Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Not starting 7.3 idi

Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 AM
victor 7.3 idi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not starting 7.3 idi

My 7.3 sat for 2 years and it wont start.

my glowplugs work fine and the injectionpump has 2 electrical cables attached to it wich delliver current
the IP definitly gets diesel now
when i stored it it had diesel in it but yesterday i have toped it up because it would not start and then i noticed the fuelgauge was on Empty.

i have disconected the metal fuel injector line to one of the injectors and when i cranked it some diesel drips out very slowley so i guess there is something wrong there.

as it is my first diesel im not farmilliar with the whole diesel concept.
by the way im sorry for the horrible english. it is not my language as im from belguim.
no one can help me over there because there are practicly no big block v8 diesels.

thanks in advance

Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
victor welcome to the forum! There are going to be a lot of questions so hang on. What condition are the batterys in? Does the engine spin over fast when trying to start? Is there. Any smoke from the tail pipe when cranking?Sounds like you are getting fuel, but check the fuel pressure and flow from the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. It looks like a tire valve that you air tires up. You should have 5 to 7 pounds of pressure while cranking the motor. You can check that with a cheap tire gague. If that checks out remove the center from the schraker valve and slip a hose over it and place the other end in a container, then crank it over you should get one third pint in 10 seconds of cranking. If either of these fail the lift pump is bad.
This is a couple of places to start out whit. Oh by the way your English is fine, probably beter than mine and it is the only language I speak.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 AM
victor 7.3 idi
New User
thank you for welcoming me!

the questions:
*batterys : Old and not to good, i recharged them but definitly not strong enough to rotate the starterengine
*Yes the engine spins over resonably fast when i crank because i use 2 other cars with jumpleads to start.
* No smoke out of the tailpipe, it never fires, not even on a single cilinder.

I checked the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. my brother cranked and i pushed with the point of a screwdriver on the schrader valve to open it. Allot of fuel came out with quit a pressure so i pressume the mechanical lift pump is in working order.
i also (don't know if it was smart to do) detached the fuelpipe at the top of the filterhead wich is leading to the injection pump to make shure the fuel filter wasn't blocked. but it wasn't

thanks in advance,
vic

Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Welcome Vic! Farment is right,your english is fine,have you read some of Joe350's post? and hes from California!!! Before you get to far in your batteries must be in good,good shape with clean connections all around.It takes alot of power to spin these engines fast enough.I would start there.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:34 PM
victor 7.3 idi
New User
Originally Posted by Rick Wallace
Welcome Vic! Farment is right,your english is fine,have you read some of Joe350's post? and hes from California!!! Before you get to far in your batteries must be in good,good shape with clean connections all around.It takes alot of power to spin these engines fast enough.I would start there.
thanks!

okay, i will buy new batterys as i need those anyway. but with the jumpleads the startmotor is turning over quite fast though

Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have fuel at the schrader.
You have no fuel at the Injector.

Indicates a failed Injection Pump.

You can try a few things
1. Pull the fuel filter and empty it, then fill it with a "High Lubricity Additive" like Stanadyne High Lubricity Formula.
Then crank the truck for one 20 second interval.
Allow to set for a period of time, the longer the better (like 24 hours)

2. with the key on, unplug and replug the FSS wire a few times. (The FSS wire is the wire thats closest to the front of the truck on the IP)
Hopefully this unsticks a stuck FSS (Fuel Shutoff Solenoid)

Does the FSS click when unhooking and rehooking ???

-Enjoy
fh : )_~