Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Powerstroke 6.0 vs. Cummins 5.9 vs. Duramax 6.6

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by WXboy
[B]First of all, Dodge's warranty covers ALL of the driveline. Ford's only covers that diesel engine. So Dodge's warranty IS much better.
Ford's warranty is 3yr/36k bumper to bumper, 5yr/100k engine. GM's is the same, Dodges is 3yr/36k, unless you go with the extended 7yr/70k warranty, which is bumper to bumper, otherwise the Cummins is 5yr100k. The only "advantage" with a Dodge is if you can get the 7yr/70k warranty for free.

Second, the 6.0 PSD is NOT king of the hill, because it still hasn't proven itself. It is currently plagued with lots of problems.
The 6L is KING of the POWER hill. Dodge's 5.9L HO is NOT available in automatic Form, so what is available is STILL behind the Dmax and 6L PSD. The triton's and other motors are still new and they technically haven't proven themselves yet either. Would that stop you from purchasing one? The cummins may be 14 model years old and is proven, yet they have had a few minor problems.

Who cares about 560 lb./ft. of torque if you can't keep it out of the shop?
Who cares about 235hp/460ft/lbs of torque if you can't keep it out of the shop due to transmission failures?

If you want a diesel truck, the Dodge is still the way to go. I'm a Ford man...but the facts are the facts.

It is the way to go for a good motor, but it would still by my third choice. I'll take a 6L/TorqShift or a Duramax/Allison before a HO/48RE. Plus I can get one now, Dodge's isn't even out yet.

One thing I agree upon, that the cummin's is cheaper/easier to bomb than the others.

Old 02-24-2003, 01:19 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

First of all, Dodge's warranty covers ALL of the driveline. Ford's only covers that diesel engine. So Dodge's warranty IS much better.

Second, the 6.0 PSD is NOT king of the hill, because it still hasn't proven itself. It is currently plagued with lots of problems.

If you want a diesel truck, the Dodge is still the way to go. I'm a Ford man...but the facts are the facts.

With all due respect, which facts are you talking about??? The wrong "fact" concerning the 7.3 is a converted gas engine?? Or that you won't buy Japanese because the money goes to foreign country? (previous post, different topic) Have you noticed who owns Dodge and where the money goes????

As far as the extra 34,000 miles of powertrain ONLY warranty Dodge may offer, a powertrain extended warranty is available from Ford also at an additional cost. I have to believe that ANY powertrain will go 70,000(dodge automatics being the exception) It would be the electronics and other systems I'd worry about that a P/T warranty doesn't cover.

Old 02-24-2003, 01:45 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 339 Likes on 206 Posts

Well, it is true about the Dodge automatic. But most people who do serious work with their trucks prefer the 6-speed manual anyhow. And with the 6-speed manual, the Cummins makes equal power when compared to the PSD (who cares if the advertised numbers are slightly different? We all know that once you get the truck on a dyno you come up with results that are no way near the advertised specs.)

Not only that, but the Cummins does it with two fewer cylinders. Quite impressive if you ask me.

And about the new PSD proving itself.... I would say that the other Triton motors have had enough time to prove themselves. This new 6.0 PSD has only been out a few months, and it's already had tons of complaints (just look in the diesel forums). That is why I say it hasn't proven itself.

If it was my $40K, I'd buy something that has a great reputation...and right now that is NOT the Ford diesel. Sorry guys.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:45 PM
franktheman
Senior User

Well guys,..WXboy and I have had some strong disagreement before(Ford/GM sales thread), but I gotta say-I agree 100% with his last post.

The 6.0PSD is still too new to get a whole lot of respect from me-in all honesty though -I'm grateful to those with the cash and cajones who put their money into new technology-without real world testers no engine/trans combo would get it's bugs worked out.

It won't be me though-my wallets not deep enough for that...lol.

Regards.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

Well, it is true about the Dodge automatic. But most people who do serious work with their trucks prefer the 6-speed manual anyhow. And with the 6-speed manual, the Cummins makes equal power when compared to the PSD (who cares if the advertised numbers are slightly different? We all know that once you get the truck on a dyno you come up with results that are no way near the advertised specs.)
If most Dodges are equipped with manuals, why do I only find automatics in Cummins equipped trucks on lots?

Not only that, but the Cummins does it with two fewer cylinders. Quite impressive if you ask me.
It is impressive, I've seen some 650hp//1070ft/lbs Cummins in Dodges, I've not seen any PSDs or Duramaxes with ratings that high yet, however, most diesel pickups are bone stock. If the cummins has a advantage in size, why does it get the same or worse mileage than the PSD and Duramax?

And about the new PSD proving itself.... I would say that the other Triton motors have had enough time to prove themselves. This new 6.0 PSD has only been out a few months, and it's already had tons of complaints (just look in the diesel forums). That is why I say it hasn't proven itself.
I'm only aware of a turbo problem on one of the 6Ls, and one guy who had a problem with the truck not starting. Both turned out to be very minor and both were back on the road in at least a day. The tritons have been in trucks for exactly 7 years (this month, believe it or not!) and they had a bunch of problems when they originally came out. I don't believe that stopped anyone from buying 'em. The 7.3L PSD had cavitation problems, yet they STILL sold more than GM and Dodge.

If it was my $40K, I'd buy something that has a great reputation...and right now that is NOT the Ford diesel. Sorry guys.
To each his own, but with the tranny failures in the Rams and the fact they don't have a true crewcab, I am "stuck" with the choices of a GM or a Ford.[COLOR=sienna]If most Dodges are equipped with manuals, why do I only find automatics in Cummins-equipped trucks on lots?

Last edited by Pastmaster; 02-24-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:17 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master

Well, my father bought a 2002 Dodge with the Cummins H.O. and the 6-speed, and his is a dually and is four-wheel-drive. Even loaded he is getting upwards of 16 miles per gallon. Try that with a V8 diesel. So no, the Cummins doesn't do worse on fuel.

Second, I live about 30 minutes away from the Ford plant where the SuperDuty trucks are built, so they are a big thing around here. A guy that works at the plant told us that right now, Navistar International is shipping more 6.0 PSDs to dealers for engine REPLACEMENTS than they are shipping to the Ford plant for new trucks.

Guys, that is AWFUL. Don't tell me the new PSD isn't plagued with problems....it IS. You guys can drop $40K on one if you want to, it's your money.

All I was saying is that if you need a diesel pickup truck, Dodge is the only way to go right now. (Who would consider an Isuzu/GM product anyway? Heat + aluminum heads = trouble in the long run).

Old 02-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, my father bought a 2002 Dodge with the Cummins H.O. and the 6-speed, and his is a dually and is four-wheel-drive. Even loaded he is getting upwards of 16 miles per gallon. Try that with a V8 diesel. So no, the Cummins doesn't do worse on fuel.

Second, I live about 30 minutes away from the Ford plant where the SuperDuty trucks are built, so they are a big thing around here. A guy that works at the plant told us that right now, Navistar International is shipping more 6.0 PSDs to dealers for engine REPLACEMENTS than they are shipping to the Ford plant for new trucks.

Guys, that is AWFUL. Don't tell me the new PSD isn't plagued with problems....it IS. You guys can drop $40K on one if you want to, it's your money.

All I was saying is that if you need a diesel pickup truck, Dodge is the only way to go right now. (Who would consider an Isuzu/GM product anyway? Heat + aluminum heads = trouble in the long run).
I take into account the whole package, not just the engine. Dodge has had few problems with the cummins, but the rest of the truck seems to be a little flimsey from what I have seen. Being in the military I get to drive and see all different brands of trucks. I dunno about your buddy at the plant. He might be right. I dunno. I'm a little on the doubtful side.

I completely don't understand the aluminum head thing. I obviously need more education on how a diesel works. I thoguht that heat and compression made the engine fire. Why lessen the effect of one of these elements? I think durability is going to be a problem, but then who knows. They are new engines and the Dmax might end up being the best. If I were in absolute need for a new diesel truck right now I would be going to the ford dealership.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:42 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

Well, my father bought a 2002 Dodge with the Cummins H.O. and the 6-speed, and his is a dually and is four-wheel-drive. .

It's all clear now. Daddy's got one so they're the best. Can't believe he bought a foreign truck. Don't you know where the money goes??? LOL!!!!

Old 02-25-2003, 12:23 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say that the cummins is thust far unchallenged as being the top dog, when it come to diesel in light trucks. The 6.0 may have a chance, to de-throne the cummins, but it hasn't been around long enough to prove itself.

I'm sure that the whopping 5 ft/lb torque advantage gives the 6.0 an advantage.

Right now, I would buy a dodge truck if I was in the market for a brand new truck, but if I was to buy a 1998 or older HD ford (gas) or 1996 older half ton, I go ford.

Maybee the dodge auto has problems maybee it doesn't. My uncle's is still going fine behind a cummins. But I still wouldn't buy any automatic truck myslef.

Old 02-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

[B]Well, my father bought a 2002 Dodge with the Cummins H.O. and the 6-speed, and his is a dually and is four-wheel-drive. Even loaded he is getting upwards of 16 miles per gallon. Try that with a V8 diesel. So no, the Cummins doesn't do worse on fuel.
I drive several dually Fords at work, from a 1995-2003. All 7.3Ls and only a couple of them are 4x4s. Automatics and a couple of 5/6 speeds. The 95-97s get about 16mpg (2wds get around 19) and the newer ones get around 15-19(2wd)

I really don't see a benefit with a cummins, again.

Pure heresay, but the fact is, Ford/Navistar requires the dealers to replace the motor entirely, not fixing, just as GM/Isuzu does with the Duramax. But I would question just how legit that is in accuracy.

I plan to, in fact I will be getting a Crewcab shortbed PSD/Torqshift this fall, or possibly in the spring. I'm not worried, after all that is what the lemon law and warranties are for!

Prove it, the diesel page hasn't had a single member with a head problem yet. There was a member on PUTC that is a broker/hauler. He had a early D/A that he used for 450k (450,000miles). One allison failure at 100k (cost him big, outta warranty ) and one minor turbo problem. Guess what, the heads were still attached and no head gasket problems either.

Old 02-25-2003, 03:00 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master

quote:

Originally posted by DOHCmarauder
It's all clear now. Daddy's got one so they're the best. Can't believe he bought a foreign truck. Don't you know where the money goes??? LOL!!!!

Hmm...last I checked, Dodge was a U.S. company, and the RAM pickups were built at either St. Louis, MO or Detroit, MI plants...both being American cities. How does that make the RAM a foreign truck? I'm not following your logic here....

And were those Fords loaded with 5,000 lbs. of tools on a utility bed when they were getting 19 miles per gallon? Just wondering...

I like the SuperDuty truck better too guys...in fact I'd love to have one right now. But I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a truck with an engine full of bugs. Why would you guys do that? And in reference to my previous post, why would someone who works for Ford say things like that about the new SuperDuty PSD unless it was true? The guys working at the plant here are proud to build the Ford trucks, I don't think it's a lie at all. They wouldn't tell us that stuff if it were not true. You know?

Like I said, it is your money...buy whatever you want. I just don't think Ford diesel is the best choice right now.

Old 02-25-2003, 04:55 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dodge is a German company and has been for a couple of years.

Old 02-25-2003, 05:05 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

Daimler owns Chrysler and Mercedes. "Rumors" are that Dodge will use Mercedes diesels eventually.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:31 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

Thanks for the back up gentlemen.

WXboy, You somehow "forgot" that dodge trucks are also made in Mexico.

I'm trying to be diplomatic here. You bash toyota for being a foreign make but yet tout a foreign company here.

If the powers that be wish it, I will start a new topic. But I only have one question: What benefits a local(American city) economy more; a toyota plant employing 1000's in anywhere USA or a Ford, dodge, chevy plant in Mexico???

It's a global economy, get over it.

Back on topic. The G2 will have teething problems just like the 24 valve Cummins did and the Duramax did. Ford will iron them out. Right now the G2 is the top powerplant out there.......PERIOD.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:12 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master

For your information, there is no plant in Mexico. It closed it's doors long ago.

And I know that Diamler (or however you spell it) bought Chrysler recently, but I thought the Dodge branch was still headquartered in the U.S. Thanks Ken for the update.

Quick Reply: Powerstroke 6.0 vs. Cummins 5.9 vs. Duramax 6.6