Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
davelim davelim is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
davelim is starting off with a positive reputation.
oil life indicator

Hello,
I have 7,000 miles on my 2010 XLT and I recently did a system check on the speedometer. I was looking for oil life percent to be around 20-30% but all it showed was dashed lines. This is strange because I changed the oil at the dealership only about 4000 miles ago. The manual says 7500 miles between changes. Anyone else experience this from their system check? Also, I don't see any warning symbols or signs that would suggest an oil change is needed, unlike my odyssey which shows a yellow warning indicator when the oil is at 15% or lower.
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 AM
awq134's Avatar
awq134 awq134 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Linden, NC
Posts: 630
awq134 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.awq134 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
did someone turn it off? here's what the owners manual says. Not sure if you can decrease the value enough to turn it off or not, but just maybe that's what happened

OIL LIFE
This displays the remaining oil life.
An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center and
according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
(approximately 7,500 miles [12,000 km] or 12 months) perform the
following:
1. Press and release the SELECT/RESET stem to display “OIL LIFE
XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.
2. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET stem for two seconds and release
to reset the oil life to 100%.
Note: To change oil life 100% miles value from 7,500 miles (12,000 km)
or 12 months to another value, proceed to Step 3.
3. Once “OIL LIFE SET TO XXX%” is displayed, release and press the
SELECT/RESET stem to change the Oil Life Start Value. Each release
and press will reduce the value by 10%.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2010, 06:46 AM
juneau76's Avatar
juneau76 juneau76 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,050
juneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by awq134 View Post
did someone turn it off? here's what the owners manual says. Not sure if you can decrease the value enough to turn it off or not, but just maybe that's what happened

OIL LIFE
This displays the remaining oil life.
An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center and
according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
(approximately 7,500 miles [12,000 km] or 12 months) perform the
following:
1. Press and release the SELECT/RESET stem to display “OIL LIFE
XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.
2. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET stem for two seconds and release
to reset the oil life to 100%.
Note: To change oil life 100% miles value from 7,500 miles (12,000 km)
or 12 months to another value, proceed to Step 3.
3. Once “OIL LIFE SET TO XXX%” is displayed, release and press the
SELECT/RESET stem to change the Oil Life Start Value. Each release
and press will reduce the value by 10%.
Good info. I may try to reduce mine all the way down when it goes off.
__________________
Brad
2010 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 5.4L
2013 Explorer Limited (The wife's family truckster)

Quote:
You haven't lived life until you've done 110mph in a Yugo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2010, 08:47 AM
D8chumley's Avatar
D8chumley D8chumley is offline
Resident smarta$$
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oaks,PA
Posts: 4,508
D8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to behold
tim.burke.167
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelim View Post
Hello,
I have 7,000 miles on my 2010 XLT and I recently did a system check on the speedometer. I was looking for oil life percent to be around 20-30% but all it showed was dashed lines. This is strange because I changed the oil at the dealership only about 4000 miles ago. The manual says 7500 miles between changes. Anyone else experience this from their system check? Also, I don't see any warning symbols or signs that would suggest an oil change is needed, unlike my odyssey which shows a yellow warning indicator when the oil is at 15% or lower.
Dave
It is quite possible that the dealer didn't reset the OLI after they changed it. I know mine didn't get reset when my dealer did the free first OC last week, I checked it when I left the dealership and lo and behold it wasn't reset. Also, the windshield reminder sticker has an OCI for 3000 miles ??? The receipt said 5 qts 5w30 but the sticker says 5w20. Holy conflicting numbers Batman! I checked it immediately and it was up to the full line or they would've had a disgruntled customer on their hands...
__________________
~ Tim ~
If you can't stand behind our Military, feel free to stand in front of them!
'10 F150 XLT 4X4 CC shortbed 5.4 *5 Star tuned* No Bailout Edition , 07 Road King Classic
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 PM
juneau76's Avatar
juneau76 juneau76 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,050
juneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by D8chumley View Post
Also, the windshield reminder sticker has an OCI for 3000 miles ???
The dealer that I bought my truck from is telling me it's due at 3,000 miles, also. Unfortunately, they are 1.5 hours away so I will be doing it myself and not getting it for free.
__________________
Brad
2010 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 5.4L
2013 Explorer Limited (The wife's family truckster)

Quote:
You haven't lived life until you've done 110mph in a Yugo
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
soundwave's Avatar
soundwave soundwave is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Detroit 'burbs
Posts: 811
soundwave is starting off with a positive reputation.
The dealer didnt reset mine, either. I had to reset it. Im not quite sure of the purpose of this feature, anyway. I got my first oil change at 6,500miles and 6months of ownership. The reading from the dash said I had something like "20% oil life. oil ok.".

But the manual says change the oil every 7,500 miles OR 6 months, whichever comes first. If I had listened to this goofy gage, it wouldve not coincided with the manual (and my better judgment)
__________________
Current ride: 2010 F150 FX4 SCAB Flame Blue
Past trucks:1) Black two tone grey, loaded 2007 F-150 XLT Supercab 4X4 with the chrome package!2) 1995 2WD Yellow Ranger Splash Supercab 3) 1999 4X4, Red Ranger Sport Flareside Supercab, 4) 2004 Sonic Blue FX4 Ranger

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 AM
D8chumley's Avatar
D8chumley D8chumley is offline
Resident smarta$$
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oaks,PA
Posts: 4,508
D8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to behold
tim.burke.167
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau76 View Post
The dealer that I bought my truck from is telling me it's due at 3,000 miles, also. Unfortunately, they are 1.5 hours away so I will be doing it myself and not getting it for free.
This is for your first change right? I actually did the first one on mine at 2k just because I wanted to, and the dealer freebie came at around 6400. The sticker indicates the next one should be at 9400 but like Soundwave said, the manual says 7500/6 mos. I'm going that route and might do a UOA since I have a few unused sample bottles left over. I believe its just a ploy by the dealer to get you to spend your money. If it were them paying for, say even 1 years worth of changes, would they consider the interval at 3k or 5-6-7k?
__________________
~ Tim ~
If you can't stand behind our Military, feel free to stand in front of them!
'10 F150 XLT 4X4 CC shortbed 5.4 *5 Star tuned* No Bailout Edition , 07 Road King Classic
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM
xciton xciton is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 26
xciton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awq134 View Post
Note: To change oil life 100% miles value from 7,500 miles (12,000 km)
or 12 months to another value, proceed to Step 3.

3. Once “OIL LIFE SET TO XXX%” is displayed, release and press the
SELECT/RESET stem to change the Oil Life Start Value. Each release
and press will reduce the value by 10%.
FYI On my model (FX4, where you only have ONE button), the instructions published in the Ford manual are not correct. The instructions assume you have the three button trip computer.

For the single button version, when you hold the button waiting for it to reset to 100%, keep holding the stick when it changes (don't release). It will eventually start counting down in 10% decrements. When you see the value you want, release the button.


(PS and off-topic... why does this forum's text editor insist on removing my whitespace (blank lines) I place in my reply for readability? Very annoying that I have to force them in with BR codes)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
juneau76's Avatar
juneau76 juneau76 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,050
juneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by D8chumley View Post
This is for your first change right?
That's affirmative. I wasn't real clear on that, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8chumley View Post
I'm going that route and might do a UOA since I have a few unused sample bottles left over.
I plan on doing UOAs for the same reason. I'm so used to doing them, it would seem weird not to do them anymore. It may be a waste, but it'll be my piece of mind.
__________________
Brad
2010 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 5.4L
2013 Explorer Limited (The wife's family truckster)

Quote:
You haven't lived life until you've done 110mph in a Yugo
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Superduty Message Center Display Issues waterskibumfl 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 21 01-15-2013 07:49 PM
Advance trac warning now_exowner Expedition & Navigator 8 10-29-2012 08:41 AM
OIL CHANGE DUE??? BigDfromTN 2009 - 2014 F150 11 09-17-2012 05:53 PM
Remaining Oil Life grampscamper 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 25 12-06-2011 09:37 PM
Information center says "change oil soon" BigBadBob 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 16 08-08-2007 11:19 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150

Tags
2009, 2010, 5, change, f150, ford, indicator, life, light, manual, oil, owners, pickup, remaining, reset, resetting, supercrew

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup