Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 AM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
OK, got tired of not fully understanding this birds nest of of a PCV, so I dug into it today (was doing the heater valve replacement and was in the neighborhood, so why not?).

Now i understand the 'heated' valve. Heated with coolant. It yanked right out, pulled the 3 hoses (on a 2000 V10) and sprayed her out with some carb cleaner. Works like a charm (worked ok before cleaning too).

Some pic's below. No, mpg benefit expected.
Attached Images

Join the So Cal chapter here
Be Like Steve

Last edited by wpnaes; 05-01-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: PVC= PCV...?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 AM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
A few more pics...

First pic is removal of a vacuum hose that get's in the way.

Don't forget to reconnect.
Attached Images

Be Like Steve
Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 AM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

Ok, just a few more pics...

Really does this need to be heated with coolant???

Does it freeze up on a cold morning? and all hell breaks loose?
Attached Images

Be Like Steve
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Elder User

Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.
Awesome! Thanks for taking the effort to do this. Rep points to you!!
Prodigy Brake Controller - Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch
2009 Palomino Puma 26BHSS
Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac69 View Post
Anyone have an extra black plastic fitting from the drivers side valve cover? It has a breather attached to it that goes to the air intake right before the throttle body. It looks like a PCV valve but is hollow.

Mine has a crack in it and Ford does not sell it.

YOU HAVE TO BUY A NEW VALVE COVER!!!!

That is unreal......

Thanks,

Bob
Bob, didja ever find one?

Be Like Steve
Old 05-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Elder User

Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Bob, didja ever find one?
No, I gorilla glued it back together and it has been fine.

Thanks for asking!!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Senior User

Ridenred333 is starting off with a positive reputation.
so what is the plastic thing sticking out of the other valve cover on the left side. mine broke when i pulled on the hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by housedad View Post
BTW, for the 2004 and 2005 owners, The PCV Valve is the blue plastic tube affair sticking out of the middle of the passenger side valve cover.

To get the hose off, You need to reach around it and there is a yellow tab sticking out. catch it with your fingernail and pull it away sideways about 1/4 inch from the connector. Do this while you are pulling them apart lightly.

To get the PCV valve out, it is sort of camlocked into the valve cover. Grab it firmly and twist counter clockwise about half a turn. It will come right out.

I wanted to post this since it is so different from the 2000-2003 models, and it took a bit for me to figure out without buggering up the connector or anything else.

You can get them from Rockauto or your dealer. Napa, Autozone, Advanced, and Pep Boys all said the same thing. No reference for it. Even when I gave them the ford part number off the side.

Here is a pick of the valve:

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:51 PM
New User

superjocko is starting off with a positive reputation.
^ The fitting on the opposite valve cover attaches to the hose that allows fresh air into the crankcase. The circulation of air throughout the crankcase, or "ventilation", wouldn't be possible unless air was admitted somewhere. In addition, under conditions of low engine vacuum (large throttle openings) the blow-by gases that are not being cleared from the engine by the PCV valve are free to enter the intake tract through that fitting and hose on the opposite valve cover. They can then be pulled through the throttle body with the rushing intake air and into the intake manifold, ultimately to be burned in the engine. Regardless of whether we have vacuum or not, the blow-by gases will be burned in the combustion chambers, rather than released to the atmosphere.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Posting Guru

jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
housedad's instructions for removal were spot on and the job took only minutes start to finish. Currently Oreiley Auto Parts has the Motorcraft electrically heated PVC for $23.

My oil consumption was pretty significant and when I removed the old PCV, I could still shake it and hear the ball move around but it definately sounded encumbered and not clean like the new one.

I will report back afer a few thousand miles to see if consumption has reduced with just the change.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
NEWBIE BUT PREMIUM

loleuiha is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac69 View Post
Where is the one for the 2000 V-10? Is it also in the valve cover?

Bob
Yes Bob Pass side Valve cover right in the middle.

Laki

2000 Ford Excursion Limited 6.8 V-10
4X2.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Postmaster

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
I usually burn about a quart and a half of oil on my round trips to TN. from FL. (round trip and local cruising about 2500 miles). Highway speeds 70-80mph.

I cant believe I only used up about half a quart on this last trip.

The only engine related part I replaced before this trip was the PCV and the vacuum hoses that touch it.

WOW! Great Info Here!
05 LTD 4x4, PSD, ARP, Tuner, Cat Delete, K&N CAI,4" Exhaust w 6" SS Tip, 5" Lift, air bags & RAS, 35's Terra Grapplers on Fuel Wheels, Bilstein 5100's with Dual stabilizers, Twin air, train horn, Amp Research, Rigid Industries, F&R Mag Hytec, Pioneer Nav, 2010 OEM mirrors, DC 270 amp, Blue spring, much more...02 LTD 4X4, V10 Sold
"I bought a 6.0 PSD and I'm not afraid"
Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
New User

stephen44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was burning so much oil i was getting quotes for an engine replacement !!!!

I had already checked the PCV - it passed the rattle test - but decided to replace anyways as it was $3.90 vs $7000

Guess what - oil consumption dropped to an acceptable level

So I would recommend everyone to swap it at the next service - just in case - what's $3.90.

BTW this is the heated one on a 2001 V10

- Stephen
Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Posting Guru

housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen44 View Post
I was burning so much oil i was getting quotes for an engine replacement !!!!

I had already checked the PCV - it passed the rattle test - but decided to replace anyways as it was $3.90 vs $7000

Guess what - oil consumption dropped to an acceptable level

So I would recommend everyone to swap it at the next service - just in case - what's $3.90.

BTW this is the heated one on a 2001 V10

- Stephen

excellent!

Bion
2005 EXCURSION now called "ZOMBIE CRUSHER" by the kids. XLT V10 Silver More mods than I want to think about.... (see my gallery)
Ford Towing Guides click here Ford Owners Manuals Click here
Watch out for the Zombies.....
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 AM
New User

Shilohii65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, I was sold two smaller, bare metal pcv valves, and told "there are two on that model." Last time I will FULLY rely on the parts guy at a retailer to inform me of what my parts are. I found the valve mentioned above (the larger, blue plastic, twist type), and found that O'Reilly's carries the part for $23.00. I'll go pick one up today. Thanks for the conformation here.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilohii65 View Post
Yeah, I was sold two smaller, bare metal pcv valves, and told "there are two on that model." Last time I will FULLY rely on the parts guy at a retailer to inform me of what my parts are. I found the valve mentioned above (the larger, blue plastic, twist type), and found that O'Reilly's carries the part for $23.00. I'll go pick one up today. Thanks for the conformation here.
Rock Auto shows the PCV for less than $4. What does O'Reilley's include for $23? Some of the hoses?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:51 PM