Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint That Rusty Ol' Ford Truck For $50

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247
Painted this truck in May 2010. Still looks good. For a beater 7.3 idi 5 spd dually crew cab it's holding up great. Got less than $2k in it, have it were I want it, done.
VT247
I think your truck looks like CHIT!. Looked better BEFORE you touched it

Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
puroford
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good. ive been thinking about doing my flareside. i may just do it now. to all those talking trash, shut the f... up. if you dont like it stop logging on to talk trash

Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I think your truck looks like CHIT!. Looked better BEFORE you touched it
well the Chit part is correct, that was before the paint job, now it looks pretty immaculate, heck if it was mine I would be thrilled with it and wouldnt be taking it to a professional place, i would just leave it as is! oh and brad if you really honestly don't have nice things to say just dont post, no need to try and down his budget paint job which I think looks great! for those on a budget this is just as good as those who can afford the $5k or what ever it costs for a complete professional paint job...

VCT that truck is very nice looking great job man, wish you lived by me so we could work on mine as Im planning to do this my self lol!! altho im not srue what color to use as I like all the rustolium colors...

Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
well the Chit part is correct, that was before the paint job, now it looks pretty immaculate, heck if it was mine I would be thrilled with it and wouldnt be taking it to a professional place, i would just leave it as is! oh and brad if you really honestly don't have nice things to say just dont post, no need to try and down his budget paint job which I think looks great! for those on a budget this is just as good as those who can afford the $5k or what ever it costs for a complete professional paint job...

VCT that truck is very nice looking great job man, wish you lived by me so we yould work on mine as Im planning to do this my self lol!! altho im not srue what color to use as I like all the rustolium colors...
You said it jaime...Period...

If its a work truck/DD....Then there are NO REASON WHATSOEVER to dump $2-5k on a paintjob to simply have it scratched up...

I say, if you want to, and can do it...Go for it....

Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 AM
83capril
Elder User
Looks great for $50. Even if it last a few years.
Seeing as it has been almost a year since this was done I wonder if the OP would be willing to show some current pics. The only thing I would of been worried about was the patch panels. Not sure how good of a bonding agent Bondo is. It's a filler mainly as far as I know. Heck if it's holding up great!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am sorry. But when someone uses BONDO to "glue" a patch panel in, that is HALFASSED. Then it looks like the pinstripe was even painted over? REALLY!? The 4 screws for taillights was too much effort to remove the taillight?. A stick on F350 emblem could not even be taken off? How about the dually marker lights that just POP in place. NONE of that has anything to do with COST. It has EVERYTHING to do with PRIDE in your job. Even the door handles and locks. Takes about 5 min per door to remove. Antenna trim pops off wit a screw driver, it takes longer to tape most of these things off

AGAINHALFASSED

You spend all that time to take a weekend to paint a truck but couldnt take an extra hour to do the prep "right". Again, it would of cost NOTHING more

Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM
83capril
Elder User
I can understand about the prep work Brad. I feel it's his truck and it does look better then before. I myself am more curious as to how the paint has held up to the elements after a year.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAMN. I spent over 2 grand on mine! Where have you been all my life?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am sorry. But when someone uses BONDO to "glue" a patch panel in, that is HALFASSED. Then it looks like the pinstripe was even painted over? REALLY!? The 4 screws for taillights was too much effort to remove the taillight?. A stick on F350 emblem could not even be taken off? How about the dually marker lights that just POP in place. NONE of that has anything to do with COST. It has EVERYTHING to do with PRIDE in your job. Even the door handles and locks. Takes about 5 min per door to remove. Antenna trim pops off wit a screw driver, it takes longer to tape most of these things off

AGAINHALFASSED

You spend all that time to take a weekend to paint a truck but couldnt take an extra hour to do the prep "right". Again, it would of cost NOTHING more
True about the panels, covering bondo over rust is like putting a band aid over a tumor.... it just hides the problem.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM
RANGER589
Senior User
Thumbs up Pictured emailed please!!!

If any of you guys have pictures of the paint jobs you did with this method I would really appreciate it if you could send them to me. I can't see crap because of the firewall here at work and I don't have my own PC.

You can send pictures to: mckayt@aetna.com

Thanks, Todd.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Vacationtime247
Junior User
I'll try and get some pics of the truck posted up. Being that it was a quicky job, sure, it's not perfect. But the paint does still shine once I knock the dirt off. The patch panels have held on great. Tried to pull out on them to see how strong it was holding. They're on there good! For no more $ or time I have invested in it, I'm still happy with the results.
VT247

Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
83capril
Elder User
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247
For no more $ or time I have invested in it, I'm still happy with the results.
VT247
That is the point on any job!! You yourself are happy with the work you did or another person did to YOUR rig. Anybody can find error in anothers work. As long as your happy then great!!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 AM
fordcaver91
Freshman User
did you put any primer on or just go with paint? by the way.... nice job!! i plan on doing this soon. did the one gal cover the hole truck?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brad you do have valid point about the bondo and covering rust bits, yea rust could come back but for a DD I would not care to dump 5K into a paint job just to get a ding in it, I would do a $50 job any day on my DD beater, thats what the truck is to me and my partner its a beater we throw things in the bed and haul what ever just to do it again, and not give a second thought about it, granted hes only doing a bandaid fix but he said he was doing this on a budget and for the 50 it looks damn good!

@VCT: man if your happy with it more power to ya let that paint shine, I would consider doing proper rust removal if you start experienceing rust issues as rust is a cars cancer, painting over it is mearly a bandaid fix, im not sure about rust reformer or what it is supposed to do but i know it turns rust into a paintable surface so maybe somethin like that would help in the long run, like what I did to my ungodly rusted hitch which looks alot better now

anyways rep for a sweet paint job man!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Vacationtime247
Junior User
Painted this truck over a year ago. It's a work horse. Have less than $2k in this 5spd 7.3 diesel 4 door dually. This is how it looks 1 year later. It's dirty in these pics, haven't washed in months. Looks much better when it is clean though. Still can see reflections in the paint. Looks decent from a distance, lol.

Here's 3 pics of the truck. Took about 2-3 days to complete, most of that time was allowing the paint to dry. The better the prep surface, the better the paint will turn out when done.

Here's my 1978 Ford Pinto Pony. A freeby given to me by my grandmother (now deceased). It has less than 29k miles on it and is all original. Even has the original 13 inch bias ply tires. Runs great!

Just took this car from Indiana to 9 National parks last month. Rocky Mt National Park Colorado, Grand Teton NP Wyoming, Yellowstone NP Wyoming, Crater Lake NP Oregon, Redwood NP California, Yosemite NP, California, Kings Canyon NP CA, Sequoia NP CA, Las Vegas Nevada, Grand Canyon NP Arizona back to Indiana. Averaged over 37 mpg and drove 6500 + miles.

Here is another freeby. Aunt and Uncle gave me a 83 Chevy 6.3 diesel silverado and this 1986 Ford Tempo GL 2.0 diesel 5 speed 4 door free. They wanted them out of their yard so I had them towed back to my place. Parted out the truck (rusty pos) and fixed up the Tempo...new brakes and lines, starter, cleaning, exhaust, etc. Less than $600 in it after title, plate and fixes. Not bad considering I'm averaging over 50 miles per gallon.

Quick Reply: Paint That Rusty Ol' Ford Truck For $50