Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2001, 04:32 AM
Freshman User

bluesky is starting off with a positive reputation.
how much transmission fluid?

My owners manual says that I have 16.4 qt. of transmission fluid in my '97 5.4L Expy.

When I inquired about a transmission fluid & filter change at a service shop, The check-in technician scoffed at this volume. He said that I would only need about 6 qt. in a routine fluid and filter change and that the rest of the volume would remain in the torque converter.

Which is correct?

I have 45K miles now and would like to switch to Mobil-1 synthetic transmission fluid for towing purposes. I have misgivings of leaving 10 quarts of old fluid behind if the normal practice is to only change 6 qt.

Thanks for the feedback...

Dino F.

homepage: http://www.geocities.com/blueskywhiteclouds
Low-Tech Ideas, Tips, Hints and Solutions for RV Trailering
Old 05-18-2001, 08:52 PM
Freshman User

bluesky is starting off with a positive reputation.

As a follow-up to my own question...

Last week I took my Expedition to my Ford dealer for transmission service. I gave them 3 cases of Mobil-1 ATF fluid that I had purchased elsewhere, and asked that any unused fluid be returned to me.

They dropped the pan, cleaned the sediment and magnet, etc.

I got 3 of the 18 quarts back unused.

Dino
Old 08-06-2001, 10:47 PM
New User

TheHobbit is starting off with a positive reputation.

There is a rubber plug in the bottom of the bell housing, and a corresponding 11mm plug in the converter. Ford reccommends that the converter be drained with each trans service hence the 16 qts. You may have to turn the engine to get the plugs to line up...
Old 08-09-2001, 04:04 PM
New User

ghoughto is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 08-09-2001, 04:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
01, 06, 1966, 1999, 2001, 2006, 54l, amount, expedition, f150, f250, fluid, ford, quarts, transmission, truck