6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SCT X3 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:30 AM
teppler
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT X3 question

I posted this question several days ago and did not get any feedback here it mgoes again:
Need info comments on the brake used in the Tow program. how does it brake, is it better than the braking in Tow/Haul etc....

Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 AM
jetact
Elder User
An added question as I just go the same tuner is when using the tow program do you still use the tow/haul?

Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by teppler
Need info comments on the brake used in the Tow program. how does it brake, is it better than the braking in Tow/Haul etc....

Are you refering to the Jake Brake option that some programmers have for their tow tunes? Also if this is what you are talking about, it also depends on who did the programming. If you are towing light loads, I might actually load in a mild street tune then someone's tow tune. Just depends.

Originally Posted by jetact
An added question as I just go the same tuner is when using the tow program do you still use the tow/haul?
It depends on what exactly are you doing when you towing. How much you are towing, the terrain that you are towing in.

Have to remember that in general tow tunes are really just low HP/TQ tunes in order to keep the engines vitals as cool as they can be while hauling loads. Depending on the tow tune depends on what loads you should or shouldn't try to get away with towing.

I would need to know more specifically in order to be any more specific in what I say.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by tex25025
Are you refering to the Jake Brake option that some programmers have for their tow tunes? Also if this is what you are talking about, it also depends on who did the programming. If you are towing light loads, I might actually load in a mild street tune then someone's tow tune. Just depends.

It depends on what exactly are you doing when you towing. How much you are towing, the terrain that you are towing in.

Have to remember that in general tow tunes are really just low HP/TQ tunes in order to keep the engines vitals as cool as they can be while hauling loads. Depending on the tow tune depends on what loads you should or shouldn't try to get away with towing.

I would need to know more specifically in order to be any more specific in what I say.

Thanks TEX.

I tow a 27ft enclosed interstate snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds over Mt Hood. Approx 4,000 feet is the pass level. We are at vitually sea level starting out. I have tunes from Eric at Innovative. His regualr ones that he sends with new tuners I believe (economy, tow and street) Thinking about getting the extreme street from him as I am just putting studs in, but that is a different subject. Thanks for the help

Old 09-11-2010, 11:19 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Thanks TEX.

I tow a 27ft enclosed interstate snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds over Mt Hood. Approx 4,000 feet is the pass level. We are at vitually sea level starting out. I have tunes from Eric at Innovative. His regualr ones that he sends with new tuners I believe (economy, tow and street) Thinking about getting the extreme street from him as I am just putting studs in, but that is a different subject. Thanks for the help
I would still use Tow/Haul. Tow/Haul just helps stay in the RPM range longer when towing. Plus you have the added plus of the "engine braking". Now if you have a tow tune with the Jake Brake option, the braking of the turbo can be quite aggressive and really needs to be used with the heavier loads. When Evan Foster was tuning for Matt(at Spartan), he would suggest using his tunes with the Jake Brake if you were hauling around 9k-11k. It would have been too aggressive to use it for lighter loads. I did and would still advocate using Tow/Haul mode even if your Tow tune had the Jake Brake option as long as you were hauling loads that even warrantied the Jake Brake program to be on the tow tune.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:36 AM
teppler
Elder User
Okay here are my specs:
GVWR 15,900 35-1/2' 5th wheel
Have pulled it thru some very steep mtns and Tow/Haul is inadequate, I am experienced at pulling and am not afraid of a runaway but would like to have the added ability to engage a Jake style brake for addiional control if available.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
jetact
Elder User
Thanks tex,

Yes I think I am only towing just over 5,000 lbs. So just run the tow/haul, no reason to run the tune as its not needed. How do you get a jake brake if you dont have the set up on your engine. We run them on all of our big rigs. I have just started trying an exhaust brake on a few of out smaller trucks that haul some weight in town. They seem to work well.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:04 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by teppler
Okay here are my specs:
GVWR 15,900 35-1/2' 5th wheel
Have pulled it thru some very steep mtns and Tow/Haul is inadequate, I am experienced at pulling and am not afraid of a runaway but would like to have the added ability to engage a Jake style brake for addiional control if available.
Most any time I pull over 8k I put a tow tune with a turbo brake.The truck I tow with is the 350 with a standard so I have no idea how well the tow haul works when loaded.The turbo brake is a god sent when heading down long 6+% grades,it wont slow you much at highway speed but will help hold your speed and keep your foot off the brake.At the 16k you are pulling I would put a turbo brake in the tune in a heartbeat it will help you keep you off the brake pedal.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Thanks tex,

Yes I think I am only towing just over 5,000 lbs. So just run the tow/haul, no reason to run the tune as its not needed. How do you get a jake brake if you dont have the set up on your engine. We run them on all of our big rigs. I have just started trying an exhaust brake on a few of out smaller trucks that haul some weight in town. They seem to work well.
Turbo braking is what is referred to by some tuners as a "jake brake" on the tow tune. It isn't really the physical jake brake, but it programs the turbo to act along the lines of a "Jake Brake"

To the OP, I agree with Brickie in that I would run that tune, however, I would also run the Tow/Haul as well as that also helps with keeping your RPMs in the range that is best for towing.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
jetact
Elder User
Thanks you guys. Great information and help. I should have my truck back the first of the week and I cant wait.