2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot shift out of park.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 PM
a123anonymous
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot shift out of park.

We have a 2005 f150 king ranch v8 5.4L with center console shifting that will not shift out of park.

We moved the truck and put it in park. We changed rear brakes and rotor on the right side. We get in the truck to move it again and the shifter will not move. Tried jacking the back up again and moving the tires a little (thought they may have moved slightly taking the lugs off.) Checked owners manual to find out that it may be brake lights or the #16 fuse that is for brake shift interlock. Checked both brake lights and the fuse and they were both working and good. Checked all fuses and a couple were bad, replaced them. The manual said that you can bypass the interlock by putting parking brake on, turn key off, remove key, remove center console cover, press and hold white button and the shifter still wouldn't move. I am wondering what I can do to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

I mentioned we just changed brakes because could have that caused this problem, OR perhaps it was just a coincidence that it happened right after we changed brakes?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you jack up both sides after you discovered the problem? There still might be a bind on the drive train. Next time, just put some blocks in front of the front wheels, and don't put it in park. Hope this was of some help.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
a123anonymous
New User
It is actually my sisters truck that I was helping change the brakes on. To change the brakes we jacked up the driver side, and took the tire off. We then put a jack stand under the driver side. We then jacked up the passenger side and removed the tire and rotor. Removed both sets of brakes, the passenger side was really bad almost down to the metal and the driver side wasn't nowhere near as bad. That seemed odd to me and the passenger side rotor we took off because it was cracked. We got the brakes and new rotor, put them on and let down the passenger side, then lifted the drive side back up slightly to take out the jack stand and lowered the driver side.

After we discovered the problem we tried jacking up each side turning the tire slightly and letting it down. We tried jacking up the one side putting the jack stand under and jacking up the other side as we did when we changed the brakes. And letting it back down. We tried with the jack in the middle and lifting both sides up and letting it down. Each time we had it lifted we tried to see if the shifter would move with the white button, and key on engine off and engine on. We tried after we lowered it each time also. We tried so many times because we were thinking that was really the only thing we did other than changing the brakes. We did everything we could think of, short of taking the tires and the brakes back off. But we didn't figure changing the brakes should have effected anything.

If we somehow did bind the drive train what would we have to do to unbind it? My knowledge is limited in this area but i told the other guy that I could try to find out more information online because he ran out of ideas. He had climbed under the truck and I think he said that he was able to unhook the linkage and get the truck in neutral that way. Would he have been able to do that if the we did bind the drive train. I had forgot to mention that in the original post.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Nightmare97
Junior User
Originally Posted by a123anonymous
I have a 2005 f150 king ranch v8 5.4L with center console shifting.

We moved the truck and put it in park. We changed rear brakes and rotor on the right side. We get in the truck to move it again and the shifter will not move. Tried jacking the back up again and moving the tires a little (thought they may have moved slightly taking the lugs off.) Checked owners manual to find out that it may be brake lights or the #16 fuse that is for brake shift interlock. Checked both brake lights and the fuse and they were both working and good. Checked all fuses and a couple were bad, replaced them. The manual said that you can bypass the interlock by putting parking brake on, turn key off, remove key, remove center console cover, press and hold white button and the shifter still wouldn't move. I am wondering what I can do to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

I mentioned we just changed brakes because could have that caused this problem, OR perhaps it was just a coincidence that it happened right after we changed brakes?
My wifes old 06 Explorer used to do this, don't think it had more than 20k when the problem started. The shifter is child proof and you have to step on the brake to get it out of park if you're lucky and it works. Got fed up and removed a couple small parts from the soleniod at the shifter, took about five minutes. I know it's a common problem for the Explorers, and most likely the same set-up on your truck.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
chuckster48
Freshman User
Had this on my 04 SCREW, replaced the brake light switch,and that did no good. Wound up replaceing the shifter and relays. One thing that it did before it failed, was the cruise control quit. Honestly, I thought this was limited to "early 04" trucks.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Nightmare97
Junior User
Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
a123anonymous
New User
Update to problem, new problem close to fix??

I want to thank everyone that has responded to help me out. I may have been misleading because I think we were looking for a problem that wasn't there based on my searches for "stuck in park"(it may be early 04 problems). but cant believe anything would go bad changing brakes.

I think we may be close to a fix!?

Well we have tried everything we could think of and noticed the white button (that you can use to bypass) was moving up and down with the brake pedal so we figured the problem was in the shifter. Found a diagram (on fordf150.net/forums) of a similar style shifter but no parts descriptions

and instructions to remove the shifter to get to the actuator
2005 ford f150 won''t shift out of park. brake .... - JustAnswer
From there it was pretty much figuring out what does what. We realized that the actuator seems to be working properly. But we removed it and noticed there is a lever that raises up when the button on the **** is pushed which allows the shifter to change gears. We were able to pry that lever with a screwdriver and get it out of park but the button doesn't seem to be raising the lever enough. Also if we pry that lever the opposite way the **** on the handle pushes out slightly farther(possibly where it is supposed to be at all times but I haven't drove the truck enough to know)

My question is:
Instructions to further take the shifter/handle assembly apart?
Does anyone have a diagram of the shift ****/handle/shifter assembly? Anything that will help me take it apart and see if all of the pieces are there?
Is there possibly a spring that controls it that could be missing?
Does anyone know where I could find a replacement spring/part or would I need to buy a whole new assembly?If so where is a good place to get one?
Odds that the handle assembly would go bad right before/after we change brakes?

All suggestions/responses are much appreciated.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Christofiso
New User
I had a truck that has the same problem, chased all the same areas. the last area we checked was the shifter cable at the transmission - found it packed with dirt and rocks. A stone the size of a golf ball wedged inbetween the case and the lever.