Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wanna Help Solve a Mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
JennyR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanna Help Solve a Mystery?

I have asked for help with my problem on another section of this forum. If you would like to read it and perhaps add your input I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you,
Jenny

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ong-sorry.html

Disclaimer: I don't think it's engine related at this point.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you brought it here hopefully this group will get you lined out.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, whats the prob?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Hmm, whats the prob?
Click on the LINK then read.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Hood thing might be a bit tricky not sure on that. A buddy dodge did the same thing But we were able to pop his Grill insert out and get at it. If your grill is like mine it wont just pop out.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deluxe06
Click on the LINK then read.
Did that.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
My son had a similar problem.....we changed tires and problem went away. Perhaps you have an unbalanced or bad tire.

When I swapped out my front end for a Dynatrac, my truck rode to the left; I had to add sleeves/collars to the top ball joints in order get the proper adjustment/alignment.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 AM
JennyR
New User
Lol! No way my grill is going to come out without a fight. That problem is on the back burner for now.

I am leaning more and more to the problem being the tires. Like I said in the other thread, I've had one just blow apart at the rim while parked. One totally peeled way while driving down the freeway. The one I had to buy as a replacement while out of town was warped and had 500 weights plastered to one side. So I expect that if I take that oddly weighted spare off and put it on the driver's side I will see a vast improvement.

I'm never buying Kumho (sp?) tires again. All this and they are less than six months old now.

Going to work now, have a great day and thank you for everything. I am so glad I found this forum!

Jenny

Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Morning Jenny,

If you truelly believe it to be the tires, a simple rotation would be the quickest way to check.

I believe you are going to find the problem to be either a front u joint on one of the axle shafts, or a wheel bearing assembly. As some one noted on your other thread, The Tenn Chapter is real strong, and you may have a neighbor around that could take a look.

Good Luck!!

Sorry,, Welcome to FTE!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Those tires would be the first to go if the problem showed up right after they were installed.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I would start with the tires you shouldn't have to have alot of wheel weights to balance a good tire and with two tire failures out of four , I would say that's your answer.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by just another truck
Good Morning Jenny,

If you truelly believe it to be the tires, a simple rotation would be the quickest way to check.

I believe you are going to find the problem to be either a front u joint on one of the axle shafts, or a wheel bearing assembly. As some one noted on your other thread, The Tenn Chapter is real strong, and you may have a neighbor around that could take a look.

Good Luck!!

Sorry,, Welcome to FTE!!!
After the tires I also vote U joint. Had the same issue and read through many hours of threads here on front end problems. Finally tore into mine and the u joint looked ok. No play at all. When I got the axle out the u joint was so stiff I couldn't move it without alot of effort.
My uneducated guess is that it would align most of the time. Occasionally while turning it would get a little outta whack and create that wobble and I would have to fight the steering wheel for a few miles until all felt OK again?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
You put new brakes on it. I would look at the brakes on that side. It may be that they are 'sticking' and not releasing back into the cylinder correctly, or the rotor may be warped at little and causing some drag.

ie. pull and vibration

Welcome to FTE

Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
JennyR
New User
I'm taking that tire off when I finish with this job. I will try the crappy spare, the one that's malformed and see "if" it helps even slightly. If someone would like to give me some ideas of where to turn if the problems don't go away after that, I'd be very, very appreciative. The local Co-op dudes were super rude to me so I won't go back to the Athens Co-op for anything.

Someone around or in Athens, Tennessee?

Thank you for all of your kind welcomes and most certainly for everyones opinions and advice. I am keeping track of all of it and will try each thing in turn.

Jenny

Old 09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
After reading the other thread and this one I would have to look towards the hubs. You should be able to lock and unlock the hubs with your hands without problems. If you have one binding up, it will cause additional drag on one side. if it is binding then it may also be causing the vibration you are feeling.
I would remove the locking hubs, (Can be done without even removing the wheel), and see how it does without the hubs in place. Should be able to tell with a short drive.
New hubs are easy and cheap to replace if that is the problem.

Quick Reply: Wanna Help Solve a Mystery?