1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

which engine do I use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH? Sorry Blue Oval Rage/you pretty much said the same .
I gotta read more/quicker or at least better.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Agrajag
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
i can laugh at that one jule's !!!!!! the 53 has been down what a year and a half now , the 52 just had the wiring go out , but it's actually quite a pleasant suprise as far as fuel goes , prolly 18-20 as a rough estimate , but i spend more than my fair share by beating on the 95 a lot .......................... it has led a bit of a rough life { but cared for !! } whilst in my possession !!!!!!!!!!! next spring though bessie should hopefully be back and the 52 if the dain schedule will cooperate will be back by the end of the month and i can tick off some more tree huggers !!!!!!!!!! got a set of 3.73's and a trac lock for the bird , that ought to kill it's mileage some ................. yep i'm smiling and laughing about it ...... i can afford to do it so i will !!!!!!!!!
Hey, your truck looks like it's matching the green on my 53 F250 exactly! Is that Greenbriar Green or something else?

Also, I'm feeling kind of optimistic about the mileage you're getting out of your truck. Are you running a 239 flathead? If so, did you do anything to maximize your gas mileage?

I really do plan to use my truck as a daily driver, so I was hoping to prioritize mileage over anything else. Of course, I'd rather stick with the flathead motor if I can. It may seem a bit odd, but I would appreciate any advice to tune that classic motor for mileage if at all possible.

Power is such an afterthought to me ... I just can't wait to be driving down the road in that beautiful time machine

Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget
I glanced through this thread and I may have missed something, but Julie hints at it, and If it were me "today", I'd go with one of the modern Ford injected V8's with a computer and overdrive tranny. I'd just buy a unit at a salvage yard or just buy the whole car and remove all etc.

I realized you didn't mention this among your choices, and the only modern motor/tranny I have is in my 92Ranger 2.3L, but from the articles I read in HotRod mag etc. These modern V8's are just becoming suuuch a great value with power/fuel economy/green theme etc.

I'd just "have to go" that way.

I've got a good collection of Ford mechanicals, but I wouldn't start something new with last generation technology. I'm not an expert on all the new stuff--but I'd study and learn. I think on every level its the best option available.

Goodluck
That's a really good point Tom, but the real question is if it will actually physically fit in the truck! With my 390 install, I have spaces and clearances for some critical items that are measured in FRACTIONS of inches!

I have one item (my transmission shift rod) that is so close in tolerance, that if I adjust it 2 turns of a fine head nut too long, it binds up behind the brake pedal.

I look under the hoods of the modern trucks and see 50% engine and 50% supprt crap - in a far larger engine compartment than we have, and can not see daylight coming up from the floor.

And that's another point to this discussion is the amount of modification you will have to perform on the chassis to get either engine to fit. Neither is horrible, but with a 390C6 combo there will be quite a bit more than a 351W with AOD.

That 3.0 V6 I have in the Ranger is ok, but towing up a hill, the Ranger has the gas pedal to the floor and won't keep up. With the F1 with the 390 will actually accelerate up a big hill loaded and pulling trailer.

I've never had the nerve to floor the gas pedal on the F1. I started to one day but by the time I had it half way to the floor, I was involuntarily sitting back in the bed of the truck and my foot had come off the pedal!!!!!

The power difference between the two is phenominal! And FE is latin for "Torque"

Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
denverslim
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recommend the 337cu inch Lincoln, Ford Truck Flathead!
BTW, I have one taking up space in my garage....slim

(what happened to the little guy laughing an banging his fist on the bar?)

Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by denverslim
I recommend the 337cu inch Lincoln, Ford Truck Flathead!
BTW, I have one taking up space in my garage....slim

(what happened to the little guy laughing an banging his fist on the bar?)
The "Smileys" rotate to the "Big" Smiley Page.

Click on the [More] on the bottom of the "on page" Smiley Chart and find him on the big page......

Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
as far as my flatty in the truck , here's what i can tell you as i got it / po told me . it is a 8ba flatty , , supposedley has a " mild cam " , has headers and duals , stock intake and carb . optimized for mileage never , not that you can call any thing with 3.92 rear gears a fuel sipper . i just replaced the valvesprings in it getting ready to put some eab heads on it too bump compression up a lil' and i don't know for sure which way on the carb , either a bigger version of the 94 style that ross turned me onto or a rochester 2 jet , and electronic ignition . it ran sweet other than the failed valvespring , and electrical gremmie's that have her sidelined . the truck gets 8-9 mpg . now the 52 mentioned is the 52 customline 2 door . it has an all oe 8rt flatty in it { the eab is in peices under my bench came with it from the original p.o's great granddaughter } and unknown gears yet . she cruised down the road to new berlin from springpatch about 26 miles each way on I-72 at 70 mph real comfortably and not under any duress , and barely moved the fuel gauge . it shows maybe just under an eigth of a tank missing from full . it's down now too due to ancient delapidated wiring . getting rewired , an alternator , and 12 volts then petronix . i think it's got an 18-20 gallon tank so do some math ......... all i know is she too is a sweet runner . my buddy norm has an oe 3 speed overdrive and wiring , etc. on a flatty he bought i turned him onto . i'm trying to barter with him for it for the 52 .................

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
oh and if anything this thread show's that there are two distinct schools of thought , those who like the old , innefficient ways , and those the new . i did not say the new was bad so don't anyone go thinking that as that 95 bird i bought is quite a suprising lil' ride . what mods it has had it responded to rather nicely , and is quite efficient . it'll stick around me thinks , but like i said it is not the two i derive the most pleasure from !!!!!!!! i like old bloated dinosaurs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by F100man
Need your guys opinion on a motor choice. First choice is a 390 with an original all aluminum 6 pak intake i have had for some time. This was my first choice due to the fact i have seen very few effies with 6 pak's. Second choice is 351 carburated motor with overdrive trans. This choice is being considered due to fuel economy and the fact that i plan on driving to a lot of shows. I trust your guys opinion so let me know what you think
From your pics I see you've got at least one completed truck with a really nice looking motor and its a 56? Which year F100 would this motor be going into? confused as usual Because Julie makes good points regarding fit etc. Of course Julie has a smaller-in general F1. Or at least the cabs are smaller--aren't they? F1's narrower etc, i believe in general. And she's right of course fit is a huge deal/its gota fit.

Have you googled around looking for other 56's with a modern EFI Ford V8/with overdrive tranny? Here's a link to just one I quickly saw for sale at what appears to be a pro shop: this might give you an idea

Sammy's Rod Shop - 56 Ford F-100****** ***For SALE Call for info***

I didn't study this guys setup closely-Rushed as usual sorry-but this might be worth looking at and I'm sure its just an example of lots of work being done.

Dont' get me wrong I'm sure the 390 with a 6 pak would be totally cool retro/I'm just projecting about how nice it would be to delve into modern tech.

Goodluck

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on your vision of your truck. If you get a kick out of burning tires and having folks at shows compliment your engine, go for the 390. If you want to drive alot and the gas prices are an issue, the 351 is a better choice. I agree with Julie, I have a 289/c4 and I can still spin the wheels and it's not so thirsty. It's your truck, do what you want.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
green53
Mountain Pass
Put progressive linkage on the 6 pack, run with the centre carb until half throttle, then adjust the 2 'secondaries' to start opening, make all 3 open fully at pedal floored. I have a six pack for my flatty! A caution here, you can tinker with a 6 pack forever! I am not sure but the next generation after the C6 was an overdrive version, they put behind 460's might see if it works on FE blocks? Cheers.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
If you're really going with the 6 pack on a 390, I'd stay with the C6 - VERY strong.

And I can tell you for a fact that other than passing a semi on a hill you will only "floor" that set up one time in an F-series truck and be so sufficiently terrified that you will never do it again unless you are a complete fool! Guaranteed!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
some of us were just born FOOLISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
55f100tx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it were me, i would ask myself, what else would i put a 390 fe tri power into if not my truck? if i dont have an answer i would put it in the truck. That being said, ive got a couple of fe's with C6 transmissions, but im putting a fresh built 302 in my 55 this winter. I just like hi revving small blocks better, Besides im well stocked with performance parts from my Son in laws Mustang drag car.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
And I can tell you for a fact that other than passing a semi on a hill you will only "floor" that set up one time in an F-series truck and be so sufficiently terrified that you will never do it again unless you are a complete fool! Guaranteed![/quote]

Amen to that Sister !! I am hesitant to apply near full throttle at 25 MPH since it wants to swap ends .Later , Denny

Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
If you're really going with the 6 pack on a 390, I'd stay with the C6 - VERY strong.

And I can tell you for a fact that other than passing a semi on a hill you will only "floor" that set up one time in an F-series truck and be so sufficiently terrified that you will never do it again unless you are a complete fool! Guaranteed!
chicken.....have a look at the 429 in the snake.......lol

Quick Reply: which engine do I use?