrong you are it's clear you'll argue to the death.

I’m sorry, did I post something wrong? I wasn’t trying to say or imply that the Expedition was better than the Land Cruiser (I know I write a lot, but does anyone read my posts fully?)

I love the Land Cruiser (all generations of it, even the new ones). And no, I do not own an Expedition, nor am I a Ford fanatic.

I own a heavy-duty 4x4, but it’s not a Ford. I would post some photos and info of it, but since this is a Ford forum, I might get eaten alive.

I study engineering, software and 4-wheel-drive systems. I look at all 4x4s, even the ones that are less known for their 4x4 capabilities like the Ford Expedition, which is very capable when a professional off road driver is placed behind the wheel.

Those "Russians" I wrote of, were professional off road drivers from previous Camel Trophy off road events, which were known the world over. If those Camel Trophy drivers liked the Ford Expeditions (keep in mind all the 4x4s they have driven) then there must be something more to those big SUVs than the average Expedition owner would ever care to know.

Anyway, for off road use: Out of the Land Cruiser, Range Rover, Discovery 4, Cayenne or a VW Dune buggy (Touareg) I would prefer the F-150 Raptor or a Power Wagon, as was also mentioned.

P.S. I wasn’t "ranting", though I understand when reading text, it might appear that way.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Guys, just found this on the Explorer forums, a 3rd gen doing RTI ramp:

The damn thing scores 45 on a 30 degree rti ramp, I repeat, fourty-five! I knew it's going to be bad with IFS/IRS, and stiff springs / roll bars, but I didn't think it'll be THIS bad I definitely need a sway bar disconnect.

I doubt the Expedition with similar suspension would score any better.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 PM
transferred
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RoyJ

The damn thing scores 45 on a 30 degree rti ramp, I repeat, fourty-five! I knew it's going to be bad with IFS/IRS, and stiff springs / roll bars, but I didn't think it'll be THIS bad I definitely need a sway bar disconnect.

I doubt the Expedition with similar suspension would score any better.
Yup, not pretty. Thanks for the hard data, Roy. Btw, the modded LC pics you posted are drool worthy, "hey honey I'm re-mortaging the house" springs to mind I couldn't concur more with the fact the PW makes a FAR better buy than the other "options... talk about bang for the buck those other prices are indeed insane for used vehicles.

GL&W...apologies if my post came across harsh, I blame not having had my morning coffee yet...and I agree that, stock for stock, the Power Wagon and Raptor (though each very different as we've already covered) have everything beat this side of a Defender 90

Rockstate45....great input, I fully agree with your points bud

And for the guy complaining this wasn't to do with the Raptor, well we've kind of gone full circle reincorporating the Raptor.... and along the way created a thread far more worthy of reading than the usual "check out my new chromed rims"

-Rob

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Originally Posted by RoyJ
I wonder what my 4x4 would rate at doing one of those (?)

Is there anyway to mathematically calculate (approximately) the wheel travel without doing any of that RTI test?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:55 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
I wonder what my 4x4 would rate at doing one of those (?)

Is there anyway to mathematically calculate (approximately) the wheel travel without doing any of that RTI test?

It's actually pretty simple. The definition (IIRC) is distance traveled, divided by wheelbase, times 1000.

So just jack up one front wheel till another tire lifts, divide by Sin20 to find imaginary distance on 20* ramp, and divide that by your wheelbase.

BTW, fellow engineer here; ME.