6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

I expected a hard time but.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I expected a hard time but.....

WOW! One 1/2" extension, SNAPPED! Ones metal oil filter, socket type wrench, STRIPPED! One standard, run of the mill oil filter wrench, MANGLED! Bloody knuckles and burned forearms and I finally resorted to the famous "Hammer and long screwdriver" method with some success. Seriously, do they have a state wide strong man contest in Dearborn MI to decide who gets to put the oil filters on the new trucks?! Anyway, end rant, first oil change on the new 6.2 complete. 5200 miles and a fantastic truck so far!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Seems like thats common for any new Ford vehicle. Sounds like truck is treating you well. We have about 4500 miles on ours now, not a single issue... Knock on wood...

Old 09-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
PS...The lie-o-meter said 75% oil life at 5200 miles. What a joke, the oil that came out was mud! I would recommend, contrary to what the manual says, change at 5k not 7. I could qualify s heavy usage though do to the months of 100+ degree weather here in NC.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be changing the oil between 3-5K miles. It's nice to have the oil condition gauge there, but I'm not going past the 3-5k interval. I'll go 3k if I've been towing/hauling alot and 4-5k if I havent. That's just me though. I plan on having this truck a long time!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Mike in PA
Senior User
Needed the screwdriver and hammer years ago on a friends Valiant
but not since then. It may be wise for 2011 owners to take their new trucks to the dealer
to have them remove the filter the first time. Maybe they weld them on(grin).
What kind of oil are you guys putting in your trucks?

Mike in PA

Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Mike in PA
Needed the screwdriver and hammer years ago on a friends Valiant
but not since then. It may be wise for 2011 owners to take their new trucks to the dealer
to have them remove the filter the first time. Maybe they weld them on(grin).
What kind of oil are you guys putting in your trucks?

Mike in PA
Motorcraft Semi Synthetic 5w20. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not usually that quick to jump on board with manufacturer spec but this oil has has rave reviews (bobistheoilguy.com) and immaculate oil analysis. I'll be doing a Blackstone labs, oil analysis on this oil at 10k. Most of all the maintenance I'll do myself as I have on all my vehicles. I've never found a dealership I trust (thats my problem) and good Indy shops are few and far between. I move a lot so it's tough to find a good shop and stick with them. The dealership may be better equipped to get the filter off but more then likely they will over zealously tighten the new one right back on. The dealership I bought from offered the first 3 oil changes for free but I'll still do it myself.

Last edited by Thenewboss; 09-20-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Mike in PA
Senior User
Thanks for all that info 'boss. Just started reading bob the oil guy's stuff.
The Motorcraft oil seems to be the most noted for the new 6.2.
I understand your wanting to do the work yourself. The dealers seem to be in an ongoing state of kaos at all times.
I bought some mud flaps today at the dealer for my wife's car, the
parts guy and 2 mechanics all stating that there would be no drilling of fenders required.
Got them home, opened the box to see that they require drilling the fenders.
Don't know who to believe. There are no good shops around here that
one can stick with.
Mike in PA

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
On a brand-new engine, unless they use special break-in oil, I wouldn't let it go past 1-2K miles just for peace of mind.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
On a brand-new engine, unless they use special break-in oil, I wouldn't let it go past 1-2K miles just for peace of mind.
X2, what's $25 more after 1k miles when the vehicle is $30k +. Cheap insurance.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by Thenewboss
WOW! One 1/2" extension, SNAPPED! Ones metal oil filter, socket type wrench, STRIPPED! One standard, run of the mill oil filter wrench, MANGLED! Bloody knuckles and burned forearms and I finally resorted to the famous "Hammer and long screwdriver" method with some success. Seriously, do they have a state wide strong man contest in Dearborn MI to decide who gets to put the oil filters on the new trucks?! Anyway, end rant, first oil change on the new 6.2 complete. 5200 miles and a fantastic truck so far!
I can only remember one on that hard, a Cummins filter at that, not sure if they use a 3/4" impact at their assembly plant or what but dang it was on tight.

Did you oil sample your truck? I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

I personally use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my trucks, if it's good enough for Cat, Mercedes Benz and other's it's good enough for me.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Thenewboss
Been there...done that! I almost was at the point of calling AAA to tow mine in. But then I got mad...and with my trusty BIG screw driver with freak'in mess...it was off.

Still...it's something to talk about sitting around a camp fire chatting.

biz

Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
lbrjet
Freshman User
Agreed. I had a heck of a time getting my filter off the first time. A bit bent up, but didn't need the screw driver method which I did have to use once a long time ago.

2010 F250 5.4

Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

I noticed yesterday when helping a friend research new SuperDutys that the brochure says the 6.2 gas has " Oil-Minder System" while the 6.7 has the "Intelligent Oil-life monitor".

That Pi$$es me OFF as we were led to believe that the monitor was NOT just a milage based system -

Now - I figure to blow off the Ford's "OIL-Minder" & do my changes when I think necessary... I didn't have much faith in it anyway when I towed HEAVY ( in 100° temp/ some off road/dusty) for about 1200 miles when the truck had @ 2k on it and the minder said 92% good...

Rant Over - I still like my truck - but I feel that the advertising on ford website/ & even the 6.2 engineer that was on this site made things a little misleading..

Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Byram
I noticed yesterday when helping a friend research new SuperDutys that the brochure says the 6.2 gas has " Oil-Minder System" while the 6.7 has the "Intelligent Oil-life monitor".

That Pi$$es me OFF as we were led to believe that the monitor was NOT just a milage based system -

Now - I figure to blow off the Ford's "OIL-Minder" & do my changes when I think necessary... I didn't have much faith in it anyway when I towed HEAVY ( in 100° temp/ some off road/dusty) for about 1200 miles when the truck had @ 2k on it and the minder said 92% good...

Rant Over - I still like my truck - but I feel that the advertising on ford website/ & even the 6.2 engineer that was on this site made things a little misleading..
On the subject of the oil monitoring system. I changed mine for the first time at roughly5k and the "oil monitoring system" said 75% oil life left, yep I don't trust it!