1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Body work

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
You are a very sick individual! Just kidding AX!

Actually, what I meant by patience wasn't a reflection of frustration as much as a measure of the time it takes. If you are in a hurry, it'll make life difficult.

I was taught to do it by just tapping the hammer in little taps around in circles. Also, I was taught, everything MUST be hand filed and sanded. So it porbably takes me twice as long to do everything (and thus the patience).

But it's worth the results.
Yes, TAPPING with the hammer is correct. Grip the hammer LIGHTLY with the forefinger extended and pointing up the handle, we aren't pounding nails, but MASSAGING the metal back into place. Take out your agressions by PUSHING the dolly hard against the back of the dent, don't just hold it there, and use a sliding tap with the hammer face. Proper preparation of the hammers goes a long ways towards making bodywork easier, as with most tools they require "tuning", they don't come from the factory ready to use.

Hand filing and sanding is still the prefered method for finding the high/low spots and smoothing, but there is some technique involved to making it easier and more effective. A power panel and DA sander makes finishing bondo go a lot quicker but I still hand sand my final coat(s) of surfacer putty.
Once you learn the "secret" techniques bodywork goes pretty quickly.