6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Diesel Fuel differences by brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:58 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aquaman
I came across this post in a VW TDI forum.

TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - Newbies and Vets: Tips for better fuel economy!

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Chevron, 49;
PetroCanada, 47-51
Marathon, 45-47
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Flying J, 40
I wish we had Chevron out here...However, our Sinclair stations are the worst, so maybe those ratings came from a particular region. I run Diamond Shamrock or Valero; and use Diesel Kleen religiously. After a few tanks, my mileage increased, and my regens are 400-600 miles apart. (I have the old flash that stays on, which I prefer)

Old 09-26-2010, 05:35 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
There's no requirement to post cetane levels as there is for octane. The only requirement in CA is a minimum of 40.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by aquaman
There's no requirement to post cetane levels as there are for octane. The only requirement in CA is a minimum of 40.
That's what I thought...

Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Scottwoo
Junior User
F.Y.I. I just read on the chevron website that Texas, like California, has a minimum cetane requirement of 48 in it diesel according to TxLED. Here is the link. Chevron Products: Fuel School Answers

Unfortunately, this program only covers 110 counties in eastern Texas. Glad i'm in one of the 110... http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/implemen...eandiesel.html

Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Scottwoo
Junior User
Straight from the TXLED website...

.Adopted May 9, 2007 Effective May 31, 2007
§114.319. Affected Counties and Compliance Dates.
(a) Affected persons in the counties listed in subsection (b) of this section shall be in compliance in accordance with the schedule listed in subsection (c) of this section with §§114.312 -
114.317 of this title (relating to Low Emission Diesel Standards; Designated Alternate Limits; Registration of Diesel Producers and Importers; Approved Test Methods; Monitoring, Recordkeeping, and Reporting Requirements; and Exemptions to Low Emission Diesel Requirements), as applicable, for diesel fuel defined under §114.6(7)(A) of this title (relating to Low Emission Fuel Definitions) that may ultimately be used to power a diesel-fueled compression-ignition engine in a motor vehicle or in non-road equipment.
(b) The following counties are subject to subsection (a) of this section:

(1) Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, and Tarrant;

(2)
Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller;

(3) Hardin, Jefferson, and Orange; and
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Page 26
Chapter 114 - Control of Air Pollution from Motor Vehicles

(4)
Anderson, Angelina, Aransas, Atascosa, Austin, Bastrop, Bee, Bell, Bexar, Bosque, Bowie, Brazos, Burleson, Caldwell, Calhoun, Camp, Cass, Cherokee, Colorado, Comal,Cooke, Coryell, De Witt, Delta, Falls, Fannin, Fayette, Franklin, Freestone, Goliad, Gonzales, Grayson, Gregg, Grimes, Guadalupe, Harrison, Hays, Henderson, Hill, Hood, Hopkins, Houston, Hunt, Jackson, Jasper, Karnes, Lamar, Lavaca, Lee, Leon, Limestone, Live Oak, Madison, Marion, Matagorda, McLennan, Milam, Morris, Nacogdoches, Navarro, Newton, Nueces, Panola, Polk, Rains, Red River, Refugio, Robertson, Rusk, Sabine, San Jacinto, San Patricio, San Augustine, Shelby, Smith, Somervell, Titus, Travis, Trinity, Tyler, Upshur, Van Zandt, Victoria, Walker, Washington, Wharton, Williamson, Wilson, Wise, and Wood.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Texas450
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
I've seen ONE pump with a Cetane level listed, and that was in Cali, and it said 40. Colorado doesn't list it at all.

i drive all over any i have only noticed it once...and that was at a random hess express gas station in fla. and it was 40.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel Power Magazine did a test on cetane additives for PRE 2007 diesels and they determined there was an improvement here: Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine

I use a cetane booster and it boosted my mileage a bit as well.

Aquaman's post seems to bear out my feeling on Love's; I (along with a dozen other trucks) got a bad batch of fuel there one time and it wreaked havoc on my 6.4. I have been told repeatedly to stay away from truck stops due to their fuel quality.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Interesting 2addy that you have been told to not use truck stops. I have repeatly seen here to buy from retail outlets that have a high turnover. I tend to agree with you as I seem to have better performance from the less used retail outlets. My worst experience was Loves, I went into regen for over an hour. I was pulling my 5er, but what a bad batch. As soon as I got it to where I had used 15 gals or so, I filled again and used Diesel Kleen. It helped but it took several tanks and several weeks to work the problem out totally. I change filters on 2 occassions during that interval.
Best fuel lately, since this thread started, seems to be Chevron. It also has been the least expensive as diesel has been on the rise over the past 2 weeks.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
I also travel a lot with my 7.3 and use truck stops all the time with no problems, the worst mileage and it seems like less power is when I travel thru Illinois where I guest they use more additives in there fuel.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM
2addy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gearitis
Interesting 2addy that you have been told to not use truck stops. I have repeatly seen here to buy from retail outlets that have a high turnover. I tend to agree with you as I seem to have better performance from the less used retail outlets. My worst experience was Loves, I went into regen for over an hour. I was pulling my 5er, but what a bad batch. As soon as I got it to where I had used 15 gals or so, I filled again and used Diesel Kleen. It helped but it took several tanks and several weeks to work the problem out totally. I change filters on 2 occassions during that interval.
Best fuel lately, since this thread started, seems to be Chevron. It also has been the least expensive as diesel has been on the rise over the past 2 weeks.
This was in reference to 6.4's. My mechanic was referring to our injectors not liking low quality fuel and in Central Illinois, that tends to refer to truck stops. I can attest to that as my truck sat at a ford dealership for three weeks with it's cab off the frame while they replaced all eight fuel injectors and pretty much most of my fuel system. The 7.3's don't have the issue we have. The techs didn't know what caused the catastrophic melt down so they of course decided it was fuel related. So I now avoid the Williamsville, IL Loves truck stop. The cetane chart is great though because it gives you an idea of where to go. Using high volume retailers is ideal though because that means their fuel isn't sitting for a long time collecting water.

This is off the thread a bit but the dealership guys also said that they were seeing 7.3's coming in with fuel issues because of ULSD.

Last edited by 2addy; 10-15-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
I have yet to see a station that lists cetane ratings nor have I seen where they list whether the diesel is 1D or 2D... those would be good things to know! Why does everything have to be a mystery with diesel trucks!?!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
America, 2010! I filled up today at a BP. My previous station was giving me extraordinary lousy fuel mileage.

I have found a few stations that do show 45 cetane. VERY FEW.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

I was coming back from Texas Motorspeedway today and stopped at a Valero, as posted earlier, I do not get good performance from Valero, anyway they did have the Cetane posted at 48. It still felt as if the performance was off.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Running my first tank of Chevron and without additives... Hmmm...

Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM
socapots
Senior User
good topic for diesel newbs like me.
Thanks to all that posted.

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel differences by brand