Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM
New User

rekeenfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Paint on 2011 SD 6.2

Hey Gang,

As you may have noticed by my other posts, I am a bit of a detail freak w my trucks. After owning my '11 F-250 for two weeks now, I am somewhat upset at the poor quality of the factory paint job. I put a coat of wax on the truck after bringing it home, and it still didn't look the best. I have since used the clay bar system on it and then another coat of Meguiars Gold Class paste. MUCH better results, and it was unreal how much crap the clay pulled out of the paint. BTW, my truck also had a dent on the drivers side of the hood, up above the badging. Every other 250 on the dealers lot had at least one dent, some had one on each side. I know another member mentioned this, but I really wish Ford would wrap their vehicles like VW or others, as I am sure this paint damage and dents comes from trailering.

Anyway, still super happy with the truck, just curious if anyone else had paint issues.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Senior User

Mike in PA is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll give you my opinion on the Ford paint job in 6 - 8 weeks, rekeenfan. Never heard of the clay bar system. Looked it up and will have to give it a try.
I am around lots of car carriers and am not surprised at the way cars and trucks arrive. They should all have the shrink wrap on them.
Glad to hear you are super happy with your new rig.

Mike in PA
Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
New User

rekeenfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you try the clay bar, you will be impressed! Super-easy to use, and you really can't mess anything up unless you drop the clay on the ground. It's fun to use the system and see the difference. Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
New User

Noble1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine arrived with a paint flaw in the roof...a rust spot waiting to happen. Supposed the dearlership repaited the roof...still there, but as bad. It was about a 3mm and 1mm deep flaw. Still on satisfied...
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Senior User

devongarver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anyone noticed the orange peel effect on their new trucks? Mine is tuxedo black, and most people don't notice, but I noticed it the day after I brought it home(it was delivered to dealer at dusk and I didn't see it then). I am not happy about it, but I am 100% certain there isn't a damned thing I can do about it...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Senior User

claycomotrucks1991 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My F250 cc that I bought in August has a paint job that looks like the ones we built back in the 70's and 80's it sucks.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
if you think Ford trucks factory paint is bad go look at some chrsylers..

text book definition of orange peel... YIKEs.. looks like they paint em with a hoover vacum..

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Super Duty

fz1dave has much to be proud offz1dave has much to be proud offz1dave has much to be proud offz1dave has much to be proud offz1dave has much to be proud offz1dave has much to be proud offz1dave has much to be proud offz1dave has much to be proud of
If you want to avoid an orange peel paint job, don't buy a Ford. They all have it. Even the lone Shelby Mustang I saw recently at a dealer had it.

Every Ford or Mercury I've ever owned had it, some worse than others, but it's always there. And yes my new 250 has it too.

As far as damage to the paint, I have none so far. That really sucks that some guys have dents or imerfections. That would bug the crap out of me.

2011 F250 6.2L XLT Crew Cab 4x4, 3.73.
Golden Bronze Clearcoat Metallic
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
ARE Z Series Cap & BedRug
Audio upgrade
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Post Fiend

Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.
The Orange Peel must be popular because everybody is doing it. I've even seen new BMWs with orange peel all over, and yep, the Shelby at the local dealer is orange peeled too. I even had my Jeep repainted due to some rock chips in the hood, and $900 later, the shop perfectly matched the orange peel on the rest of it!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Freshman User

allen04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
new user also just took delivery of new 2011 F-350 cc 4x4 lariat 6.2 loaded forest green fifth wheel and gn prep spray in bed liner chrome pkg lariat interior pkg.camper pkg upfitter switches fx4 etc. And I was wondering if anyone has thought of getting the letters super duty painted the same color as the interior of the truck or maybe some decals for it . That is the letters on the tail gate. Don't really know if it would look alright or not. But I think I will get a guy I know that does pin striping and custom paint to do it for me.

Last edited by allen04; 10-30-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: failed to say it was for the tail gate.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Freshman User

tbh219 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would like to see some pics of this orange peel paint you guys are talking about. If these are brand new trucks, is there nothing that Ford will do about it. I sure hope that mine doesn't come in looking like that, especially after shelling out the $$$$$ that these things cost.
I feel for those of you that are having this paint problem. it really sucks.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Senior User

Mike in PA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen04 View Post
new user also just took delivery of new 2011 F-350 cc 4x4 lariat 6.2 loaded forest green fifth wheel and gn prep spray in bed liner chrome pkg lariat interior pkg.camper pkg upfitter switches fx4 etc. And I was wondering if anyone has thought of getting the letters super duty painted the same color as the interior of the truck or maybe some decals for it .
Good luck with the new rig Allen. I got the same color, wasn't
sure how it would look but we're very happy with
the way it turned out. There is enough super duty on mine,
the grill and the windshield, that's enough for me. Show some
pics if you can...

Mike in PA
Old 10-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Elder User

Ricohman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1dave View Post
If you want to avoid an orange peel paint job, don't buy a Ford. They all have it. Even the lone Shelby Mustang I saw recently at a dealer had it.

Every Ford or Mercury I've ever owned had it, some worse than others, but it's always there. And yes my new 250 has it too.

As far as damage to the paint, I have none so far. That really sucks that some guys have dents or imerfections. That would bug the crap out of me.
My new F350 has nice paint. No orange peel and its Oxford White.
But the tail gate hits the lower side of the box under the tail light when opened. So the paint is starting to come off. I will take this back as missing paint on a truck with 700 miles is bad news.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior User

claycomotrucks1991 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycomotrucks1991 View Post
My F250 cc that I bought in August has a paint job that looks like the ones we built back in the 70's and 80's it sucks.
Today the cheap plastic visor on the drivers side broke, not metal anymore but plastic connected to the headliner. Back to the dealer again.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Elder User

bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
... to think that a little while back someone posted they had a dent in the hood on an '11 and wanted to know if they should asked for a new hood or let the dealer fix it. A lot of people said to demand a new hood (thinking it would be already painted - which is wrong) from the factory because there is nothing like a factory paint job. They argued no body/paint shop could match the superior quality of the paint and finish from the factory.

Yet I find many people complaining about the quality of the finish on their new trucks, just like this thread. From what I see around my area, Dodge is the worst, and the finish on their chrome bumpers is very poor also.
XL Trim with Power Equip. Group, XL Decor & XL Plus
9x7 Reading Dump Body with Scissor Lift & Chelsea PTO
Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Tags
2011, 62, colors, dent, f250, factory, ford, hood, issues, orange, paint, peel, perfornance, problems, rockers, truck