Sponsored by:

A Word of warning about the PCV valves.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cbradford
Just wondering if you noticed a difference in oil consumption?
Not yet. I havn't driven it much. But my oil consumption was high as hell. About one uart per thousand.

I will say that the hose between the PCV and the throttle body and the PCV itself were literally dripping oil when I removed them. A large amount of oil.

The new PCV has some resistance to air in one direction. the old one does not. Straigh blow through.

I am leaving on a 300 mile trip to Williamsburg tomorrow and coming back next week. I'll let you know what I find. I am changing the oil within the next hour to get ready for the trip so I will have a good baseline.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm, I`ll have to check mine. I had an issue with bad mileage and low power, I replaced the plugs and cleaned the MAF and T-body. my plugs were clean and looked good for 55k mi. (I replace 100k mi. platinum plugs around 60k). I still had the bad mileage and power issue. I ended up going to 93 octane and this brought my mileage and power back! I have no oil consumption problems.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 AM
87mh
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by housedad
BTW, for the 2004 and 2005 owners, The PCV Valve is the blue plastic tube affair sticking out of the middle of the passenger side valve cover. ...I wanted to post this since it is so different from the 2000-2003 models, and it took a bit for me to figure out without buggering up the connector or anything else....Here is a pick of the valve:
Great picture - worth MORE than a thousand words of explanation.

Couple of questions:
  • Is there a time/mileage recommendation on changing the PCV?
  • What is the approximate price from Ford?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
myblkex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiac69
Where is the one for the 2000 V-10? Is it also in the valve cover?

Bob
+1 I was wondering the same for mine -- figured why not change it as well -- but wondering if anyone had a pic or more info for pre 2003

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 87mh
Couple of questions:
  • Is there a time/mileage recommendation on changing the PCV?
  • What is the approximate price from Ford?

According to the Ford Maintenance Schedule Excursion 2004, The PVC is to be replaced at 120,000 miles. I'm only at 75k miles and it went.

Ford price is $40 with discounts.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by housedad
BTW, for the 2004 and 2005 owners, The PCV Valve is the blue plastic tube affair sticking out of the middle of the passenger side valve cover.

To get the hose off, You need to reach around it and there is a yellow tab sticking out. catch it with your fingernail and pull it away sideways about 1/4 inch from the connector. Do this while you are pulling them apart lightly.

To get the PCV valve out, it is sort of camlocked into the valve cover. Grab it firmly and twist counter clockwise about half a turn. It will come right out.

I wanted to post this since it is so different from the 2000-2003 models, and it took a bit for me to figure out without buggering up the connector or anything else.

You can get them from Rockauto or your dealer. Napa, Autozone, Advanced, and Pep Boys all said the same thing. No reference for it. Even when I gave them the ford part number off the side.

Here is a pick of the valve:

I found the same condition on my plugs, also, the new pcv was brown vs. the original (I'm guessing original) blue one. Perhaps there was a part change? It also appeared to slow down my oil consumption, ~ .25-.3/qt in 2,000 miles.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Yes, mine new one was brown also.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
I can't seem to find mine. I have the replacement in hand, it looks like an old school PCV, but it's no where to be found. 2000 V-10 X. There is a nipple on the drivers side valve cover, but it is just a fitting for the hose from the air intake to connect to. PCV won't fit there. There is a 3 way "christmas tree" on the passenger side valve cover, that has 3 hoses coming out of it. Nothing doing there, either. Any suggestions? Anyone have a 2000 service manual?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Mr_Fast_Bucks
Junior User
There is a 3 way "christmas tree" on the passenger side valve cover, that has 3 hoses coming out of it.
Take another look there, that's where I found mine. It's most likely the heated type. It looks like a regular PCV valve but it has a metal tube wrapped around it. The metal tube is connected to small coolant lines.

I had to order it from the dealer.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
I can't seem to find mine. I have the replacement in hand, it looks like an old school PCV, but it's no where to be found. 2000 V-10 X. There is a nipple on the drivers side valve cover, but it is just a fitting for the hose from the air intake to connect to. PCV won't fit there. There is a 3 way "christmas tree" on the passenger side valve cover, that has 3 hoses coming out of it. Nothing doing there, either. Any suggestions? Anyone have a 2000 service manual?

Thanks,

Bob
That's it.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
It is on the right side. Two of the hoses are coolant lines used to keep the PCV valve warm I am guessing. Why they would do this is beyond me. I had mine off this weekend. Pull it out of the grommet and you will see a horseshoe shaped piece of pipe clipped to the rim of the PCV valve with the two hoses attached. I have never seen one clogged up. If it rattles then it is good. If you replace it then get a grommet as well to prevent leaks.

Perry

Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
A word of warning about the PCV valves

Originally Posted by perryg114
It is on the right side. Two of the hoses are coolant lines used to keep the PCV valve warm I am guessing. Why they would do this is beyond me. I had mine off this weekend. Pull it out of the grommet and you will see a horseshoe shaped piece of pipe clipped to the rim of the PCV valve with the two hoses attached. I have never seen one clogged up. If it rattles then it is good. If you replace it then get a grommet as well to prevent leaks.

Perry
The heated PCV was added to prevent the vapor from icing in the northern climates under certain conditions (Canada). I some point it was removed from Econoline....I think.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 AM
perryg114
More Turbo
Well then maybe I can cap off those lines and eliminate that much extra BS from the engine compartment. Not to mention the possibility of one of those hoses busting or leaking causing problems. I think the newer V10's have an electrically heated PCV valve which sounds like a better solution. Here is one drawing I found in the shop manual but it does not expound at all.

Perry

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
A Word of warning about the PCV valves.

Originally Posted by perryg114
Well then maybe I can cap off those lines and eliminate that much extra BS from the engine compartment. Not to mention the possibility of one of those hoses busting or leaking causing problems. I think the newer V10's have an electrically heated PCV valve which sounds like a better solution. Here is one drawing I found in the shop manual but it does not expound at all.
Perry
Up to you but I'd leave it as is, probably create a leak you don't want or need. Is it causing any problems for you now besides extra plumbing, leaks or ?

Old 09-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Anyone have an extra black plastic fitting from the drivers side valve cover? It has a breather attached to it that goes to the air intake right before the throttle body. It looks like a PCV valve but is hollow.

Mine has a crack in it and Ford does not sell it.

YOU HAVE TO BUY A NEW VALVE COVER!!!!

That is unreal......

Thanks,

Bob

Quick Reply: A Word of warning about the PCV valves.