1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

AOD is in and is AWESOME !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 07:49 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AOD is in and is AWESOME !!!

Greetings to all FTE'rs,

I just couldn't stand it so I had to share my excitement with everyone:

I brought the ol' boy home today from having the AOD installed. After a few "drive-arounds" which allowed me to accept or reject the shift points, everything is a "go". At 60mph I am cruising at 2000 rpm, which is a HUGE improvement over 3000 rpms with the C4. I'm shifting 1st at around 18mph; 2nd around 35, 3rd around 55mph; and it dumps into OD aver (or around 55, depending on how I'm driving it!).

The only down side of my day is that about 1 hour after test-driving and re-setting the OD to my preferences, my accelerator assembly broke! What are the odds??? It's a billet unit, and the post and throttle pedal splines are both aluminum. Long story short: they stripped! the darn threads, spindles, teeth... whatever they're called just plain ol' STRIPPED ! So, I have a replacement (chromed METAL) coming and will be installed Thursday a.m.

All in all, after all the back-&-forth with the AOD posts, etc I think this went relatively well. Even dropped off my C4 on the way home and came home with a nice check for that.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and help with me getting over this MONUMENTAL project. I'm thrilled with it and I look forward to Thurdsday afternoon when I can NOT use a coat hanger to depress my accelerator!

Daryl

Old 02-19-2003, 02:06 AM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy AOD is in and is AWESOME !!!

Hey Daryl, ... you lucky dude. Guess I am light years behind you as I am fiddeling around trying to get a C4 into my truck right now. May be I go AOD in 18 years while you try to make that 5-speed automatic work. And so on, and so on ...

Old 02-19-2003, 03:52 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by Kai
Hey Daryl, ... you lucky dude. Guess I am light years behind you as I am fiddeling around trying to get a C4 into my truck right now. May be I go AOD in 18 years while you try to make that 5-speed automatic work. And so on, and so on ...
Kai,
Are you having trouble getting the C4 in? I thought it would be fairly routine stuff with your 289. Seemed like such a good marriage; one that's been tried and trued many a time. Anything I can do to help???

Keep on keeping on....
Daryl

Old 02-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Caddy 53
Senior User

What ratio on rear axle and tire size circumference. I am headed this way, and haven't decided on axle or tire size.
Caddy 53 chuck

Old 02-21-2003, 10:38 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by Caddy 53
What ratio on rear axle and tire size circumference. I am headed this way, and haven't decided on axle or tire size.
Caddy 53 chuck
Chuck,
Ford 9" with 3.50 rear gears.
Tire size: 255/70X15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on all 4 corners.
Tire Circumference: aprox. 28" (that's holding a tape measure across the middle of the tire while it's parked, with the weight of the truck on it).

FYI: rpm differences w/ C4 vs. w/ AOD

65mph w/ C4 = aprox. 3200 rpm's
65mph w/ AOD = aprox. 2200 rpm's

Daryl

Last edited by DS59F100; 02-21-2003 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:12 PM
mwilson
Junior User

I've pretty much got the same setup as you '55 with a 302 and C4. My RPMs are pretty much what you indicated, 3200 @ 65 MPH. I've got an AOD ready to go.
Were you able to use the same trans crossmember from the C4 to the AOD and if so did it bolt in the same position on the frame rails or did it have to be relocated (how much)? What did you do about a driveshaft, modify your existing one?
How about the TV cable/linkage? Did you use the stock one of go with a Lokar. Any tips on setting this up properly?
Looking forward to having an extra gear for the freeway even though things get a little sketchy over 65 MPH with the stock front axle. Takes quite a bit of concentration just to keep it in one lane.
Thanks!

Old 02-22-2003, 01:47 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by mwilson
I've pretty much got the same setup as you '55 with a 302 and C4. My RPMs are pretty much what you indicated, 3200 @ 65 MPH. I've got an AOD ready to go.
Were you able to use the same trans crossmember from the C4 to the AOD and if so did it bolt in the same position on the frame rails or did it have to be relocated (how much)? What did you do about a driveshaft, modify your existing one?
How about the TV cable/linkage? Did you use the stock one of go with a Lokar. Any tips on setting this up properly?
Looking forward to having an extra gear for the freeway even though things get a little sketchy over 65 MPH with the stock front axle. Takes quite a bit of concentration just to keep it in one lane.
Thanks!
Greetings, and welcome to the FTE forum! I see that you are from SJC. I used to live in Costa Mesa and go down to SJC on gorgeous weekends for oysters and beer... and the birds!
Anyway, the installers said that they only had to move the crossmember a little; just redrilled holes and bunny-hopped it back a notch. They were unable to use the Lokar C4 kickdown so I purchased a new one from Lokar made specifically for the AOD.
The driveshaft was shortened and rebalanced. I have a B&M Megashifter on the floor. It required an adapter kit to marry up the linkage to the new AOD. Also had to get a new rear plate (my C4 did NOT have the universal rear plate; some do, so you may not have to go to this expense), and a new flywheel (under $100). Also, because I have Doug Thorley full-length headers, the bell housing had to be notched slightly to make room for the AOD. The installation of the AOD, all said and done was actually NOT the difficult part. It only took half a day. The crucial part of an AOD install is correctly setting the throttle pressure cable. I had to get a new throttle pressure cable. Whomever installs, sets and adjusts this BETTER know what they're doing, or it could burn up the transmission in a hurry. The good thing is that once it's installed and you drive it, if you don't like the shift points, it can easily be adjusted. I have mine set at very mild, easy shift points, similar to modern cars'. 1st gear ~18-20mph; 2nd ~35=38mph; and so on. Final OD gear kicks in around 55-60, depending on how you're driving it. It is SUCH a relief to be pulling 2000-2500 rpms in the 60's versus 3000-3500 rpm's in the 60's.
On the side.... Man, I know what you mean about going over 65 in these tanks. Drive like you're drunk or something!!!

Anyway, hope this answers some/all of your questions. If not please feel free to send me a Private Message (just click on "pm" below), that way I'll be notified that you wrote back with questions! Good luck on the install; it's definitely "do-able" and well worth it in my opinion. Just MAKE SURE you get someone who knows what they're doing when they set the throttle pressure cable up.

Daryl