6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 block heater cord routing and location lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I deceided to put a cord on my truck, I routed the cord and connected it to the block heater, problem is how it he world do you tighten the nut to secure the cord to the block heater? I did get a couple of threads with my fingers but there is just no room for a wrench, or even a mexican socket set.

Even thought I live in Texas, we will be traveling to Kansas City for a week or so in the Kansas City area. Used to live there, in 2008, just before Christmas, it was a high of 15 below zero, not windchill, actual temp, so it can be dastardly there. So for a little insurance, I thought it might make it a little easier on the engine, and for a $20 investment.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Scott!

My chord came with a smashed up plug - so much so that the cap doesn't fit anymore and the pins are loose. Not sure how it happened, but I brought it to the dealers attention a couple weeks after I got the truck once I found it and they told me they would not replace the chord and that it was "a major repair since it is connected to the engine block". Liars.. Anyway, good to know its pretty easy to do.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Thanks for the write-up Scott!

My chord came with a smashed up plug - so much so that the cap doesn't fit anymore and the pins are loose. Not sure how it happened, but I brought it to the dealers attention a couple weeks after I got the truck once I found it and they told me they would not replace the chord and that it was "a major repair since it is connected to the engine block". Liars.. Anyway, good to know its pretty easy to do.

Sounds like they need to go to school then. Sad, a simple cord.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Neil64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cord

Senix, thanks for the pics. They will come in handy real soon.

I just bought a Zero Start 3600008 cord for $18.00 at Tommy's Truck Parts in Waldorf, MD. Ford wanted $75.00 for it. The only difference I've heard is the Ford version comes with the wire loom.

Now I have to buy some wire loom and wire ties. Does anyone know if there are any heat resistant wire ties made and where they can be bought?

The install does not look like fun.

Thanks...

Neil

Old 10-31-2010, 05:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
don't know if there are any AF wire ties or not.

I is a bear to route that cord correctly.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Scott,

I took some time this weekend to search to see if I have the cord or not on my F250, but I just can't seem to find anything. I guess I need to order the cord from Ed now, and let you install it for me.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Glockem45
Scott,

I took some time this weekend to search to see if I have the cord or not on my F250, but I just can't seem to find anything. I guess I need to order the cord from Ed now, and let you install it for me.
Sure..why not

If you looked on the passenger side, inside the front bumper and didn't see a cord there then you will need to order.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM
FSTBLL42
Cross-Country

Hey I am new to the Forum but have been reading it for years. Thank you for such great info. I recently bought a 2008 F350 King Ranch. I have found the plug that is just inside the bumper next to the front tow hooks. If I plug it into the house or to a Timer is that all that I need? Again pretty new and not sure that I would ever really have to use it just would like to know just in case I do need it. Thank you
Travis

Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FSTBLL42

Hey I am new to the Forum but have been reading it for years. Thank you for such great info. I recently bought a 2008 F350 King Ranch. I have found the plug that is just inside the bumper next to the front tow hooks. If I plug it into the house or to a Timer is that all that I need? Again pretty new and not sure that I would ever really have to use it just would like to know just in case I do need it. Thank you
Travis

That is all you need to do, just plug it in.

Don't forget it though when you get ready to leave in the morning.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 PM
rblaine9000
Senior User
pics

yea so far I cannot make heads or tails of the pics in this right up. I cannot find my plug or evidence of its location without crawling aroung under the truck. why couldnt this be easier? anyhow was wondering if someone could post some pics with more depth and maybe some arrows or something??? ya know for dummies!lol thanks in advance!!!! COLD ON THE WAY~

Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by rblaine9000
yea so far I cannot make heads or tails of the pics in this right up. I cannot find my plug or evidence of its location without crawling aroung under the truck. why couldnt this be easier? anyhow was wondering if someone could post some pics with more depth and maybe some arrows or something??? ya know for dummies!lol thanks in advance!!!! COLD ON THE WAY~
Start by looking at the inside of the front bumper on the passenger side. Just down by the headlight area or tow hook area. Is there a cord there with a standard plug for a 110V outlet?

If not then you need the cord.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed mine today in 18 minutes at night without a lift in my driveway. Only tool was a long screwdriver. I started by sliding head first on my back under the passenger side door just behind the front wheel. Found the frame and used a flashlight placed 3-4 feet towards the rear shining up by the starter. Since it was 80 degrees here today, I still had condensation dripping from my AC condenser off the frame Right by my head. (May help for reference). The starter also has a heavy gauge red cable coming off. Just above the starter (easiest to see by sitting 2 feet behind the front wheel looking up towards the engine inside of the frame rail) is a circular opening with two prongs inside. That's the block heater already installed in the block. To maneuver the cord up there, I slid my right arm up around the frame rail through the wheel well. I was able to get 2-3 fingers far enough to reach the heater coil. My left hand went straight up around the starter to maneuver the cord in place. I then used the screwdriver in my left hand to gently push the plug into place. Once snug, maneuver the nut over the rubber plug and turn using 2 finger in each hand about a 1/4 turn each time.

Can't really explain how I routed the male plug back to the bumper, but just make sure you stay away from any moving parts as well as hot ones.

I hope this helps those who are getting ready to do this.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:56 AM
rblaine9000
Senior User
Much more info. Thanks guys!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Thanks for the pics, I've been looking for that dang thing forever. I kept looking for a 2 or 3 prong plug, I didn't know there was a cover on it.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Gearitis
I deceided to put a cord on my truck, I routed the cord and connected it to the block heater, problem is how it he world do you tighten the nut to secure the cord to the block heater? ...
I used a 4 1/2" pair of Channelocks on the front side of the
Nut. I could only turn it a small amount then flip the
Channelocks over for a little more turn. Then repeat.

Quick Reply: 6.4 block heater cord routing and location lots of pics