Help, Help, Help, Another no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Strikeldr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, Help, Help, Another no start problem

Hi all,

Help, Help, Help, I have another no start problem. I have a stock 96 F-350, crew cab, 4X4 PSD with 177,000 miles. Ran great until a few weeks ago until suddenly a no start condition. Would crank and crank without starting. No smoke or anything. Originally it was showing codes for CPS and ICP. Found oil in the ICP and changed it with a used one as a tester. Also changed the CPS with the new gray one. Seemed to have OK fuel pressure.

After clearing codes, truck started and ran fine for a few miles at low speed and low RPM. When I got on it hard, the check engine light came on and it still ran but with almost no power. Limped home and after shutting it off, restarted OK and did the same thing three or four times but got progressively worse and would stall at about 20 MPH. Finally got to the point it would crank but would not start.

Buddy who is a Ford mechanic came over and ran diagnostics. Buzz tested all injectors and all are OK. Still throwing codes ICP and IPR. Wait to start light comes on. When cranking Tach moves showing RPM's. Put a new ICP on ($180 from Ford) still just cranked, but wouldn't start. Unplugged ICP and same thing, no start. Found some oil in the valley and checked IPR pig tale. Wires were burnt and insulation messed up. Spliced in new pig tale. Still cranked, but wouldn't start. Thinking the burnt pig tale fried the IPR sensor, changed the sensor with a used one known to work. Same thing, cranks, but no start. Changed the entire IPR valve with new one and still cranks but no start.

Ran diagnostics while cranking and only showed something like 150 PSI oil pressure. Buddy said it takes something like 1,000 PSI oil pressure to start the engine. Checked the oil level in the High Pressure Oil Pump reservoir and oil was near the top. He believes the only thing left it could be is the High Pressure Oil Pump is bad and needs replaced.

Called all over the place and found that both Ford and International wanted to rip me off by charging around $1,000 just for a HPOP (plus core charge) when I can buy one online for $380 or $580 for the HPOP with a new IPR. That is just plain robbery. Because I need my truck fixed ASAP I was going to pay the ripoff price and buy from the Ford dealer when I ran into another problem. There are two different HPOP's for the 1996 7.3 PSD and they need the engine serial number to identify the right one. I checked the passenger valve cover, entire engine block and everywhere else I could I could see and couldn't find the serial number. The dealer also couldn't identify the serial number from the VIN for a 1996.

So my questions are, does my no start problem sound like the HPOP or does it sound like something else??? Once again, I have installed a new gray CPS, a new ICP and a new IPR. All wiring looks good and I seem to have sufficient fuel pressure. Additionally, if it is a HPOP I need, can I go with a newer year??? I read one post that said the HPOP's from 1996-2003 are really all the same and I could use a newer year like a 2000 and it will give a little better performance when towing because it produces higher oil pressure than the stock 1996 HPOP. Lastly, if I have to use the stock 1996 HPOP, how can I find the engine serial number in order to get the right pump? Being new to working on my PSD, I need to wait til my buddy comes over to take the old one off so I can't take the old one down to match up and anyway, I will now probably buy it online to save about $500 on the part.

Please help. Your time and guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:17 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

sounds like you covered a lot of ground. did you check the #22 fuse under the hood? BTW HPOP's dont just go out, they fail over time

Old 09-17-2010, 02:27 AM
Strikeldr
New User
Yes, we checked all the fuses. All are OK. Truck ran fine until several weeks ago. Went on vacation and after sitting for a month, it would not start. It ran perfect before that....no stalling or anything. Now it just cranks and won't start. We have tried everything we can think of other than the HPOP. Seems to be low oil pressure causing the problems.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Strikeldr
New User
Read that post. It seems that his problem was a lack of low oil pressure and his HPOP reservoir would empty and not refill. My HPOP has oil to the top and and the idiot gauge in the dash shows oil pressure when cranking.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

the idiot gauge is an on/off switch that is triggered at 7psi. your problems make me want to say IPR, but, you already checked that

Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Strikeldr
New User
Yes, replaced the IPR pig tale, tried just a working IPR sensor and then replaced the complete IPR. After replacing the complete IPR, got it to fire for about 5 minutes. Tried to hold it at about 2,000 RPM and motor would surge and lose RPM's. Finally it stalled and we could not get it restarted again. We then ran diagnostics and while cranking it only had about 150 PSI and my buddy said it needs much more oil pressure to start. That why my buddy thinks it is the HPOP. Who knows, maybe we got a bad IPR???

Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

if it is not injector o-rings, then i am lost. bad o-rings would cause slow rev

Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Strikeldr
New User
Wouldn't the diagnostic buzz test detect bad injector O rings?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

i am not sure, but i would say no. i think the buzz test just checks to see if the injectors are firing, not if they are leaking fuel/oil at the o-rings, witch is outside the injector

Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 AM
Strikeldr
New User
Well maybe we should get another IPR and then check O Rings before going for the HPOP. May try that tomorrow if I can get my buddy over. Gonna call it a night as its getting late. Thanks for your help. Will post the progress. Thanks...

Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

try the IPR first

Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

check back and keep us posted. there will be of smarter than me guys to add.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Strikeldr
New User
Will do, thanks...

Old 09-17-2010, 06:13 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm not smart enough to help you with your problem either but if you need a new hpop get a 17* off of a superduty (2000-2003) 7.3. Only thing different to change them is the fittings for the lines.. Put your fittings off of your pump on that one.

Seems like it should be something else, I can't believe that pump went out like that either, I guess anything's possible though..