Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Word of warning about the PCV valves.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiac69
Rock Auto shows the PCV for less than $4. What does O'Reilley's include for $23? Some of the hoses?

I'm guessin' Rock Auto has the simpler 2000 PCV. O'reilley has the later plastic version?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd sure like to know before I order one

Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM
bonron
New User
Some time age I posted a problem with my PCV on my motorhome/f53. At start up there would be a puff of white smoke and would generally clear up after running for a while. I checked my PCV, and the line leading to the plenum and it was oil soaked! and when I removed the plenum cover I could see a layer of oil at the bottom of the plenum and was the obvious reason why it smoked and there was major oil consumption. after changing several PCV's with no help, I finally removed the PCV and grommet and watched as I revved the engine up and to my surprise, oil was literally filling the space where the CV would normally rest. It reminded me of excessive oil slap and it made sense that with this kind of action, the oil was sucking up the PCV and into the plenum and consequently the smoking at start up and heavy oil consumption. My question is:,, has anybody had a problem like this?,,at oil change I put the required 6 qts, is there too much oil in the engine? the protective box attached to the valve cover and where the PCV sits appears correct and yet oil jumps around like a water show in Vegas. Any ideas,,, thanks

Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
I expect the oil consumption is a symptom of a deeper problem like stuck rings or rings worn out from rust accumulation in the cylinder from your motorhome sitting for long periods of time. Running synthetic in it might help unstick the rings. I would not use any of the snake oil fixes that you will hear about here and other places. Don't put anything in the oil. I would do a compression and leak down test to see what is up with it before doing anything.

After doing the tests you could try using something like WD40 down the plugs hole and crank the engine without the plugs to break loose some of the sludge.

Perry

Old 08-06-2011, 10:43 PM
BigFord74
Senior User
Hey all, glad i found this post. I have a 2005 V10 that all of a sudden has started to use 2qt's every 3k miles. It had just been using 1qt and i was fine with that.

Went to some part's sites and i'm not finding that Blue/Brown PCV Valve as you are showing. They are saying that's for 2004. All i find for my '05 is

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/im...t/pcvvalve.jpg

And Autozone just want's to show me a PCV Hose.

I'm just trying to figure out what mine has, so when i go to the part's stores in the morning i know what i'm looking for. Nothing like the kid behind the counter not having a clue....

Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have an 05, I bought my blue/brown pcv there. It's pricey because it's heated.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:42 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a update with a little more info since people will be reading this for future reference.

The pcv valve is electrically heated, controlled by the PCM, to heat up when the ambient temperature is 32 degrees and below.

Since there is quite a bit of water vapor that evaporates in the engine (mostly brought in from heat/cool cycles much like on the exhaust pipes) the water vapor can condense and freeze in a PCV valve as the engine cools.

Found a nice short article that gives some pcv basics.

What are the Symptoms of a Bad PCV Valve

Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Reporting back my success with changing the '04 (electrically heated) PCV. Oil consumption has stopped completely. I even towed 300+ miles after replacing the PCV and it is still at the same level. Used to burn a quart every 2,000 miles, all the way down to the lower dipstick mark and below.

Mine likes to stay at the mid mark on the oil dipstick. Every time I add any more, it will use down to the mid point and stay there. I have read others experience the same thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
buzter
Senior User
So is there no PCV on the 2005 F250 V10? I looked last night and all I saw was a tube comming from the Passenger side valve cover to the cold air intake...cleaned the tube..and also a tube on the drivers side valve cover going to the side of the intake behind the butterflies..took the connection off back there, has two other rubber lines going to it, which have antifreeze in them, but no PCV that can be found???

Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
The PCV on the 3-valve is inside the valve cover - I've heard that to replace it requires a new valve cover. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 AM
buzter
Senior User
So is it under where the tube connects to the valve cover inlet? That is smart of Ford to do that..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by buzter
So is it under where the tube connects to the valve cover inlet? That is smart of Ford to do that..
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pcv-valve.html

Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
buzter
Senior User
Thks...TrdLtly More or less what they are saying is no there is no external PCV on the 05-06 V10, and it is built into the Drivers Valve cover and there is no replacement unless you replace the whole cover..others are saying just clean it and put it back together...not sure if that is really worth all the trouble??

Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM
metalmelter
New User
Missing adapter on driver's side valve cover?

Originally Posted by Cardiac69
I can't seem to find mine. I have the replacement in hand, it looks like an old school PCV, but it's no where to be found. 2000 V-10 X. There is a nipple on the drivers side valve cover, but it is just a fitting for the hose from the air intake to connect to. PCV won't fit there. There is a 3 way "christmas tree" on the passenger side valve cover, that has 3 hoses coming out of it. Nothing doing there, either. Any suggestions? Anyone have a 2000 service manual?

Thanks,

Bob

At the risk of hi-jacking, but we are on the same topic - on my V10 the adapter is missing (probably hardened over the years and broken off) on the hose going from the air cleaner to the drivers side valve cover. It's nothing fancy but I've been looking everywhere for weeks now to find one. The real Ford shop manual shows a quick picture but nothing like a parts number or anything. It installs like a cam lock feature - not into a grommet like the PCV does. So I have a hose just sitting there with no way to connect it. Found the issue during a smoke test. It's a straight fitting maybe an inch or so in length - not bent at 90 degrees like others.

Does anyone have a Ford part number or a link I can go to besides the dealership? I'm going crazy trying to find one.

The truck is a 2001 F350 4X4, w/ 6.8L, auto, XLT if that helps.

Thanks for any and all help!!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 PM
BlackCat94
New User
Originally Posted by metalmelter
At the risk of hi-jacking, but we are on the same topic - on my V10 the adapter is missing (probably hardened over the years and broken off) on the hose going from the air cleaner to the drivers side valve cover. It's nothing fancy but I've been looking everywhere for weeks now to find one. The real Ford shop manual shows a quick picture but nothing like a parts number or anything. It installs like a cam lock feature - not into a grommet like the PCV does. So I have a hose just sitting there with no way to connect it. Found the issue during a smoke test. It's a straight fitting maybe an inch or so in length - not bent at 90 degrees like others.

Does anyone have a Ford part number or a link I can go to besides the dealership? I'm going crazy trying to find one.

The truck is a 2001 F350 4X4, w/ 6.8L, auto, XLT if that helps.

Thanks for any and all help!!
I had that same fitting break off on me (which is how I ended up in this thread) when I went to pull the hose while removing the intake tube to access the spark plugs. So far no solutions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Word of warning about the PCV valves.