Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
IPR location ...

Name:  IPR clear Pic.jpg
Views: 9728
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  IPR AND HPOP.jpg
Views: 2686
Size:  67.6 KB

If you are going to pull the valve covers , run the motor & look for oil leaking up from the base of one of the injectors , may need to be warm too.. Also , watch the oil from the spill spouts , it should be an equal amount from each injector ...

Disregard the last pic...

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Michael250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, thanks so much for that pic - really easy to know now which is the ipr! Spoke to International again, and they said I could by it, install it, and then bring it back if it doesn't make any difference! Talk about service! Ford won't let me do that. So, this morning that's what I'm going to do. All the Chev guys here are wondering why I'm not driving my truck...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Michael250
Junior User
Also wondering if this could be the cam position sensor? How do I test, and would this be a good one? Improved Blue CPS for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Diesel

Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael250
Also wondering if this could be the cam position sensor? How do I test, and would this be a good one? Improved Blue CPS for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Diesel
The quick test for the CPS is to crank the motor and see if the tach moves at all while cranking. If the tach moves, that's usually a sign of a good CPS. If you've got any smoke coming out the tailpipe while cranking, the CPS is working. If a scanner can see RPM's while cranking, the CPS is good.

The Blue CPS is for a different motor from International. It changes the timing. Some have reported they love it, others are concerned, especially if a chip is also used which will have another affect on timing.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Michael250
Junior User
Hi Chris - now that you mention it, I remember reading the "tach-test" before. My tach works while cranking, white smoke while cranking, so that's not the issue. Sorry about that. I should have remembered (grace because I'm so new???). Well, I got an IPR from International today, and try to put it in tomorrow after my meetings, and see what happens. Have a great night. Michael.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Heres a little help

97-15A 7.3L DI Turbo Workshop Manual

If you need info on the IPR click on the I

CPS click on the C ect...

And here is the IPR

Be careful not to damage it during dismantlement
http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...0Regulator.pdf

Old 09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Michael250
Junior User
Wow, great info, Rocky. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Michael250
Junior User
Ok, so yesterday I changed the IPR who said removing the fuel bowl was easy??). The outer nut on the old one was loose, so that could have been a problem, but I decided to put the new one anyway. Got too dark to continue, so finished this am. Tried to start - started right away! Seemed to sound good too, so it definately made a difference (last time I could barely start her). BUT.....still belches out white smoke while revving in park. Oh, and while I was driving the battery light came on (??). I tested them while running and they were 14.55 (???)

Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Ok, so yesterday I changed the IPR who said removing the fuel bowl was easy??). The outer nut on the old one was loose, so that could have been a problem, but I decided to put the new one anyway. Got too dark to continue, so finished this am. Tried to start - started right away! Seemed to sound good too, so it definately made a difference (last time I could barely start her). BUT.....still belches out white smoke while revving in park. Oh, and while I was driving the battery light came on (??). I tested them while running and they were 14.55 (???)
Did you already replace the uvcwh's ?

Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Michael250
Junior User
Figured out the battery issue - I mangled a wire while under the hood doing the IPR. It's ok now. On the smoke issue, someone suggested head gasket, but the smoke smells like diesel fuel, and it only smokes while revving in park (no load). There is no smoke while driving and I give her the same amount of fuel.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Sounds like unburnt fuel to me. Probably not a head gasket unless you are having overheating, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, etc.

Does it smoke in park after it's been running for a while and the engine is completely warmed up?
Maybe injector o-rings?

Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Figured out the battery issue - I mangled a wire while under the hood doing the IPR. It's ok now. On the smoke issue, someone suggested head gasket, but the smoke smells like diesel fuel, and it only smokes while revving in park (no load). There is no smoke while driving and I give her the same amount of fuel.
Did I read that you unplugged the ICP and there was no difference driving it at all with it unplugged?

If so your ICP is either shot or there is a short.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Sounds like unburnt fuel to me. Probably not a head gasket unless you are having overheating, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, etc.

Does it smoke in park after it's been running for a while and the engine is completely warmed up?
Maybe injector o-rings?
Evan
I thought he said it was white smoke

Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by DRRXR
Evan
I thought he said it was white smoke
Completely unburnt fuel comes out white and smells like diesel. That's why the truck smokes white for a few minutes after you pull the injectors and reinstall, there's a bunch of extra fuel pooled up.

Fuel that's been heated but is unburnt comes out black.

At least that's my understanding of it...

Old 09-11-2010, 11:04 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Completely unburnt fuel comes out white and smells like diesel. That's why the truck smokes white for a few minutes after you pull the injectors and reinstall, there's a bunch of extra fuel pooled up.

Fuel that's been heated but is unburnt comes out black.

At least that's my understanding of it...
Right
Were on the same page, I thought your were suggesting that it was oil. But now that I reread I dont know why I thought that. ha o-well more coffee is required.

Quick Reply: she dont wanna run...