Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Snow/Ice in air box......

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:58 PM
FDNY13
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove the beast 800 miles from New York to Chicago Sunday night into Monday. Thought I could outrun the northern fringe of the storm. (80 west through Pa. & Ohio.) Didn't happen. After 75 miles the snow started falling. About 400 miles and seven hours later the air filter light went on. Pulled off at the first rest area and found the filter gauge was pegged which triggered the light. The box was half filled with snow and there was a block of ice on the fender side of the box below the filter. The filter also was clogged with ice. Removed the ice and snow from the box, shook out the filter, put it on the cab floor next to the heater and caught some needed zzzz's. About an hour 1/2 later the filter was thawed out and dry, reinstalled it, reset the guage, and was back on the trail. Didn't see pavement again till past Toledo.

Thanks to the great wisdom shared on this site, I keep a spare fuel filter, CPS, and other basics with me. When I got to the windy city I picked up a spare air filter to add to the list.

The 600#'s of sand over the rear axle kept me pretty much glued to the snowpack and only needed 4WD to get around a fuel stop. The plows couldn't keep up with it. Got a consistent 19 mpg on the round trip and can't believe how much I love this truck over my previous ones......Hope this helps some that plan an extended snowy trip with the PSD...

Old 02-19-2003, 10:37 PM
CanadianPSD
New User

Joe - glad you made it through ok.

Just to mention that in the '03 manual Ford mentions the problem about flying snow clogging up the filter. It seems Ford has known about it for a while and haven't redesigned it yet!
Would be nice to be in the middle of nowhere and have that happen...

Fred

Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 AM
FDNY13
Junior User

Yea, gonna look into an intake mod and see if they might offer a different induction setup. Tymar seems to be a favorite here. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

I regularly encounter the lake effect snows when towing the sleds around the Lake Ontario region and hadn't experienced the problem to date...then again, the build-up may just not have been enough to trip the sensor and make me aware of it.

By the way, hope your enjoying the new ride and have good luck with it.....stopped in at the car show while in Chicago the other day drooling over the new ones. Ford had a great cut-away display of the new 6.0 which was pretty elaborate and was attracting alot of attention and discussion. Thought I was at an FTE support group meeting........

Old 02-20-2003, 08:53 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

I was driving the other direction in that storm coming east on I-80. My Tymar stayed dry (I checked it when I stopped). It is tucked behind the driver's side battery, so there was enough shielding to prevent ice/snow from getting on it. I felt a definate improvement in performance with the Tymar setup. I think any front-fed air intake system will have the same problem with snow and ice. The Tymar still takes in cold air forced in through the grill when you are moving, but it is not forced in directly to the intake.

I'm waiting for Joeboost to comment on how well the AFE does in snow since he seems to get tired of hearing about the Tymar. I'd be interested to know.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:10 PM
CanadianPSD
New User

I haven't got the truck yet. It was shipped from KTP yesterday the 19th..
So now I am relying on the combined mights of the US and Canadian railways to get it here asap..

I keep you posted.

Fred

Old 02-21-2003, 01:27 AM
JoeBoost
Elder User

JOHNSDIESEL - I don't see why you have a issue with me stating my opinion - i am allowed to voice my opinion on this site aren't I ???? Just seems as if someone asks a question about air intakes , people are so fast to scream tymar , when their are many other intakes available...This board is to help people with decisions , give them advice , etc...Does Tymar fund this site or something that I am not aware of ??

I actually havent had as issue as of yet with snow getting into my airbox with my AFE filter , because I actually placed a small cone filter over the front of the snorkel behind my grille, so nothing would make it into the airbox..I thought it was a good way to keep snow - and other small things from ever making their way into the airbox itself....I know a few people who have also done this to their trucks....

Old 02-21-2003, 12:30 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by JOEBOOST
JOHNSDIESEL - I don't see why you have a issue with me stating my opinion - i am allowed to voice my opinion on this site aren't I ???? Just seems as if someone asks a question about air intakes , people are so fast to scream tymar , when their are many other intakes available...This board is to help people with decisions , give them advice , etc...Does Tymar fund this site or something that I am not aware of ??
Lighten up, I was kidding. Actually AFE helps to fund this site as they are sold at the online store.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:42 PM
JoeBoost
Elder User

Originally posted by johnsdiesel
Lighten up, I was kidding. Actually AFE helps to fund this site as they are sold at the online store.
I am aware of this , becasue i bought my AFE unit from the online store....

Old 02-28-2003, 02:00 PM
diezelonly
New User

My air cleaner is home made. 4 inch x 45 degree exhaust elbow runs to a wix open air element filter. I call it the BRIMAR