1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Fuse Panel Diagram for 1989 E-250

Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
glenntwo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse Panel Diagram for 1989 E-250

Has anyone a fuse panel diagram for a 1989 E-250? Can't seem to find one anywhere on the interthingies. I need to find out a couple of things.

1. Which unused fuse slots are ignition-controlled? I am installing an extra power socket pigtail for my satellite radio so I don't have to use the one on the dash. The OEM lighter is always hot, and I am worried about the battery running down if I forget to switch off the XM radio, so if figure tying into something ignition-controlled is the best way to go.

Another reason I am doing this is because I have just discovered that when I turn on my headlights, it shuts off power to the lighter, which of course shuts off the XM. I suspect that the wire from the lighter to the wire is misplaced in the panel, but without a panel diagram, it's kind of hard to find out.

3. Also, I have blown two stop light fuses in the last three months. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for when it happens. I now check my stop light fuse every day before I drive, which is a PITA of course. I figure these two things might be tied together somehow, so I need to get my hands o a diagram and see if all the wires are going where they are supposed to. I have a Haynes manual here, but it gives me about ten words on the subject, and zero diagrams. Not very helpful.

Anyone with a diagram or some info they could pass along would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by glenntwo; 09-10-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
You might want to search eBay under the Manuals & Literature category in eBay Motors----look for a new or gently used factory Wiring Diagrams booklet---typically $10 or so. I see them there all the time, have purchased several for my various Ford vans and they're invaluable.

I'm kinda surprised something like this isn't available online somewhere----makes me glad I have my own reference works!

HTH

Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
glenntwo
Junior User
Originally Posted by JWA
You might want to search eBay under the Manuals & Literature category in eBay Motors----look for a new or gently used factory Wiring Diagrams booklet---typically $10 or so. I see them there all the time, have purchased several for my various Ford vans and they're invaluable.

I'm kinda surprised something like this isn't available online somewhere----makes me glad I have my own reference works!

HTH
Great idea. I'll check Amazon and Ebay first chance.
This thing with the lighter losing power really has me mystified. I've had the vehicle for over a year now, and this is the first time I noticed it. I have never had to use the lighter socket before. Any idea why this might happen? bad ground maybe?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
glenntwo
Junior User
Update

I searched around on the forums and found a diagram for the fuse panel, figuring that the lighter power line might be hooked into the headlamp by mistake. Of course there is no fuse slot for the headlamp, so I was stuck there.

So, I started fooling around pulling each fuse and checking to see if it corresponded to whatever the diagram said about that slot. I would turn on whatever was controlled by that fuse, pull the fuse, and if the corresponding accessory went out I assumed it was in the correct spot and put it back in.

When I got to fuse #4, which is for the Warning Buzzer/Chime Module, Ext. Lamps, Inst. Illumination, Trailer Lamps Relay, I pulled the fuse and of course my running lights went out, but then something weird happened: The sat radio started working again. Plugged the fuse back in, lights went back on, and the radio shut off again.

I started playing with the Headlamp switch and also discovered that when I turn it to the "dome" position, all dash lights would go out.

I'm thinking it is one of several things:

1. The Chime/Lamps/Instrument/Trailer relay is bad. Nothing in my Haynes manual tells me where it's at, so if anyone knows, please let me know. I suspect it is somewhere behind the instrument cluster, but cannot be sure.

2. A bad wire or a bad ground in one of the running lights. I visually inspected all the seals around my running lights, and there doesn't look like there are any corrosion-causing leaks around any of them, but I won't know more until i take each and every assy apart and clean and re-seal them.

3. And this should probably be #1, but I'm wondering if the power line from the lighter was tied in with the chime/lamps/etc. relay either by mistake or on purpose, for who knows what reason. I need to get a factory manual for that one.

4. I do have a trailer hitch kit that I never use and the plug is exposed to the elements. I think the manual has a wiring diagram for that, but have yet to check. I'm wondering if corrosion has gotten into the plug and is shorting things somehow.

I don't use the lighter for anything, but the sat radio, and nothing else seems to be harmed by this, except for the dome light/instrument light problem. I would probably have never even noticed until I bought and installed the radio. But It's kind of a PITA, especially since I drive mostly at night. I thought about getting another lighter socket and just wiring it directly to another hot line, but that's probably not the answer either.

Has anyone seen something like this before? I have to figure it is that relay, but I can't be sure until I locate and replace it, so if you know where it's at, by all means msg. me.

I really can't think of anything else, so if anyone has any ideas or input I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Too many things "wrong" happening so anything offered here would be pure speculation and possibly not at all helpful.

Haynes etc manuals are not that useful for what you're encountering---at best they have generic topics that rarely cover anything so specificially its helpful. Here's a link specific to your van:

1989 Ford Econoline and Club Wagon Electrical Manual: eBay Motors (item 400144715757 end time Sep-15-10 12:37:01 PDT)

Or this one--cheaper, same thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-FORD-ECONOLINE-VAN-ELECTRICAL-SERVICE-SHOP-MANUAL-/380229718423?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=ite m5887751197

Its priced a bit higher than I've ever paid but I did only a quick search. You typically won't find a factory manual like this on Amazon---just more Haynes and Mitchell Manuals etc.

This is what you need to get started---everything else is just guessing!!

HTH

Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
glenntwo
Junior User
Update #2

OK there have been a few changes since this afternoon.

I popped in a new headlamp switch and there was some improvement. Now, when I turn on the headlights, the radio shuts off, then after about three seconds, turns back on again for three seconds, goes off for three, then on for three, and so on. It's now an intermittent thing. Apparently I have a short somewhere.

Also, the dash lights now stay on when I switch to the dome light position, so apparently that switch was bad, but I still can't figure out the connection with the lighter. I am going to change the lighter pigtail either tomorrow or the next day and see what happens. If the lighter is shorted out then that should fix the problem. If not, it's off to the races chasing wires.

Thanks for the info on the manuals JWA. Going to order one in the next day or so, soon as I figure out where to mail it to. I am working about 2000 miles from home, so sending it there is useless. It's just another complication.