Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 air pump delete - what belt??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 03:51 PM
jeffohc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, mine is 3" - 3-1/8" or so, i'm not sure but i think the cat IS part of the downpipe, i didn't really look behind it that good. but will. & try an get some pic's.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:28 AM
jeffohc
Freshman User
exhaust pic's

well, got the Y pipe repaired, muffler shop made a new end for the 1 side to bolt to the exh.manifold. ( new stud kit / dorman, i got at advance auto with brass nut's even ) swapped cat out for a piece of 3" i had from NOS-IHC stock i had laying around, got it to fit, clamped together , then fired the ole girl up an damn, if my manifold gasket ain't leaking. i kinda figured if i got it all solid that it'd find a weak spot. just barely though. but i think i can access the exhaust manifold by taking the dog house/engine cover off, since it's a 460-in a coachmen M.home. belt does squeal a bit on start up for a lil while, i guess to stop that would be to put on a belt tensioner. but it don't bother me all that much, once warmed up it quit's. FOUND 2 broken exh.manifold bolt's. and the 1 ahead of the rear, near # 3 cyl., is broke off inside the head, past the gasket surface. that will have to wait till spring time, R & R head's. can't get a drill in there, might be able to if i unhook the engine mount's and jacked up the engine. that's a warmer time of year job. it sealed up after warm up.

Attached Images     

Last edited by jeffohc; 10-17-2016 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-30-2018, 06:55 PM
budvoss
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MariosF250
Wow, this thread was brought back from 2003!! i'm so glad too, since i have been searching for a fix to delete my loud Squeaking Smog pump..

Thanks
Mario
I just did this to my 89 MH along with the cat delete..My old motorhome is like a new girl. Great thread with lots of great info

Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
OK guys, I'm building a '53 C500 with a '96 EFI460. The "S" shaped throttle body elbow is sticking up in my floorboard more than I want. I've found a low profile Holley throttle body kit that replaces all of that but I'm wondering about all the other stuff. I'm going to move the coil off the valve cover. Can I remove the EGR and all of the air pump lines without the '96 computer freaking out? I won't have a check engine light to worry about, I just want it to run good. Thanks in advance,
Ken.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Newman
OK guys, I'm building a '53 C500 with a '96 EFI460. The "S" shaped throttle body elbow is sticking up in my floorboard more than I want. I've found a low profile Holley throttle body kit that replaces all of that but I'm wondering about all the other stuff. I'm going to move the coil off the valve cover. Can I remove the EGR and all of the air pump lines without the '96 computer freaking out? I won't have a check engine light to worry about, I just want it to run good. Thanks in advance,
Ken.
Very cool truck!!! I can't answer your question, but I salute you.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Speckledwolf
New User
I know this is an old thread but just FYI this flange is still sold on eBay and also fits the 460 engine.

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Now that's GREAT news!

Can't tell you how many times (I'm mostly in the 7.3L diesel forum) I've had someone tell me something and it seemed impossible for them to know, but...LOL

Here's what I just received today: Catalytic Converter Repair Flange Fits 87 99 Ford F250 F350 E250 E350 5 8L | eBay

The description says 3" outlet, I think the exhaust is 2.5", but I'll know more in a day or so.

$37.05 with tax vs MUCH, MUCH more from other sources...and the flange gasket is included!

My plan is to measure everything up and temporarily install a straight pipe from the flange to the muffler and run it this way until we're sure we addressed all the other issues. No sense killing another cat

Once we're satisfied we, being the responsible citizens we are in spite of being emissions exempt, will purchase an aftermarket cat in the sub $100 range instead of the $400-$600 to replace the one with the inbuilt flange.

If anyone is interested, I can take pics and parts and stuff, just in case anyone else needs to setup a "test pipe"

Old 07-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappawheely
Very cool truck!!! I can't answer your question, but I salute you.
I just saw this. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Troy Roberts
New User
1991 E350 EFI 460 air pump delete

Originally Posted by Speckledwolf
I know this is an old thread but just FYI this flange is still sold on eBay and also fits the 460 engine.
great threat about to delete my air pump and cat on my 91 E350 C class rv. Tons of info in this thread. Any tips or things I should know would be great. Thanks

Old 05-22-2021, 01:33 PM
beikaigun
New User
I know this is an old thread and I am new here. I am working on restoring an 86 Ford F250 with a 7.5L 460 back to function and one of the things bad on it is AC. There is no belt and it looks like the Air Pump/Smog Pump has been fully removed. I've been searching for belt routing yet haven't found anything. Anybody willing to post pics?

Here in Utah, since the truck is over 30 and will be used in a reserve capacity, it qualifies for vintage plates. Vintage plates means it legally doesn't need to pass emissions either. Instead, I'm using it to help my kids understand how a standard transmission works and to get experience with a larger vehicle. It also allows me and a few neighbors to have hauling capacity and such. I hope to get the AC fixed. First thing is to see if the existing assembly works or if the belt was removed because the Smog pump was removed and tension pully is seized. If the ac compressor is bad, then I'll look to replacing it.

"Fun" times. Previous owner really didn't take too good of care of it, yet I guess it helps to learn a few things...

Old 05-22-2021, 05:06 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
Received 691 Likes on 512 Posts
Originally Posted by beikaigun
I know this is an old thread and I am new here. I am working on restoring an 86 Ford F250 with a 7.5L 460 back to function and one of the things bad on it is AC. There is no belt and it looks like the Air Pump/Smog Pump has been fully removed. I've been searching for belt routing yet haven't found anything. Anybody willing to post pics?
Here in Utah, since the truck is over 30 and will be used in a reserve capacity, it qualifies for vintage plates. Vintage plates means it legally doesn't need to pass emissions either. Instead, I'm using it to help my kids understand how a standard transmission works and to get experience with a larger vehicle. It also allows me and a few neighbors to have hauling capacity and such. I hope to get the AC fixed. First thing is to see if the existing assembly works or if the belt was removed because the Smog pump was removed and tension pully is seized. If the ac compressor is bad, then I'll look to replacing it.
"Fun" times. Previous owner really didn't take too good of care of it, yet I guess it helps to learn a few things...
check post #5-->Ford 460 Belt Diagram? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
O, welcome to FTE
you may have better luck posting in Bullnose section-->1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 05-23-2021, 02:56 PM
kevinv10
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts
Check this post. Should answer all questions on a 460 air pump delete.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19802026
I've got about 3,000 miles since the delete, including towing our 5th wheel several times.. Zero issues, no CEL. Truck runs perfectly.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:13 AM
beikaigun
New User
Originally Posted by kevinv10
Check this post. Should answer all questions on a 460 air pump delete.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19802026
I've got about 3,000 miles since the delete, including towing our 5th wheel several times.. Zero issues, no CEL. Truck runs perfectly.
Wow, you did A LOT of work! Well beyond what I feel capable of at this point. This truck is sort of a "learner" of sorts before I use it to salvage my old high school '86 Ranger from my parents and do a more extensive rebuild. Smaller engine (2.3L Lima), EFI, no 4x4, no AC (although I might put AC in if possible, where I live now gets a lot hotter than home...)

Yet pulling the 460 out and attempting a rebuild seems a bit beyond at this point, at least for now. She has four engine related issues at present though:
- She leaks a little oil off of both her oil pan and her valve covers. I say "a little" because it isn't enough to really require additional oil added very often. But then, she isn't driven very often.
- At idle, she often sounds like she's about to die, especially after initial start, and sometimes does. Doing research, I suspect vacuum issues but haven't gone through all the plugs yet to see if it might be there.
- AC is unattached/unpowered and compressor is easy to spin (told that means it lacks freon and will require conversion, one step at a time though, need to get her spinning)
- She is leaking something else, and it looks like power steering fluid. Comes off of the forward axle.

In addition, I am trying to recondition the interior. Previous owner snapped both the cables for accessing the back area (extended cab) and I was able to find replacements (one damaged) in a junked truck at a pick n pull. The back area still needs A LOT of work. Console lights are dim and probably need replacement. Radio was removed and harness cut. The shades hang down (bad springs) and the back seat seems to need a replacement spring too... back window latch is missing and it looks like it was caulked into place. There is an unknown "switch" installed near the steering column by the trailer brake, still wired, no idea what it is. Tow hitch assembly is in unknown state, spare tire rack is in unknown state (spare tire is in bed)....

Country boys and the way they sometimes treat their trucks..... At least I'm LEARNING a lot from her!

Old 06-03-2021, 06:58 PM
unilover6163
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
I also had a bad CAT last summer.
Removed exhaust from the large rectangular Crossover Flange (for the CAT) on back.
Got two 30-degree elbows for 4" pipe and welded them to the replacement CAT flange then ran an APE Power 4" diesel exhaust I located on an salvaged F350 7.2 IDI.
I do have a loud drone issue to sort out, which I anticipated.
I too will remove the remaining smog pump and hoses.