Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 12:49 AM
New User

pound727puppy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I need help with my snorkel!

I don't have one of these new fangled motors with a throttlebody and a little intake tubing, I wish it was that easy parts are easier to make. I have a old school big block 400 with a Edelbrock 650 on top. I have gone to every plumbing store in the county and I have been skunked, no one makes a plastic pipe that has an ID of 5", they all jump from 4" to 6". I want to setup a snorkel that comes into the cab vs one that runs along the outside of the cab. I know its prob not the most wise idea but I have a tendency to bushwack and traipse through the trees and bushes and make trails instead of following the already made trails. So I am trying to stay away from one that would be mounted on the outside of the truck at all.
I'm not sure if I want to use an old school air cleaner with snorkel and than run a tube inside of the vehicle for the inability to seal it up properly thus defeating the idea of a snorkel. I think i would rather use a PVC pipe or maybe have to mill something out of aluminum. i have no Ideas here, can anyone offer any ideas? I'm about to say screw it and let it suck water...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 PM
New User

FordDZLMan9191 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could try a factory style air cleaner. chop off the intake pipe thing on it and seal the hole. get a 6"-5" exhaust reducer and figure out how to attach it to the lid on the air cleaner then run the 6" pvc if thats what you want or whatever else it was that you were thinking.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Postmaster

Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.
theGrubbworms JoEllen Grubbs
Maybe some 5" HVAC duct pipe, elbows, or boots. Then adapt from there to whatever you want. Make sure to tape and seal all the joints with the special tape or sealant. Or maybe you could fab something out of some type of plastic (cut a hole in some flat plastic and use some type of plastic cement to bond some pieces together).
Troubleshooting help, for anyone that needs it.
Reward good advice with a note by clicking the left red "Add to Reputation"
button right of the word "permalink" top right of the poster's message.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Elder User

wdfp is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think you may be able to find something in a truck wrecking yard.. I mean class 8 trucks that is, semi and 10 wheeler type, I think some of them had 5" from the breathers to the engines. Mostly aluminum tubes and rubber elbows but that may work if you can fab it a little.. Just make sure to have a long enough section of rubber to allow for the engine rocking or it will rock the breather on top of the carb ..
Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 AM
New User

pound727puppy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think my best bet out of the suggestions so far is the intake pipe from a semi. The only issue I see is mounting it to the carb itself, but I think if I use a 90 and put a hole in it I can put a long piece of all thread with a nut on it and I should be fine. A little bit of silicone and I should be fine.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Freshman User

Blueheart is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I remember right, the Dodge Durango had a molded plastic piece that had a wing nut type setup to the throttle body and a hose that ran to the airbox. I remember thinking that it would be easy to seal it off. I'm thinking your best bet would be to check the wrecks of different manufacturers and see what pieces you can come up with that you like.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 PM