Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Costco Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 PM
GeorgeZ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batteries-Plus Rayovac?

My OEM batteries hit the record in my batteries longevity. I bought 1999 F350 PSD new truck in January of 1999 and still have the original batteries, but, they are getting weaker and don’t hold charge as they used to. I am confident that they could easily reach full 11 years life but I prefer not to get stuck somewhere. This post is very helpful and I am leaning towards getting Costco batteries. For many years I had good experience with Costco’s batteries. Yesterday, I was getting motorcycle battery from Batteries-Plus and asked about their option for my pick-up. Their recommendation was Rayovac Maximum (claimed that is made by Deka) with 880 CCA. Their price is about $150 for 2 batteries after double rebates. Replacement warranty is 18 months. Rayovac site does not list any automotive batteries, Rayovac automotive batteries are only listed on Batteries-Plus site. Is there any experience with this battery?<o</o>
George.<o</o>
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/33904-SLI65M-Rayovac-Maximum-Battery/560-SLI/4299-Car-and-Truck-Batteries/95772-Ford/F--350-Pickup/1997-to-2003-V8-7-dot3L-750CCA-Diesel.aspx<o</o>

Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Replaced my original Motorcraft batteries last summer with the Costco/Kirklands and couldn't be happier!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 PM
PWRPROD
Senior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I have been touting Motorcraft batteries here for years. The truck came with a replacement set of Motorcrafts, and were lasting and lasting. Six-plus years so far.

Recently, I've been aware that the reserve capacity of mine was dwindling due to sulphation, so I've been doing some research into replacements. We're off on a road trip to Oregon at the end of the month, and I sure don't need that kind of trouble on the road!

Local stealer wants $119.95 each for the 850CCA's that ours need.

Costco has a Group 65, 850CCA battery for $75.99. Hmmm, think I at least ought give it a look, as the on-line reviews have it top-rated, especially considering their absolute no-hassle three-year money-back guarantee.

Grab a shopping cart and remove my driver's side and take it into the tire shop. Roll over to the battery rack and pull down one of their finest #4's to do a comparison. Looks pretty close! I can always just go re-install mine if it's not the same.

Hauled it over to the counter to take a closer look. The guy says, "Johnson Controls". Set them side-by-side on the counter and both of us look REAL carefully. Plastic parts are all from the same mold. Period! They are identical! Even the subtle parting lines on the carrying straps. Even faint, hardly noticeable stuff is identical. Though we didn't have a scale, they felt like they weighed the same, too.

The only part that is different is the sticker! Though in the same place, it shows different brand names.

I am now convinced that they ARE identical, capacity-wise as well, so I bought one and took it out to install it.

The guys in the store allowed me to use my DVM on their selection to find two that were exactly matched, and I repeated the entire exercise a few minutes later for the other side.

Bottom line is: Costco saved me about $90 today, and I'm FIRMLY convinced that I have exactly the same batteries I would have gotten at Ford.

I'm open to a critique on this, but you better come armed with more than hearsay. Like you better personally work at the Johnson Controls factory where both these batteries are made, and you probably ought to have photos of the differences. Knowing Costco's reputation of not cutting any corners on their house-branded stuff, I suspect they don't allow any less lead to be used in the ones vended to them.

Discussion?

Pop
jOHNSON is one of the last actual mfg of batteries their premier brand is Interstate. They have been #1 for years. As to the batteries being exactly the same, probably not. There are to many variables. A 5 year batt has more lead in the plates and a few more plates per cell. The three year unit has less lead but probably the same number of plates to get the CCA where it is needed. However as you said Costco has a good battery. They use the same cases because that is about the least expensive part of the Batt. and one size fits all in a given capacity range. They don't want to cary more of them than they have to. Remember one gets what one pays for most of the time. Johnson has a good rep for their products and back ing them up. Next door they make the controls for your stove and oven.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRPROD
jOHNSON is one of the last actual mfg of batteries their premier brand is Interstate. They have been #1 for years. As to the batteries being exactly the same, probably not. There are to many variables. A 5 year batt has more lead in the plates and a few more plates per cell. The three year unit has less lead but probably the same number of plates to get the CCA where it is needed. However as you said Costco has a good battery. They use the same cases because that is about the least expensive part of the Batt. and one size fits all in a given capacity range. They don't want to cary more of them than they have to. Remember one gets what one pays for most of the time. Johnson has a good rep for their products and back ing them up. Next door they make the controls for your stove and oven.
Can I assume you work for Johnson Controls, and have something to actually show us?

Pop

Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 AM
PWRPROD
Senior User
COSTCO BATTERIES

No I don't work for them but I met and did business with the founder. I visited C. Johnsons home in Monticito CA. and tured his live steam locomotive machiene shop where he and others built and assembeled scale model trains. There was a mile or two of track on the property as well. He was also an avid Ham radio operator which was our connection. My knowledge of batteries comes from the military, self study and ham radio. I have also turned my share of wrenches for a living. Cemore passed over 15 years ago but the company lives on. He was a perfectionest with a practical side. A very interesting gentalman.

PWRPROD

Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

No I don't work for them but I met and did business with the founder. I visited C. Johnsons home in Monticito CA. and tured his live steam locomotive machiene shop where he and others built and assembeled scale model trains. There was a mile or two of track on the property as well. He was also an avid Ham radio operator which was our connection. My knowledge of batteries comes from the military, self study and ham radio. I have also turned my share of wrenches for a living. Cemore passed over 15 years ago but the company lives on. He was a perfectionest with a practical side. A very interesting gentalman.

PWRPROD
Cemore Johnson? Are you referring to Seymour F. Johnson, who owned the Goleta Valley Western R.R., AKA the Montecito & Pacific Railroad? He supposedly was the grandson of Warren S. Johnson.

According to the Johnson Controls website's History page, Warren Johnson started the company 125 years ago, so I suspect the founder has indeed passed, but a few years earlier than you suggest.

In my original post I suggested that refutation should best not come from hearsay evidence.

Pop

Old 12-16-2010, 03:05 AM
PWRPROD
Senior User
Correction CEO and pardon the spelling. Yes that is the place and the man. As to hearsay what I said is not. Hard facts from a lifetime of experience. The variences may be small and I am not disputing that costco may indeed sell a unit that is the same as the other name brands. However one does need a little more than a vom to tell the differences. Sears does the same thing. They spec their batteries to their own formula as do many other brands. It is very easy to stick on a label. Service and replacement is a calculated risk in the retail world. If you purchase a 5 year batt and it dies at 4 years 9 months and the price was $10 less than the top of the line battery might you not buy another one? Conversly if that same batt dies in 3 years and there is no replacement even I know what you won't buy again. However the store and manufacture have your money at least once. The local ham radio club was the recipiant of Seymors station.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran Interstate batteries for years. I found them to be very good, but pricey. I have had good luck with Costco and Deka batteries. I have not had good luck with NAPA batteries. I feel that the best quality+performance/price battery is Costco.

Just my first-had experience.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Correction CEO and pardon the spelling. Yes that is the place and the man. As to hearsay what I said is not. Hard facts from a lifetime of experience. The variences may be small and I am not disputing that costco may indeed sell a unit that is the same as the other name brands. However one does need a little more than a vom to tell the differences. Sears does the same thing. They spec their batteries to their own formula as do many other brands. It is very easy to stick on a label. Service and replacement is a calculated risk in the retail world. If you purchase a 5 year batt and it dies at 4 years 9 months and the price was $10 less than the top of the line battery might you not buy another one? Conversly if that same batt dies in 3 years and there is no replacement even I know what you won't buy again. However the store and manufacture have your money at least once. The local ham radio club was the recipiant of Seymors station.
While what you say is generally true, it is rhetoric within this conversation.

In my original contention that these batteries are identical, my only regret is that I failed to accurately weigh them at the time, thus determining the lead content. Thus, I cannot disprove your assertion that merely identical battery cases were used.

It would have served to further my position if I had not merely carefully guesstimated them to weigh the same. But, oh well....

I did not, however, imply that my use of a VOM in any way equated these old and new, just that I wished to find two new ones that were at an identical state of charge with which to begin their life in my truck.

Pop

Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

I got in this thread late, however I did a side by side comparison of Interstate Megatron and the OEM battery. The bottom plastic housings where identical as well. Pretty sure JC makes Interstates

Old 12-16-2010, 06:11 PM
PWRPROD
Senior User
BATTERIES

You are correct in your assumption. JC has been making Interstate for years. Their cataloge of styles and types is the most extensive I have seen. We have used their larger deep cycle types for emergency communications equipment for a long time. There are some other types now that are better suited to what we do (lithium ion) and I think JC is doing that too. Used to be only the military or NASA could get that stuff, now just bring lots of cash. PWRPROD

Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Johnson Controls makes a lot of Interstate's batteries, but by no means ALL.

Interstate has their products vended to them by a few manufacturers, even though they call themselves "the manufacturer".

Pop

Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 AM
cajun81
Junior User
Yesterday the wife went out to go to work and err err click. So I put the batts on charge dropped her off at work and off to work I go. I read pops battery post the other day so I did a quick search to get a little more info. Started calling and looking around for new batts just in case when I get home I get the same result as thismorning.2 Costco batts plus $50 membership still cheaper than the stealership wm and advanced. 8 hours later… went to turn it over and got a err err err err click two more than this morning not bad but not good enough so off to Costco. Installed new batts last night fired right up. This morning it lit off in what seemed like two revolutions. I likeJ. What I don’t like is that every time I read something on here I think my truck has it or needs it.
It’s like I am an ftechondriac.

99F250 stock kinda

Old 12-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Marv. I just started a battery test. My original ( Motercraft ) batteries lasted 8 years and 4 months. I just got 2 new ones from Costco this week. I will report back in 8 years or when they fail. haha

Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Bob,

I believe the secret to longevity is to prevent sulphation as well as possible, thereby preserving reserve capacity.

Sulphation is accelerated when the charge state gets below about 75%, so I'm thinking about a battery tender of some kind to keep them fully charged. Plugging it in every evening would get to be a habit, the same as any other.

Manually controlling my GPR, too, might help. It's not like I need GPs much here in SoCal. I completely ignore the WTS light, and start it like a gasser every time, as it is.

Eight years is exceptional battery life, meaning your charging system must be very-well "in-tune" with your batteries and your driving habits. Obviously you service them, keeping them clean and full.

Here's something you might be interested in reading:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...d_acid_battery
I have it bookmarked, and review it once-in-a-while.

Pop

Quick Reply: Costco Batteries