1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Surge while towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM
cutsrock
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surge while towing

First I have a 1996 7.3L PSD Turbo F 350 CC Dually 2wd 4spd automatic OD. The only times I have notice this problem is while towing my 5th wheel RV. Due to weight of 5th wheel I tow with the OD turned off. The IDM has been replaced and the problem occurred before and has occurred after the replacement. Towing at about 3000 rpm (63-65 mph) intermittently there seems to be a loss of power and almost instantly power restored, giving a surge sensation. After the IDM replacement and during a 250-300 mile tow the problem occurred several times over the tow. I thought that the engine rpm may be part of problem, due to it seeming happened at or above 3000 rpm, and lowered the rpm below 3000 and ran around 2700 to 2800. I think that the surge occurred once but cannot confirm. I have read about the CPS issue and thought this could be the problem. But noticed the post I read seem to be about 1997 and later vehicles. CPS problem?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This artical is not your model and may not be your exact problem but I think you may find it intresting.

7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Turbo Stall .: Articles
Do you hear the turbo making noise as mentioned in the artical?

Also if your oil is foaming you can have power loss so you may want to change the oil.

If your on a incline and there is a loss of power the oil pickup tube may have a crack as well.

If the oil level is low the crack could be exposed more readily than at normal levels.

You will need to check your fuel supply pressure at the schrader valve that is just below the FPR. Make sure your fuel filter is clean that that there is not any debris under the fuel heater element support plate and that the screen vent at 3 o-clock top side is clean as well. If the IPR is sticking at times it can also mimic this condition. If there is debris under the heater element at high rpms it can cover the vent screen.

If you EBPV is still plugged in you may want to unplug it and make sure that its open.

After your reply I can (or we can) ha
Provide more info.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
That's too much RPM to run it at for any length of time. Seriously. if it won't stay in OD then youre just too heavy for it or your transmission has problems.

As for the problem, I'd guess either a boost leak of map going bad. I'd run it with a scanner attached and watch the datastream before condeming anything though.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RRranch
That's too much RPM to run it at for any length of time. Seriously. if it won't stay in OD then youre just too heavy for it or your transmission has problems.
True
If he does not have gauges for sure true

Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM
cutsrock
Trailering
I used a poor choice of words in the subject of my post. Surge was not the word I should have used. The event is like the CPS event described in other posts. I tried to edit the subject line but could not manage. Sorry.

DRRXR. The article was interesting, although I had to re-read some sentences for the exact subject due to truncated words. Some seemed to be missing the first 2 or 3 letters. Oil changed less than 500 miles before trip and before IDM replacement.
Loss of power not associated with incline.
Fuel filter changed at oil change.
Fuel pressure check OK at IDM replacement.
IPR sticking and debris under the heater element I can't rule out until I can check. Right now there is a downpour in progress and I don't have a roof to work under.

RRranch - You made the statement. "Seriously. if it won't stay in OD then youre just too heavy for it or your transmission has problems." The transmission was rebuilt at 60,000 miles. I purchased the truck with 59,000 at while towing the 5th wheel developed a leak, front pump, torque converter, etc. I asked a Ford mechanic if I could tow my 5th wheel with the tranny in OD and was told no that the 5th wheel was to heavy for the E4OD and I should tow with the OD turned off. The 5th wheel weighs just under 11,500#. Your reply seems to indicate that I should tow with the OD turned on.

My owners guide, page 245, says that with the E4OD, to operate in Overdrive. I am truly confused now as what to do.

Thanks both of you for your input.

cutsrock

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
cutsrock
Trailering
I see there is a towing section on FTE so I think I will ask some questions there. Particularly about my vehicles towing abilities.

Thanks for the responses.
cutsrock.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I tow 15k in OD

Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
You should get a trans gauge and a pyro gauge so you can watch your temps. You should be able to tow that in od, especially since you must have 4.10 gears with the rpm's you were turning.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 PM
cutsrock
Trailering
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
You should get a trans gauge and a pyro gauge so you can watch your temps. You should be able to tow that in od, especially since you must have 4.10 gears with the rpm's you were turning.
Yes I have 4.10 gears and I will check into getting those gauges installed. I have a trip plan to Texas this November continuing on to Arizona. So I would love to tow in OD.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 PM
cutsrock
Trailering
Originally Posted by fordpride
Thanks again. The gauges look good.

cutsrock

Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
your welcome

Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Yes, I agree with the above. I'm pulling 17K as you can see and I'm in OD. Its a common sense thing. When starting to lug down, I hit the OD button. To stay at 3K would drive me crazy not to mention the poor motor. These guys telling this shi* just don't have any common sense. Get a true-cool trans cooler and a gauger. I have two trans coolers, my second being a smaller hayden. I also tow at 70mph, a good speed to keep the momentum going. Have a safe trip!

Last edited by oldbird1965; 09-10-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 PM
cutsrock
Trailering
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Yes, I agree with the above. I'm pulling 17K as you can see and I'm in OD. Its a common sense thing. When starting to lug down, I hit the OD button. To stay at 3K would drive me crazy not to mention the poor motor. These guys telling this shi* just don't have any common sense. Get a true-cool trans cooler and a gauger. I have two trans coolers, my second being a smaller hayden. I also tow at 70mph, a good speed to keep the momentum going. Have a safe trip!
Glenn, I know I have, at least one trans cooler and will check out even further. It seems as if I was given bad info by the " Ford Mechanic" to pull with the OD off.

Thanks for your response .

Jim (cutsrock)

Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
You bet! As far as the trans cooler, if its stock, get rid of it. Some guys use it as a power steering fluid cooler, or a paper weight, lol. That Ford Mechanic was just saying what he was told to say. The main point is just be careful and don't lug it down, anticipate the hills and be in the right gear at the right time.

Quick Reply: Surge while towing