Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Junior User

kylebryan is starting off with a positive reputation.
integrated trailer brake controller

I have a 2008 f-250 with the integrated brake controller and when i hook it up to my trailer it wont come on. When i manually slide the slider to activate the brakes it activates the brakes on the trailer. I checked the wiring all the way back to the brakes and everything is good so im not sure whats up with it. Just weird how if i manually engage the brakes it says "trailer disconnected" but still activates the brakes. Any ideas?

2010 F-250 CC/SB FX4 Lariat. 4" Straight pipe exhaust, Spartan tuner and AFE PG7 intake
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
"Mifflin Clay"

alchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to behold
First guess - poor ground in trailer. Check the ground pin in the trailer side connector (plug) to be sure it's really grounded to the trailer frame and making good connection to the pin in the truck socket..
'08 F350 Scab SRW V10 w/ 4:10
07 Gulfstream Prarie Schooner
'05 Escape
' Passed the exam today! I am now a licensed instigator!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchymist View Post
First guess - poor ground in trailer. Check the ground pin in the trailer side connector (plug) to be sure it's really grounded to the trailer frame and making good connection to the pin in the truck socket..
I actually just put a new plug on th trailer wire and sprayed out my plug on the bumper with contact cleaner. the lights and everything work like a champ its just the brakes that dont activate the controller.

Ive been thinking its the ground too because i was pulling my 5er the other day and it came on for a few minutes and worked just fine. then it started blinking off an on. this is starting to get old....

2010 F-250 CC/SB FX4 Lariat. 4" Straight pipe exhaust, Spartan tuner and AFE PG7 intake
Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
are you sure the brakes are connected to the correct pin on the trailer side?

...are you sure that your manual slider is actually braking the trailer? What you described will happen even if no trailer is connected.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Elder User

fireman28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine does the same thing. One of my trailers it shows everything is fine(newer trailer) on another it shows disconnected but they work. I have had it in show 3 times to figure it out and no luck. New magnets, new plug, and wiring confirmed. It does this on both of my trucks with factory controllers, but if I hook it to my 150 with a P3 controller it works fine. I think it is just an issues with some of the brake systems on some older trailers. I don't worry about it because they do work even when it shows disconnected. Just my .02
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
are you sure the brakes are connected to the correct pin on the trailer side?

...are you sure that your manual slider is actually braking the trailer? What you described will happen even if no trailer is connected.
Yes im absolutely sure its connected correctly. And how do i know its braking you ask? Well, when i slide the slider it stops the truck. duh! The controller just isnt coming on when the trailer is hooked up.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
I hope you are not depending on the trailer being hooked to the truck thru the hitch as your ground! This is the most common problem. Unhitch the trailer from the truck, then see if you still have running lights on the trailer.

If no, you need to run a heavy gage ground wire thru the 7-way plugs. Or check the electrical plugs for rust/bad ground. Esp on the truck... water seems to corrode the wiring on the truck end INSIDE the connector.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
Some older trailers have substandard wiring. The gauge of the wire is too small causing the controller to think there is a poor or no connection. The no-frills controllers will work on these trailers, but the high end ones with diagnostic capabilities go stupid.

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Seriously, it is usually the ground connection at the trailer frame. Check it and clean it, then reattach and coat with some grease or Vaseline.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Junior User

ISUsuperduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same thing is happening on my truck, '08 F-250. What I have read on this issue is that water will get into the back of the 7 pin connector on the truck side. You can remove the harness from the bracket (that the trailer plug mates to) and inspect for water / corrosion. Unfortunatley I haven't been home to try this out and see if it works myself, but it's one of the first things I'm doing before hooking on the the trailer. If it's happening on two trailers, I'd say it's the truck. From what I've read, and what others have said here, is that these TBC systems are very picky to corrosion and other wire issues.

Best of luck and let us know, there are plenty more with this problem.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Did you ever try an "ohm the brake leads on the two trailers and compare resistance. I'm just curious as it seems like this must be a connection issue somewhere.

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM