1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Leaking Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM
hillbilly51
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Tranny

My 51 F1 transmission is leaking. I thought a rear seal would fix it so off I go to NAPA. Bought a rear seal for 48-52, good to go right? No! The seal was way to small. Took it back and got a seal for a 53 and it worked perfect. The next day I backed her out of the garage and guess what it was still leaking. After cleaning it up and laying under it for a few minutes it looks like it is leaking around the 2 shafts and the pin that goes through them on the rear of the tranny housing. Is this fixable, or should I look for another tranny? If I can't fix it what year trannys will fit my 51. It ia a toploader 3 speed now and I would like to keep it that way. I am on S.S. Dissability and a fixed income doesn't allow for high dollar conversion kits. I would be greatful for any info Guy's.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can probably get it rebuilt. Sounds like it's just seals. I may have a 3 speed toploader in a few days. Getting it on a trade.

You should post your location in the user profile so we all know where in the nation (or world) you're located. It helps with finding parts as there may be a few people around you with the needed parts or vendor suggestions.

Welcome to the forum!