1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Maiden Voyage!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maiden Voyage!

I thought that today would be very fitting to take the 52 around the block after five years of it sitting idle. The last few months, I labored over it to get it this point.

I drove it twice around the block without any major issues. It shifts forward in all three gears and in reverse without any issues (so far). The brakes work good also.

I do have to adjust the carbs again, as the truck backfires and dies when the choke is closed, even after being warmed up. I put the air cleaners on after I adjusted the carbs the first time. I'm guessing that the airflow is slightly restricted now with the carbs on. Also found coolant leaking from the rear of the engine. I haven't checked out the issues, but I'm thinking that it could be the rear freeze plug.

Besides the minor issues, I think that it's ready to go for a slightly longer trip after the new adjustments are made.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out with my "Resurrection" - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...urrection.html. I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I use the truck.

Video should be available tomorrow.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Congratulations Ilya! That maiden voyage is always a sweet one that you'll remember forever. Smiling here just thinking about it. Way to go!!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Hey Illya,Congratulations!!

Hmmmm,maybe now I'll see you on 17 around 5:30 a.m. on my way to Mtn. View?LOL!

I'll be in a Colonial White '59 w/camper shell,driving 55 and receiving half peace signs from all the contented commuters.

That's GREAT,Illya!!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That first short putt really cranks up the motivation to get the rest of the loose ends tied up so you can drive it even more. Is this going to be the daily commuter when you get comfortable with its reliability? And will the '51 go under the knife next?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
That first short putt really cranks up the motivation to get the rest of the loose ends tied up so you can drive it even more. Is this going to be the daily commuter when you get comfortable with its reliability? And will the '51 go under the knife next?
I had the biggest grin on my face on the first trip around the block. It'll be my Saturday garage/estate sale/auction and local swap meet truck. Plus, plan is to haul some vintage bicycles inside or outside (with a hitch mounted carrier) to the local park for the family to cruise around. Now I'll have to decide which vehicle to take to the shows.

Eventually, I want the Panel truck to be lettered in "Sanford and Son" style. My last name is Smolyanitsky, so the logo is a play on words similar to "Sanford and Son". Plus, my wife always keep saying that I drag more "junk" home and now my 4 year old is saying the word "junk" everytime he sees the stuff in my garage or when I take him with me to swap meets.

Thanks to Bob for coming up with these ideas.

I might just get the doors lettered instead.

Yes, the 51 is next. It shouldn't take that long to get it going. It does need a new wiring harness, but I think that I'll hold off on that. I'll play around with the timing and the new carb first to see if I can get her to run fairly decent. Then will likely do a full tune up and fluids change, as well as new battery cables. I'll post progress reports on the 51 when they occur.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Ilya,

Cool! I know the feeling of getting a truck on the road after putting a lot of work into it. Now the fun starts, keeping it running and it will only double once you have the '51 on the road. The best part is the first time your son gets behind the wheel. I know you have some time before that happens but when it does you get mixed emotions. You see your pride and joy, the truck that is, being driven by an inexperienced driver but then you also realize, pride, the legacy is living on. I told my sons they can drive the trucks anytime as long as they ask first and if they cause any damage they will fix it.

Enjoy your truck. I wish I had as long of driving season as you.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:03 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Thanks, Bob. I know exactly what you mean. My wife is now in the hots to learn how to drive either one of the vehicles, either the Airflow or the 52. Honestly, I don't trust her driving either one, so she'll remain a passenger.

I called the DMV last week to see how much registration will cost me. I was told that it's $202 for the entire year and it expires at the end of December 2010. In CA, since it was on non-op status, whenever the vehicle is registered back into use, no matter when throughout the year, the registration must be paid in full for the year. I don't see a reason to pay $202 for a few months of driving the truck a hanful of times.

So, I'm thinking that I might drive it a few short distances until the end of the year and hope that I won't get pulled over. If I do, then I'll just say that the check is in the mail. Most cops leave old vehicles alone around here.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Ilya,

Doesn't CA have special licenses for antique and collector vehicles. Here in WI I have all my trucks registered as collectors. My first collector plate I bought for my F-2 30 years ago cost me $60 and is non-renewable, only the one time fee. Now it's a
$50 one-time issuance fee and twice the annual registration fee for vehicle type.

There are a few restrictions but there are a lot less than when I first got my first one. As far as I remember the few restrictions are you have to have a regular annually registered vehicle in your name, the vehicle has to be stock, no modifications other than safety mods, you can't drive it in January (when I got my first one I could only drive it from April to October), you can't haul more than 500lbs (I doubt if the law ever checks unless you're doing something stupid). There might be a few others but I really don't care. Antique plates are $5 but a lot more restrictive, you can only drive them in parades and to and from shows.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Yes, CA does have Antique Vehicle plates. However, I don't know too much about the rules and regulations. Besides, I have personalized plates and YOM replica personalized plates ready to be affixed to the vehicle.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Ilya, Congratulations on the drive!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news, I know that smile. Keep up the good work. I like the lettering idea. I like it better on the side of the panel rather than on the door. You got all the area to use, and lettering on the door would make it look kind of bare on the side of the panel. I know it's not an issue now. Real happy for ya!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ilya....looksgreat.
I am contemplating how to re-letter my big 57 since the refinishing.
Maybe something along the lines of what you have.

I will keep the sign post and mailbox on the doors and just change the wording on the bed.
I have been writing things down for 2 weeks trying to get the correct logo.
Hope the air cleaner was up to par!!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ilya
Too Cool - I like the Lettering ideas - Seeing that ole Panel makes me want to get my 48 rolling even more.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to see another panel back in service. Nice going

Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Drove it around some more today. It backfires a little. Played with the timing and carbs again, but the backfiring didn't go away completely. I may have to live with the occasional backfiring.

Quick Reply: Maiden Voyage!