Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 F-350 7.3 PS lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM
lyaws
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F-350 7.3 PS lack of power

I have a 2001 7.3 with 200K on it. It is lacking power all around. I change the oil regularly and fuel filter everytime I change the oil. The air filter is a K&N and is clean. It gets about 13 to 14mpg. I have had the turbo replaed and the injectors checked by the ford house and my mechanic and both say they are fine. Both say the fuel pressure is more than adequate. I really notice the lack of power between 45 and 60mph when the truck is in overdrive. When I press on the accelerator I cant hear the turbo and the engine feels very restricted and has very little power. I have a travel trailer that weighs about 7000lbs and it is a struggle to pull it down the road. When the tranny shifts you can hear the waste out of the turbo. All of the people that have looked at my truck or driven it feel what I am talking about but cannot figure out where the problem is. I am just tired of putting money into this truck and not having it run right. Does anyone have any ideas????

Old 09-14-2010, 12:03 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Welcome to FTE.We will get ya going.
Since the fuel pressure checked fine I would rule out the pick up screens in the tank but...did they check the fuel pressure at idle?When it gets under a load I wonder what the pressure is?
I am thinking you have some turbo boots leaking or exhaust leaks somewhere.Check all the boots and see if they are tight.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Couple questions: Are you getting a SES (Service Engine Soon) light on the dash? How did the dealer/mechanic check fuel pressure under acceleration?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get them to check the ICP to make sure your HPOP or IPR is not going bad.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
At 45-60 in overdrive, what's your RPM's? Guessing around 1500 maybe. Might just have to tach that thing up. What else with the truck, lift, tires, mods??

Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 AM
lyaws
New User
Originally Posted by riverrat41
Welcome to FTE.We will get ya going.
Since the fuel pressure checked fine I would rule out the pick up screens in the tank but...did they check the fuel pressure at idle?When it gets under a load I wonder what the pressure is?
I am thinking you have some turbo boots leaking or exhaust leaks somewhere.Check all the boots and see if they are tight.

I have had the boots replaced also.. However sometimes when I am pulling my travel trailer and I am hard on the throttle and it is feeling restricted There is sometimes a high pitched wind noise from the turbo. It doesnt last very long. The screens in the tank were dirty and they fixed that problem.. That was the last thing I had done to it. I wanna say the pressure was either 55 or 75. Honestly I cant remember but I was told that it was good.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 AM
lyaws
New User
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Welcome to FTE.

Couple questions: Are you getting a SES (Service Engine Soon) light on the dash? How did the dealer/mechanic check fuel pressure under acceleration?
No, the ses light doesnt come on. I am not sure how they checked the fuel pressure.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey welcome to FTE! First off, when you get a chance and or extra income, ditch that K&N filter- they are too open an element for turbo diesel use. There are tons of other intake filters and systems available that won't destroy your turbo.

If your fuel pressure is good, and you have no leaks on the intake side, have you checked for leaks on the up-pipes yet? A leak there can casue loss of power. And like the others said, if you can find a way to check your ICP or pressure the HPOP is putting out, that may help some. Please gives us any more info you can, and stay tuned to FTE and enjoy all the savings from learning here on FTE!!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM
lyaws
New User
Originally Posted by mongo75
Hey welcome to FTE! First off, when you get a chance and or extra income, ditch that K&N filter- they are too open an element for turbo diesel use. There are tons of other intake filters and systems available that won't destroy your turbo.

If your fuel pressure is good, and you have no leaks on the intake side, have you checked for leaks on the up-pipes yet? A leak there can casue loss of power. And like the others said, if you can find a way to check your ICP or pressure the HPOP is putting out, that may help some. Please gives us any more info you can, and stay tuned to FTE and enjoy all the savings from learning here on FTE!!
Ok I will get another filter tomorrow. Ive heard that more than once. I am kinda new to the diesel world so what is the ICP and HPOP? Is this something I can do myself as a fairly nonmechanical person?? I appreciate everything I hear form yall. What about sythetic oil, could that help too?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ICP is Injection Control Pressure (sensor) it's located at the front of the drivers cylinder head. If you simply unplug the connector, it will go into default mode and if the ICP is indeed causing a fault of some sort, the engine should run better. The HPOP, is the heart of the engine. The High Pressure Oil Pump provides high pressure oil to the injectors via the cylinder head (internal) rails anywhere from about 550psi to 3500ish psi, where the injector intensifier piston multiplies that amount by 7, so you get 3500-21000 psi of fuel being pushed out of 7 tiny holes in your injector nozzle. As your HPOP begins to wear out, you will gradually notice a loss in power and an maybe increase in smoke when the hpop can't push fuel like it used to, or rather force the injectors to atomize fuel like they should. Hope this offers some insight to the system. It's an old system Caterpiller started some years back, but it is reliable and proven. Best thing about it is if you lose oil pressure for whatever reason, you can not run and seize the engine.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
lack of power

[quote=mongo75;9330849]Hey welcome to FTE! First off, when you get a chance and or extra income, ditch that K&N filter- they are too open an element for turbo diesel use. There are tons of other intake filters and systems available that won't destroy your turbo. quote]

Come on now lets address his problem not make blanketed statements about other products on his vehicle that have nothing to do with the problem. To set the record straight the K&N filter is not going to cause damage to his turbo unless it improperly maintained, and damaged. The K&N filter 98-99% efficent with out sacrificing air flow.

To me it sounds like a fuel pressure issue. What are your EGT's if you have a EGT guage. If your egts are below 1100 under load then I you most likely have a fuel delivery issue.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:08 PM
lyaws
New User
Originally Posted by mongo75
The ICP is Injection Control Pressure (sensor) it's located at the front of the drivers cylinder head. If you simply unplug the connector, it will go into default mode and if the ICP is indeed causing a fault of some sort, the engine should run better. The HPOP, is the heart of the engine. The High Pressure Oil Pump provides high pressure oil to the injectors via the cylinder head (internal) rails anywhere from about 550psi to 3500ish psi, where the injector intensifier piston multiplies that amount by 7, so you get 3500-21000 psi of fuel being pushed out of 7 tiny holes in your injector nozzle. As your HPOP begins to wear out, you will gradually notice a loss in power and an maybe increase in smoke when the hpop can't push fuel like it used to, or rather force the injectors to atomize fuel like they should. Hope this offers some insight to the system. It's an old system Caterpiller started some years back, but it is reliable and proven. Best thing about it is if you lose oil pressure for whatever reason, you can not run and seize the engine.
Ok no smoke what so ever out of the tail pipe. I will look for the ICP and unplug it and see if that helps. I have no idea what this looks like but I will look and try. I truely appreciate you taking the time to assist me as this is a very frustrating and costly search,

Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
No smoke when you stomp on the throttle is definitlely pointing to lack of fuel pressure. Sound like your on the right track.

good luck

Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM
lyaws
New User
Originally Posted by RPelkey
No smoke when you stomp on the throttle is definitlely pointing to lack of fuel pressure. Sound like your on the right track.

good luck

Thanks Will the ICP say ICP or what do I look for?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 PM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
icp location

Below these instructions are for hooking up an the wire harness on the edge controler to the ICP sensor. Hope this can help you locate the sensor. I personally have not worked on this engine.
Connect the supplied ICP sensor wiring harness to the supplied main wiring harness in the engine compartment. Disconnect the stock wiring harness at the sensor located above the valve cover on the driver’s side towards the front of the engine. Plug the supplied ICP sensor connector into the stock ICP sensor on the engine and the stock engine wiring harness connector into the supplied ICP sensor connector.
NOTE: The ICP connector is on the drivers side of the engine located close to the engine removal ring under the boost hose – Notice the BLUE gasket. The ICP connector is NOT located at the front of the engine, as that is a coolant sensor!

Quick Reply: 2001 F-350 7.3 PS lack of power