1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is this proper duct tape application?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 AM
87notch
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May also require vise grips...

Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
texasguy
Junior User
Don't knock it......it's still holding, right? Once the owner finds a larger piece, I would attend to the rusted battery tray.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 AM
seizure66
Junior User
Well, I just got done shaving my arms, and am ready to go tackle the duct tape job. Got some hooked on the back my neck yesterday, pulled all the hair off one side, so I am not going to risk it today. Guess I will need to shave my neck on the other side, stinks cuz I was working on a wrap around neckhair/beard combination for the winter instead of using a scarf.....oh well.

Thanks for the tips, I may trim a piece of aluminum and criss cross duct tape it. Does have the electric pump on it. Not sure when this conversion may have happened.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
seizure66
Junior User
Originally Posted by 55 f350
don't forget too plug that fuel pump rod hole in the lifter valley in all seriousness !! my oil pressure took a huge nose dive when i first done it and forgot too put the one i made in !!!! scared the hades outta me , i thought my beloved had become terminally ill !!!!!!!!!!!!! and as was said there is no wrong application for duct tape .
will do thanks!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
old58
Junior User
Its obvious from the picture you are right handed... Given the tape placement and the tear direction, I'd say the placement is perfect, but you might want to throw on a dirty rag for a little added protection

Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM
seizure66
Junior User
Originally Posted by old58
Its obvious from the picture you are right handed... Given the tape placement and the tear direction, I'd say the placement is perfect, but you might want to throw on a dirty rag for a little added protection
This was a tape application from PO. I think it was pretty sweet til I came around and started pulling on it. Back in the day, when this was applied, they only used a simple application, starting from the bottom as I can tell, working upward, and then attaching the to top back side. Boy, to see the technology change. And now with more duct tape available, we just go all *****-nilly. I have an old hankey that will work perfect for the rag, good tip!

One more thing, is it best to wear latex gloves for the application? I know the adhesive can be a little noxious on skin......

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't "proper duct tape application" an oxymoronic phrase?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
texasguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by seizure66
This was a tape application from PO. I think it was pretty sweet til I came around and started pulling on it. Back in the day, when this was applied, they only used a simple application, starting from the bottom as I can tell, working upward, and then attaching the to top back side. Boy, to see the technology change. And now with more duct tape available, we just go all *****-nilly. I have an old hankey that will work perfect for the rag, good tip!

One more thing, is it best to wear latex gloves for the application? I know the adhesive can be a little noxious on skin......

I prefer to use my duct tape like I use my toilet paper......wrap, wrap, wrap.

after reading a few more suggestions, would a duct tape, mastic, scotch tape, great stuff, vice grips and dirty rag combo be overkill?

I saw a gentleman the other day driving down the road in a pouring rain, arm out the window and pulling his wiper back and forth using what appeared to be a nice piece of sturdy bailing wire. Any chance you have some of that laying around?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Duct tape, bailing wire,...... add binder twine to the list too. All handy in one way or another.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
A small roll of bailing wire and duct tape are standard in all the tool boxes that I carry in my trucks. I also keep a zip lock bag of assorted bolts and nuts.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:44 AM
seizure66
Junior User
I'm carrying penetrating oil and a note book and pencil right now. I got the wire and tape too.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no offense guy's but when bessie is running i got tools , bailing wire , duct tape , and coat hangers with me . you literally can limp one of these tough ol' birds home with all that and bubble gum . try that with a new car ......................since i carry it i have only needed it once , so no bull about my old flatty being undependable as it's been all over this area with no hitches other than a bad coil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wrapped a swelled up radiator haose on one of the dirt cars that split with the good 200 mph stuff and it held all season . i figured it wasn't leaking so why mess with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:36 PM
53 Effie
Senior User
Red Green says that smooth duct tape is the sign of a good craftsman.

Rick

Old 09-15-2010, 03:25 PM
seizure66
Junior User
So ya know, Sanford and Son plays daily on TV Land!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey seizure66, did you ever find out if that electric fuel pump works?

Quick Reply: Is this proper duct tape application?