Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stack Exhaust anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 AM
AmericanMade
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stack Exhaust anyone?

So I’m in the market for a new exhaust system for my truck (see signature). I’m fairly certain on what I’m wanting, but general discussion on exhaust systems is greatly appreciated.

What I’m looking at right now is a 4” Turbo back dual SMOKERS Stack system from MBRP (purchased at Riffraff because, as always, he has the best prices & free shipping). The stacks themselves will be the 5" Angle Cut, 36" Black Finish Stack, mostly because the future “theme” of my truck will be all blacked out (except for the red paint and all), so a black stack exhaust system is required (I plan on 2000* BBQ painting the rest of the system to help protect it as well).

MBRP 4" Turbo Back Stack Kit

5" Angle Cut, 36" Black Finish Stack

Here’s my issue, and I’ve PM’d Ray (1999SuperDutyStroke) because he has the same set up as mine so perhaps he can shed some light on this dilemma. I have a supercab short bed, and the problem is that there is a rear frame cross member that is right near where the Y pipe would go (I’m assuming this only because I don’t really know where the exhaust routes in stack systems… no instructions online for MBRP). So does anyone know/have pictures of how the system routes under the truck?

Also if you would like to discuss the pros and cons of stack systems (like rain water… My uncle who’s a truck drive said that they drill a small hole in the bottom of their exhaust so that rain can exit…. Anyone done this or not worries about it?). I’m hear to learn knowing full well that a “regular” 4” turbo back system is like $400 and this stack system is more like $700 but how about a combined show and go?

Thanks for your help everyone,

-Jon

P.S. As an FYI I’m not excited about drilling holes in my bed… but I will get over it listening to the exhaust (I’ve listened to enough stack systems that I love the sound of them… and exhaust drone is not something I’m going to care about. Friend of mine has THE loudest exhaust I’ve ever heard on a street car… and it drones something fierce on the highway. But like I told him… you can’t get into his car and not smile once he steps on the throttle )

Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a stack set up on my truck as well. The cross member that he is talking about ( I think) is the same one that all of us have to deal with and it is a bed support. The Y pipe goes inside the bed. I moved my hole forward just a little bit to clear it.

My truck is loud plain ans simple you can hear the exhaust on the highway for sure along with the whistle of the 38R

I can take a few pics if you want I will not have time to post them until much later tonight though. It is a very easy system to install.

We had torrential rains here this spring and I didnt have any problems with the water in them. If there is a little bit it gets 'misted' out when you start it.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say if that is what you like go for it. That type of stuff is strictly a personal preference. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

As for the actual install I cannot help. I have the 4" all the way to the back on a crew cab. Good luck and someone will chime in eventually that has done this.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
AmericanMade
Junior User
yeah there is that frame cross member that is about 4-5 inches from the front of the bed. Theres the bed channel (which I know has to be cut out of the way) but the frame one is the one I was curious about. Thought that maybe had to "trim" a little bit of it to get the y pipe to fit.

Also I guess the only other question I thought of was that since I have a early 99, do I have to worry about the downpipe not fitting because I have a different turbo than the 99.5-2003 trucks? or is the exhaust housing on it the same?

Thanks for the help guys, and megawatt, I can wait for pictures, havn't bought anything YET . Also sounds good that I don't need to worry about the rain... it doesnt really rain here in NC... it POURS

Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
AmericanMade
Junior User
*BUMP* Back to the top to see if anyone else has some thoughts on the subject

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Here is a pic or two of the MBRP black 5" anlge cuts installed. I shot all the in bed piping with High Heat gloss black, and it has held up quite well.

Tell Clay that you want this kind of stack clamp. IT DOES NOT COME WITH THE MBRP KIT, but can be purchased seperatley.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 AM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
Thats a nice friggin setup! Dig the truck man. Looks fantastic. I wonder how mine would look with bedrail high stacks..... Not sure if I wanna go all the way up or what. But I'll start thinkin more about that when I can have some extra money to play with....In a few years lol.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Do the stacks block the view on the sides when backing up? I love Brandon's red and black look. If I could have the same setup with the stacks just a bit lower I would be all over it!

My other thing is that I have often thought about a topper be it canvas or fiberglass, that is one of the hold ups of stacks for me right now.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 AM
AmericanMade
Junior User
That is a sick setup for sure! Thanks for the pictures... My truck (hopefully) will look just like that... except a little scrunched (super cab short bed). I like the gloss on the in bed pips too. I didn't know they made glass bbq paint. I'll define tally have to get a couple cans of that.

Sooo my only questions that came up from that pic are:

What are those clamps called so I can ask Clay when I order (and about how much $)
Is wrapping the downpipe a fruitful idea or is that really only beneficial to the guys running drag trucks to keep under hood heat down?
Annnd How did you route the exhaust under the truck? 5 inch hole in the bed and then how did you get around that frame cross-member?

Thanks for the help and pictures!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AmericanMade
That is a sick setup for sure! Thanks for the pictures... My truck (hopefully) will look just like that... except a little scrunched (super cab short bed). I like the gloss on the in bed pips too. I didn't know they made glass bbq paint. Actually its high temp engine enamel found at my local oriellys store. Since I used the aluminized kit, I opted to prime the pipe with zinc chromate. I'll define tally have to get a couple cans of that.

Sooo my only questions that came up from that pic are:

What are those clamps called so I can ask Clay when I order (and about how much $) I actually got them from a big truck chrome store. about $15 each, but they hold the weight of the stacks much better than the flimsy little bracket that comes with the kit.
Is wrapping the downpipe a fruitful idea or is that really only beneficial to the guys running drag trucks to keep under hood heat down? dont waste your time, it will not show an appreceable difference on the street.
Annnd How did you route the exhaust under the truck? 5 inch hole in the bed and then how did you get around that frame cross-member? i am not sure if its just the difference between a CC and a SC but there is no cross member anywhere near my piping.

Thanks for the help and pictures!
See above.....

Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM
AmericanMade
Junior User
Soo easiest way to describe what I'm talking about is with pictures... so let's see if this helps.

Red Arrow is Frame Cross Member
Yellow Arrow is Bed Cross Member
Blue Arrow is heat Shield
Green Arrow is Muffler

*Note All pictures are taken while laying under the truck feet out from the passenger side, and more or less looking towards the back:

So this is the "frame cross member" I was talking about. I haven't measured anything but it just looks like the Y-Pipe might hit that and force me to cut that. I don't want to notch part of my frame. Obviously the heat shield will have to be removed/modified... that ok.

Sooooo now that you can see my dilemma.. what you all think?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by AmericanMade
Soo easiest way to describe what I'm talking about is with pictures... so let's see if this helps.

Red Arrow is Frame Cross Member
Yellow Arrow is Bed Cross Member
Blue Arrow is heat Shield
Green Arrow is Muffler

*Note All pictures are taken while laying under the truck feet out from the passenger side, and more or less looking towards the back:

So this is the "frame cross member" I was talking about. I haven't measured anything but it just looks like the Y-Pipe might hit that and force me to cut that. I don't want to notch part of my frame. Obviously the heat shield will have to be removed/modified... that ok.

Sooooo now that you can see my dilemma.. what you all think?
I see your dilemma,i'd be spraying a bit of rustkill under there,geez i can see why ya big on stainless steel exhaust's over there..

Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by Quick444
Do the stacks block the view on the sides when backing up? I love Brandon's red and black look. If I could have the same setup with the stacks just a bit lower I would be all over it!

My other thing is that I have often thought about a topper be it canvas or fiberglass, that is one of the hold ups of stacks for me right now.
Same here,im building meself a canvas/ally checker plate canopy atm,so the stack option is a no go..

Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

I see your dilemma,i'd be spraying a bit of rustkill under there,geez i can see why ya big on stainless steel exhaust's over there..

Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
The kit will come with an intermediate pipe that runs on the INSIDE of the frame rail. When you loose the heat shield you will be suprised at how much room you have. I will try to take some pics of mine this evening when I get home.

Quick Reply: Stack Exhaust anyone?