Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 PM
marshbun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok shifting problems

ok so i bought a 95 f150 two wheel drive with the inline 6 and the e4od tranny. the motor was blowen so i droped in a very old( but rebuilt this year) 302 with a bit bigger cam hp heads flat top pistons edelbrock intake and carb with shorty headers. motor runs strong. starts up great and has alot of power. the only problem was the truck was not sifting at the right time and would not kick down to pass people. i was told it was my tps not being hooked up. so i made a bracket and hooked it up. and it still shifts hard but when i go wot it wants to up shift way to soon and way to fast. i thought maybe i hooked it up backwards. so i tried switching the wirers( even tho the voltmeter said i had it right the first time) and it just went back to not working. anything i forget that i might need for the engine swap i did?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM
TurboBronco
Junior User
So, are you using the '95 ECM to run the transmission? Is the new engine(302) carbed, or are you using the ECM in the truck?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM
marshbun
New User
the 302 i put in there is carb so i didnt think i would need the computer. i was told i would just need the tps. so thats all i really have hooked up for the tranny.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM
TurboBronco
Junior User
I think you will need the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) connected to the transmission as well. That may help cure the shifting issue.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, so I am interested to find out if the E4od will run without the ECM or a standalone controller, or just the factory ECM which isn't controlling the engine.

USSHIFT.COM has a standalone controller that will allow you to set the shift points and will control the transmission. It's on sale right now, but it's expensive at about $525.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 PM
marshbun
New User
the vss...mmmm ill have to look in to that. u r the first person that i have talked to( and i have talked to alot of people about this) that has mention that. does it get wired stright to the tranny or to the computer first? i never took out the trucks ecm just never put back all the senors that the inline 6 had on the motor. with the 302 i didnt feel the need for 30 senors on the motor. so the trucks ecm should still be hooked to the tranny i have no clue tho if it is even working tho.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 PM
TurboBronco
Junior User
I believe the vss goes directly from top of the rear end to the rear of the transmission. I'll go check mine and see if I can trace it.

I would love to hear from someone on this board who has maybe done this, or is very familiar with the E4OD as to what sensors it needs. I would think that TPS, VSS and possibly load/vacuum should be enough to run the transmission.

I can't imagine that this hasn't been done before.

If you figure it out, please post what you did here for the benefit of others!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM
TurboBronco
Junior User
Here is a pic of my VSS on top of my 8.8. I have a '91 Bronco. I can't tell where the wiring for the VSS goes to...it is in a mass of wires that goes to the front of the truck, but I can't see where the VSS wires go to.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM
marshbun
New User
Thanks for the pic iam going to check mine tomorrow after work and see if I can follow mine. Till then I will keep looking up what eles I can do and what I will need to make this work and trust me i will let everyone know how it got done

Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
might be easier/cheaper to just swap in a non computer controlled tranny.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Schematic of the signal flow from the VSS passed the RABS module then onto the PSOM behind the speedometer.
courtesy of subford

Your truck uses the same signal flow

Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 PM
TurboBronco
Junior User
Originally Posted by cjben
might be easier/cheaper to just swap in a non computer controlled tranny.
In what way would it be easier or cheaper?

He has already has the E4OD installed and mostly working. A controller for it if he can't get it working with the existing ECU would cost about $500.

If he goes the AOD route(non-computer controlled) he will need to purchase the transmission and have his existing drive shaft lengthened as the AOD is shorter than the E4OD.

I don't see how replacing the E4OD with another tranny would be either easier or cheaper.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM
TurboBronco
Junior User
rla2005...great schematic.

Do you know of anyone using the stock ECM to run an E4OD successfully? or what sensor it needs to run? Would a TPS and a VSS do it?

The Baumann controller(now usshift.com) appears to only need the TPS and VSS.

I am planning on swapping a 4.9 for my 5.0 in the spring and will be facing this same issue.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
marshbun
New User
turbo hit it right on the spot. i really dont wana go hunt down and buy another tranny and replace it. the e40d i have now was rebuilt not to long ago when i had the motor redone so i really want to keep it. but i don't wanna go broke buying controllers for the e40d.(but will if i have to lol) and RLA2005 thank you for the diagram. lol kept me from having to crawl all under my truck and dash to follow some wires.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
The PCM uses most of the sensor inputs to control the transmission. This includes the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT), Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP), VSS, TPS, and most likely (not 100% sure) Air Charge Temperature (ACT). Do not forget it also senses the Transmission Oil Temperature (TOT) on the internal solenoid block of the transmission.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will never, ever work right. It will need PIP signal from the TFI module for engine speed, coolant temp, MAP, TPS, VSS etc..as mentioned earlier.

Even if it did somehow work, It'd be terrible since all the shift points would be programmed for the I6. You'd get WOT 3500-4000 RPM shifts or whatever the I6 does.

Quick Reply: ok shifting problems