Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Posting Guru

az_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybear5014 View Post
so on the v10s if im getting this correct you cannot remove the pcv valve its all one piece ? i was looking on autozones web site and it looks like a normal pcv valve that pulls out and you put a new one in.. i have been getting really terrible fuel mileage im currently at 7.9 around town and on the highway cruising at 60mph.
You can replace it. It sits on the passenger side.
There are 2 types. Older trucks use a pcv valve that is heated by a few coolant lines. These only cost a few bucks. Newer trucks have electrically heated pcv valves which cost more.
Both are easily replaceable.

On the drivers side there is a hose that leads to the intake. Don't mess with it. The connector on the valve cover gets brittle and breaks easily.
No replacements available as far as I know.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Junior User

andybear5014 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ok so pcv valve is on the passanger side ? Also looking at replacing plugs how long would you suggest it takes im a mechanic but have never touched a v10
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Posting Guru

az_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybear5014 View Post
Ok so pcv valve is on the passanger side ? Also looking at replacing plugs how long would you suggest it takes im a mechanic but have never touched a v10
Not that bad. Also depends on how well you can reach back there.
I am pretty tall and can reach it well.
I haven't done it on mine (previous owner did it ) but I guess you can do it in 2 hours. Less if all goes well.
The coil-bolts can snap off, or round off.
And you might find some defective coil-boots. I'd replace those anyways if you do plugs. (coil boot + coil spring)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior User

98GP is starting off with a positive reputation.
It looks like I am going to be giving the PCV valve a try.

My 2005 V10 Ex is drinking the oil. She smokes out of the tailpipe at start up and then clears up on days above 30F. However, on days colder than 30F she smokes the whole 25 mile commute to work. I chalked this up to water vapor, condensation until I noticed the oil consumption.

I found and ID'ed the PCV valve and hose. What does the hose end opposite the valve connect to? Throttle body? What are the wires for at this connection point?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Senior User

RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GP View Post
It looks like I am going to be giving the PCV valve a try.

My 2005 V10 Ex is drinking the oil. She smokes out of the tailpipe at start up and then clears up on days above 30F. However, on days colder than 30F she smokes the whole 25 mile commute to work. I chalked this up to water vapor, condensation until I noticed the oil consumption.

I found and ID'ed the PCV valve and hose. What does the hose end opposite the valve connect to? Throttle body? What are the wires for at this connection point?

The PCV is heated to prevent the oil vapor from icing. Evidently it happened on a cold trip and that's why it's there.

Last edited by RobRoss; 02-20-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added content
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Senior User

Yeah I see the wires from the PCV valve on the valve cover and understand heating the valve itself. But, what about the other end of the hose where it attaches to the throttle body? What is going on up there?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Yeah I see the wires from the PCV valve on the valve cover and understand heating the valve itself. But, what about the other end of the hose where it attaches to the throttle body? What is going on up there?
Dumps the air into the intake instead of the open air. emissions thing.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Senior User

icentropy has a good reputation on FTE.icentropy has a good reputation on FTE.
Very interesting read. I'll replace mine as my truck is using up oil faster than I'd like. this might be a cheap $4 fix!

...seems sick an its hungry, its tired an its torn, It looks like its a-dyin an its hardly been born...Dylan
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_r2d1 View Post
Dumps the air into the intake instead of the open air. emissions thing.
Is there sensors at the throttle body to verify this...hence the wires?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Is there sensors at the throttle body to verify this...hence the wires?
Not that I know of.
The wires are to heat the pcv valve, at least on the newer Excursions. The older ones have a coolant heated valve which is much cheaper to replace.

I always wonder if trucks with a lot of crank case fumes won't affect the fuel ratio since it is unmetered air.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Senior User

I am ordering up my PCV valve and hose today. Is the gasket/bushing the PCV valve screws into replaceable?

I have a real thick, duty oil residue built up on the passenger valve cover under the PCV valve. I hope PCV valve change is my ticket to reduce my oil consumption.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Senior User

This was a simple repair. Total time to change over the PCV valve and hose...20 min. It has only been about two weeks...not enough time to see a difference in the oil level. However, I have notice the valve cover around the PCV valve is still clean. When I changed the valve, I cleaned the cover with a rag because it was built up with oil and road grime. I assumed it was so dirty do to the bad PCV valve.

I will report back with an oil consumption update. I hope the new PCV valve and hose slows down the oil consumption, because I am concerned how much the Ex was burning. It felt like a quart/month but do not have numbers to back that up. I dont have any other signs of burning/losing oil...no blue smoke, no spots on the driveway, coolant is clean, oil is black/brown/caramel (not milky). Time will tell if the PCV valve will be the only fix.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Senior User

did not fix oil consumption. Found a new thread...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post14233114
Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Posting Guru

housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.
Some more info I picked up just for the heck of it from the service manual.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System
Overview
The PCV system cycles crankcase gases back through the induction system into the engine where they are burned. The PCV valve regulates the amount of ventilated air and blow-by gases to the intake manifold.
Currently, Ford uses both heated and non-heated PCV systems. The heated systems use either a water heated valve, an electrically heated valve, or an electrically heated tube. Engine coolant flows around the water heated valve to prevent it from freezing. Electrically heated systems use a heating element enclosed in the PCV valve or the PCV tube to prevent the valve or tube from freezing. The valve or the tube heater can be controlled by either the PCM or the thermal harness.
  • Thermal harness controlled heater On vehicle applications that are equipped with a thermal harness to the PCV valve or tube. The thermal harness only provides electrical continuity to the heating element when temperatures are less than 5C +/- 4C (40F +/- 7F). Typically this harness is located close to the PCV valve or tube.
  • PCM controlled heater On these applications the PCV heater is turned on by the PCM. When the intake air temperature is less than 0C (32F) the PCM grounds the positive crankcase ventilation valve heater control (PCVHC) circuit and turns the heater ON. When the intake air temperature exceeds 9C (48F) the heater is turned OFF. The PCV heater is also OFF when the engine is not running to prevent unnecessary battery drain. The heater is also OFF if the vehicle charging system is greater than 16 volts. This minimizes heater element overload.
PCV Types
Heated Tubes
  • PCM controlled (no thermistor in harness)
  • Non-PCM controlled (thermistor in harness)

PCV Valves
  • Non-heated
  • Water heated
  • Non-PCM controlled electrically heated thermistor in harness
  • PCM controlled

Refer to the following figures for examples of these types of PCV valves.
Note: PCV systems that comply with OBD PCV monitoring requirements will use a quarter-turn cam-lock thread design at one end to prevent accidental disconnection from the valve cover. For more information about the PCV monitor refer to PCV System Monitor in this section.
Click the image to open in full size. CAUTION: Do not remove the PCV system from the engine. Removal of the PCV system will adversely affect the fuel economy and engine ventilation and result in shorter engine life.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System Monitor
The PCV monitor consists of a modified PCV system design. The PCV valve is installed into the rocker cover using a quarter-turn cam-lock design to prevent accidental disconnection. High retention force molded plastic lines are used from the PCV valve to the intake manifold. The diameter of the lines and the intake manifold entry fitting are increased so that inadvertent disconnection of the lines after a vehicle is repaired will cause either an immediate engine stall or will not allow the engine to be restarted. In the event that the vehicle does not stall if the line between the intake manifold and PCV valve is inadvertently disconnected, the vehicle will have a large vacuum leak that will cause the vehicle to run lean at idle. This will illuminate the MIL after 2 consecutive driving cycles and will store one or more of the following DTCs: Lack of HO2S sensor switches, bank 1 (P1131 or P2195), Lack of HO2S sensor switches bank 2 (P1151 or P2197), fuel system lean, bank 1 (P0171) or fuel system lean, bank 2 (P0174).

Bion
2005 EXCURSION now called "ZOMBIE CRUSHER" by the kids. XLT V10 Silver More mods than I want to think about.... (see my gallery)
Ford Towing Guides click here Ford Owners Manuals Click here
Watch out for the Zombies.....
Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 AM