Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Intermittent Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 AM
charon61285
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Brake Lights

We have a 02 Sport Trac that has intermittent brake light problem. All other functions for the bulb filament for the brake lights work! Turn signal and flashers work great. The brake light that is above the rear window works, BUT the brake lights on the rear of the Sport Trac work when they what to.

Right now I can not find a cause that causes them to not work or to work. This morning they worked in the garage but did not work as my wife pulled out of the driveway. Last night they did not work on part of the way home but worked coming into the drive way. Go figure!
fficeffice" /><O></O>
Intermittent problems are a pain in the neck or maybe a pain in little lower place.
<O></O>
Thanks for your help.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Have you been able to confirm that when the brake lights do not work the flashers still work? If on the Sport Trac the turn signals do share a bulb filament with the brake lights, the brake signal is probably routed through the multi-function switch as the flasher will interrupt the brake light as well on the flashing side. Maybe you have a problem with the multifunction switch. There have been some vehicles that use a separate brake switch for the Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) and the "regular" brake lights, but I don't think the Explorer or Sport Trac is one of them.

I have the factory service manual for 2002 Ford Trucks. I'll try to take a peek at the wiring diagrams this evening.

-Rod

Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
charon61285
Junior User
Rod,

I confirmed that the flashers and the turn signals worked but brakes lights did not this morning after confirming that everything was working in the garage before the Sport Trac was moved. After backing out everything worked BUT the brake lights. The Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) always works!

Thanks,

Ron

Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
From a quick look of the wiring diagram it appears that the brake pedal position switch triggers both the CHMSL and the tail light brake lights. For the Sport Trac the switch provides power to the CHMSL/cargo lamp assembly and also taps off through the multi-function switch (MFS). I'm leaning more towards the MFS as the likely source of the problem, or the wiring to the MFS.

-Rod

Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tilt the column up and down and see if it effects the operation of the brake lights. Not unusual on the Trac for the plug on the multifunction switch to defect, more so than the switch itself.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 AM
charon61285
Junior User
Ok, tilting the column cause the brake lights to go out. I see that O'Reilly Auto Parts has replacement connector, WPT611, that looks like I have to cut and solder or splice back into the current wiring.

This is not a problem for me as I do alot of this type of wiring on my model railroad. But is the there anything I can do to "fix" the current connection until I order and get the new plug and wiring?

Going out to work on it now as this is one of many Saturday Honey Do projects that MUST be done.

Thanks,

Ron

Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
charon61285
Junior User
DISREGARD LAST POST! Wrong connector! It is the lower male connector. One of the wires Red with Black has a bare spot on it and is shorting out on something but has not blowen the fuse. The two red with black wires going in and out of connector has heated the connector and broken it. Connector also show signs of heating. The correct O'Reilly part number is WPT179 for about $48.00. I will attemp a temp fix of SuperGlue on connector housing and electrical tape on the bear wire.

I will try to take a few pictures for future use here.

A former Certified Shade Tree Mechanic, a storm took down my tree so I built a shop with a 10,000# two post lift, now I can not call myself a "Certified Shade Tree Mechanic".

Ron

Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Good info, and congrats on finding the problem (with the forum's help, of course). Looking forward to the photos.

-Rod

Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM
V8Ranger302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a guy that I do work for, his Dodge truck did the same thing. The only difference was, when you tilled the steering wheel or hit a big bump, you lost your head lights. I was test driving it at night, and went to tilt the wheel and the headlights went out. He didn't tell me about it. I called him and asked him if he would like that fixed. He hardly ever drove it at night so he never worried to much about it. I fixed it. Just one of the wires would pull out of the plug when you tilted the wheel up.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Becky Marmes
New User
1993 explorer

i have one intermittent brake light on drivers side everything else works fine after checking the grounds everything was good, bulbs good, switch, wires, fuses and connections also good so i pulled the fuses under the hood and the terminals werent so great so i took a wires brush to it and everything seems to be working now.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
blusher
New User
I have owned my 2000 Explorer since Nov 2011 and I absolutely love it. Its previous owner took excellent care of it. My problem is several months ago someone told me my brake lights were out. I went straight to the auto store, purchased the bulbs and the guy was going to change them for me, but they were both working fine. We decided the guy missed something somewhere and I have had the bulbs in my truck ever since. Suddenly Sat night I was pulled over cuz my brake lights were not working. He of course checked my license and all and came back with a warning and had me hit my brakes again to confirm and he said neither were working. (Brake light at top referred to above as CHMSL is working completely fine.) This morn on my way to work I remembered I had brake light bulbs and thought I would check here to see if there were any others with the same prob. Found this thread. Checked the Auto Zone site to check price of the Multi-Function Switch and then Googled how to replace (divorced girl with limited guy resources for help) and low and behold there was a link back to this site for how to replace. With all that being said, my question is this: the thread that came up says the multi-function switch controls the turn signals, hazard flasher, windshield wiper/washer control, headlamp dimmer/flash-to-pass. In one place it is called the multi-function switch and another the integrated multi-function switch. Same part?? Different part?? Help!! Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Sounds like just a different name for the same part. That's not uncommon. There's a Transmission Range Sensor, Digital Transmission Range Sensor, and Park/Neutral Safety Switch. Asking for any of these names for the same vehicle will get you the same part.

There were a few model years of Explorer and its siblings that had brake on/off (BOO) switches that were prone to failure. The replacement switch comes with a wiring harness pigtail that needs to be spliced or soldered in. Before spending a bit of time replacing the MFS, you might confirm the BOO switch is working correctly. Often when the BOO switch fails you'll not be able to shift from park to reverse or other transmission selections. If you confirm the Brake Pedal Interlock works to prevent shifting from Park without depressing the brake pedal, yet you're able to shift when your foot is pressing the pedal, the BOO switch is no likely to be the culprit. Just another easy thing to check.

-Rod

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
blusher
New User
I am unable to switch gears without pushing the brake.

So, the multi-function switch-that works blinker, wipers, etc also controls brake lights? Do you know where I can find a diagram to help with the replacing as well?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by blusher
I am unable to switch gears without pushing the brake.

So, the multi-function switch-that works blinker, wipers, etc also controls brake lights? Do you know where I can find a diagram to help with the replacing as well?
Okay, that indicates that the brake pedal switch is working fine.

Are you looking for a wiring diagram for the brake light circuit, or a step-by-step guide for replacing the multifunction switch? If you send me a Private Message with the request AND and e-mail address for you, I can e-mail you what I can find for either/both from the service manual.

-Rod