2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 to 4.6 engine swap possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM
FlyByNight
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumper477
Good idea on the head swap.I will have to do some resesrch on that to see if it is possible.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
A sales job if I ever heard one before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1500-3000 doesn't seem too terrible to replace the engine to me? Ive got a lot of miles on my 5.4 and its great (but you've heard enough in the 5.4's defense) The real thing that you need to consider is just HOW bad the price is for the replacement engine, how much money are you really saving with a 4.6? how much of that money will go towards misc parts for the swap? is it worth saving the money for all the extra time and effort of swapping a different engine?

You sound like the kind of person who knows his stuff and would maintain whatever new engine you chose for your truck. I think it would be easiest to go with another 5.4 and just keep up on the regular maintence and you should have no problem getting over 200k+ miles out of your new engine. start fresh

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
thumper477
Junior User
Well,the more I think about it,keeping the 5.4 is probably the best way to go.If it was 20 years ago and there was'nt so intermingling of engine control systems with EVERY other system in the truck,I would consider swapping in a different engine.I am just fearful that even after I might spend countless hours researching every possible problem with the swap,something will show up AFTER the swap is done to throw a monkey wrench into the equation.Especially since I might be the first person to consider the swap or actually do one.It is bad enough to do this job once let alone finding out in the end that the 4.6 will not work and then having to do it over again with a 5.4.I guess a quality reman with a good warranty might be the best way to go in the long run.Thanks for all the input and suggestions from all of you on this forum.I will update as the job progresses.Has anyone here had any experience with the installation of a reman 5.4? 3v engine?I have heard that there have been some problems.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't rule out Ford's remanufactured engines, either. They are competitive with Jasper and the reputable builders out there. But I would go with a long block either way. Good luck on the outcome whichever way you go. I've always wondered how difficult stuffing a 460 in there would be. I'm sure it would be a electronic nightmare.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how a used 5.4 3v is more expensive than a used 4.6 2v with all of the goodies for a swap.

just rebuild your current block. machine it .010 to .020 over, get new pistons and new bearings. you should be able to re-use alot of the OEM parts. Even replacing most everything but the block and heads, you can rebuild a motor for under $1,000.

The 5.4 3v is hardly a hand grenade. It's a solid motor that has been around for a long time with a proven track record. It does have oiling issues with the cam phasers, which is why you need the oil filter with anti-drainback. Otherwise, the 5.4 3v is rock solid. I think you are confusing an abuse issue with a reliability issue. And you are only flaming the fire by listening to sales reps who are pushing a product

Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Will Trepanier
New User
doing a 5.4 to 4.6 swap did u complete it? im doing it myself.any advice?

Originally Posted by thumper477
Well,the more I think about it,keeping the 5.4 is probably the best way to go.If it was 20 years ago and there was'nt so intermingling of engine control systems with EVERY other system in the truck,I would consider swapping in a different engine.I am just fearful that even after I might spend countless hours researching every possible problem with the swap,something will show up AFTER the swap is done to throw a monkey wrench into the equation.Especially since I might be the first person to consider the swap or actually do one.It is bad enough to do this job once let alone finding out in the end that the 4.6 will not work and then having to do it over again with a 5.4.I guess a quality reman with a good warranty might be the best way to go in the long run.Thanks for all the input and suggestions from all of you on this forum.I will update as the job progresses.Has anyone here had any experience with the installation of a reman 5.4? 3v engine?I have heard that there have been some problems.
I'm going to do a 5.4 to 4.6 engine swap. I have an f250 with a 5.4 that seized up. My other truck has a blown tranny but a real strong running 4.6 in an f150.so I want to swap the 5.4 out for the 4.6,did you do this and were you sucsessful

Old 12-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Will Trepanier
New User
doing a 5.4 to 4.6 swap did u complete it? im doing it myself.any advice?

I'm going to do a 5.4 to 4.6 engine swap. I have an f250 with a 5.4 that seized up. My other truck has a blown tranny but a real strong running 4.6 in an f150.so I want to swap the 5.4 out for the 4.6,did you do this and were you successful in doing this? I want to do it soon so any advice would be greatful.or am I waisting my time cause it won't work? I'm hopeful it will as I love my 250. Please email me with any advice you can give to William.trepanier@gmail.com

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I recall from reading other threads going/swapping from 4.6 up to 5.4;

Torque converter has to be changed to match the engine, issues relating to the 2V vs 3V computers (beyond my ken).

Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Alex2546
New User
HEY 60DRB. To do the swap from a 5.4 to a 4.6. I have the 4.6 in the truck also junkyard computers for the 4.6 I've tried multiple ECM's but the truck will not start. It turns over. It has spark. It also has fuel pressure. The timing is good because this 4.6 came from a 1999 year truck and it has 30,xxx miles I know this because the gauge cluster has that mileage on it and so does the transmission that came with the motor. but it plainly wont start.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 PM
3Prcntr
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex2546
HEY 60DRB. To do the swap from a 5.4 to a 4.6. I have the 4.6 in the truck also junkyard computers for the 4.6 I've tried multiple ECM's but the truck will not start. It turns over. It has spark. It also has fuel pressure. The timing is good because this 4.6 came from a 1999 year truck and it has 30,xxx miles I know this because the gauge cluster has that mileage on it and so does the transmission that came with the motor. but it plainly wont start.
Why did you use an older engine? Did the one you swap with have a 2v to begin with?

Old 11-05-2020, 06:38 PM
ArmyNavy Guy
New User
How Funny These Posts Are

Originally Posted by rick99601
there is NOTHING wrong with the design of the 3v that causes catastrophic engine damage.

you bought a truck at an auction that someone beat and are pretty much blaming ford.

just the other day i heard of a 3v 5.4 going 35k miles on factory oil before failing.

yes it can be done. watch out for 4.6's with higher mileage, the timing chain tensioners go bad.

I these guys who are out right defending the most garbage Motor Ford possibly has ever built 5.4 3 valve really feel like douchebags now. Enough time has passed for anyone with any type of experience with these motors to know that they are the biggest piece of junk and funny because different members on this thread actually stating prophetically the problems with oil flow on the top end of this motor and the timing components prematurely failing because of lack of knowledge of these design flaws early in the game. Sure maybe running the motorcraft oil filter with the anti flow Design and keeping the proper oil viscosity changed regularly May prevent abnormal sludge buildup that destroys the majority of these engines but I've owned three of them now and had enough experience with them including running 15w 40 Rotella just to keep the damn thing in time to tell you these motors suck. The used market for these motors is astronomical because the demand of them is so high from continual catastrophic explosions all the way across the country. Let's not even get started on the two piece spark plug design that To This Day in 2020 I'm still seeing original spark plugs in those Motors. The Opie of this thread hit the nail on the head and was dead nuts on accurate about these piece of **** engines and what caused his to self-destruct. The motor was a great concept and the two valve virgin is a great engine but unless you enjoy getting bent over without Vaseline and rammed with a walnut twig run as far away from these motors as possible. Just my two cents in 15 years of owning three of these including a brand new one in 2005 that took a shet at 42000 miles. Not really into subscribing applying and replying to these types of threads but just had to laugh at this one. What a piece of junk!

Old 11-05-2020, 09:09 PM
3Prcntr
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyNavy Guy
I these guys who are out right defending the most garbage Motor Ford possibly has ever built 5.4 3 valve really feel like douchebags now. Enough time has passed for anyone with any type of experience with these motors to know that they are the biggest piece of junk and funny because different members on this thread actually stating prophetically the problems with oil flow on the top end of this motor and the timing components prematurely failing because of lack of knowledge of these design flaws early in the game. Sure maybe running the motorcraft oil filter with the anti flow Design and keeping the proper oil viscosity changed regularly May prevent abnormal sludge buildup that destroys the majority of these engines but I've owned three of them now and had enough experience with them including running 15w 40 Rotella just to keep the damn thing in time to tell you these motors suck. The used market for these motors is astronomical because the demand of them is so high from continual catastrophic explosions all the way across the country. Let's not even get started on the two piece spark plug design that To This Day in 2020 I'm still seeing original spark plugs in those Motors. The Opie of this thread hit the nail on the head and was dead nuts on accurate about these piece of **** engines and what caused his to self-destruct. The motor was a great concept and the two valve virgin is a great engine but unless you enjoy getting bent over without Vaseline and rammed with a walnut twig run as far away from these motors as possible. Just my two cents in 15 years of owning three of these including a brand new one in 2005 that took a shet at 42000 miles. Not really into subscribing applying and replying to these types of threads but just had to laugh at this one. What a piece of junk!

You are replying to a 10 year old post on a 10 year old thread.

If you didn't learn your lesson buying a new one then why did you buy 2 more? lol. Sorry man, you sound salty and quite frankly - full of ****. Bye!

Old 11-05-2020, 11:14 PM
ArmyNavy Guy
New User
If the shoe fits...

Originally Posted by 3Prcntr
You are replying to a 10 year old post on a 10 year old thread.

If you didn't learn your lesson buying a new one then why did you buy 2 more? lol. Sorry man, you sound salty and quite frankly - full of ****. Bye!
you must be one of them ...since my first three sentences clearly described and acknowledge the age of this thread....maybe I was given the 2nd and 3rd? funny how my amusement and description of is perceived as being salty.. anyone with half a brain would understand I was mocking the genius Ford experts making unfounded claims an incorrect opinions.. you must really love your 3 valve hand grenade!!!

Old 11-06-2020, 06:10 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Nothing productive being added here. No reason to keep this thread open.